Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Remove Packaging? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/remove-packaging-88718.html)

Roll_Bones 01-20-2014 11:52 AM

Remove Packaging?

I buy frozen salmon and cod fillets at Costco in 3 lb bags. Each fillet/section is in its own vacuum sealed/packed plastic bag.
On each individual bag it is written to remove the packaging before thawing or cooking.
Why must I remove the fish from the bag to thaw it out?

I have been meaning to ask them at the store. But I doubt they know the answer. But I bet you guys do?

Rocket_J_Dawg 01-20-2014 12:20 PM

I've noticed that as well. I always assumed it was so the fish isn't laying around in it's own slimey goop as it defrosts.

Roll_Bones 01-20-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg (Post 1337997)
I've noticed that as well. I always assumed it was so the fish isn't laying around in it's own slimey goop as it defrosts.

I doubt they would care about that?
I am thawing out two sections of cod today. I am leaving them in the bag to thaw. Lets see if there is a valid reason?

Edit: I found these answers.

1) Because bacteria can develop during the thaw process, especially for seafood. When in an anaerobic (airless) environment, there is a chance of the formation of the bacteria Clostridium botulinum, also known as C-bot, a cause of food poisoning. By removing the packaging, you eliminate the risk of C-bot contamination. Just to be on the safe side, the FDA requires these guidelines for all vacuum-packed seafood.

2) A curious phenomenon with seafood. When it thaws in an anaerobic environment (vacuum packed), there is a chance it will develop Clostridium botulinum (aka: C-bot), a food poisoning. The chances are not great, but the FDA requires the warning on all vacuum-packed frozen seafood. The symptoms of C-bot are similar to botulism. C-bot is an anaerobic spore-former, and as such air kills it. Therefore take the frozen fish out of its vacuum pack and put it in a zip-lock with some air in it.

Katie H 01-20-2014 01:34 PM

Interesting information, RB. Logic would have told me that in order to avoid bacteria/contamination, the package should remain sealed. According to what you've found, the opposite is possible. I'll remember this for future reference. Although, I've been thawing our fish/seafood in the packaging, in the refrigerator, for years. Guess we've been lucky.

Kayelle 01-20-2014 01:41 PM

Interesting info to be sure! Thanks!

Roll_Bones 01-20-2014 01:59 PM

After finding more information, I removed the cod sections from the vacuum sealed bags. LOL....

And they are thawing on my counter, not in the fridge. I need them for this evening.

roadfix 01-20-2014 02:13 PM

I didn't know that. Good to know.

Roll_Bones 01-20-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadfix (Post 1338050)
I didn't know that. Good to know.

If you buy them you cannot miss the warning on the package labeling.
It says to remove the packaging before thawing.

So , if you did not know, you would when you open the bag and took out the sections.

PrincessFiona60 01-20-2014 03:07 PM

Must be a new warning...I haven't seen it on my purchases from Costco.

Kayelle 01-20-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 (Post 1338071)
Must be a new warning...I haven't seen it on my purchases from Costco.

Me either, or on similar fish packs from Trader Joe's.