Questions about this pork chop recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I found this recipe which looked good to me,

Orange-Mustard Glazed Pork Chops Recipe | MyRecipes.com

In reading over the recipe I was wondering:

1. Would this be okay to make in a cast iron skillet (wasn't sure about the acidity of orange juice)?

2. After the 10 minute roast, the recipe states to remove the onion and rosemary to a platter, and return the pan to heat to reduce the sauce. It then instructs you to remove the pork. Wouldn't it be better to remove the pork before reducing the sauce so the pork doesn't overcook? Or would it be better to leave the pork in to glaze it?

I found this recipe which looked good to me,

Orange-Mustard Glazed Pork Chops Recipe | MyRecipes.com

In reading over the recipe I was wondering:

1. Would this be okay to make in a cast iron skillet (wasn't sure about the acidity of orange juice)?

2. After the 10 minute roast, the recipe states to remove the onion and rosemary to a platter, and return the pan to heat to reduce the sauce. It then instructs you to remove the pork. Wouldn't it be better to remove the pork before reducing the sauce so the pork doesn't overcook? Or would it be better to leave the pork in to glaze it?

That recipe, though highly rated, raises a lot of questions for me too.

1/2 cup of orange juice; 2T marmalade and 1T mustard -- "Combine juice, marmalade, and mustard in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until syrupy."

That seems like a really long time for that little liquid.

Cooking anything acidic in a CIS can give food an "off" flavor and color but it's safe to do so unless digesting iron is bad for you, personally.

Yes. I would definitely remove the pork or you will overcook it. I'd even pull it before 135 and let it rest on the platter until it comes up to 140. Another example of a confusing recipe.

I wouldn't use cast iron unless it was enameled, Or you will have to reseason.

I would have no problem making something like this in my 56 year old cast iron skillet if I decided to make this dish. However, I can't add much on the other concern. The recipe doesn't sound like something I would even fool around with as "something different". Except in the case of some Oriental dishes, my family prefers savory pork chops.

Cast iron, if seasoned properly, isn't much affected by food pH. I've made many acidic foods in my cast iron with no metallic flavors leaching in.

As far as reducing eh liquid, you are barely simmering a half-cup of juice. There is a lot of water in juice. I think that you would be ok, just make sure that the liquid is barely simmering, or you will burn the sugars.

I too would be concerned about leaving the pork chops in the sauce while reducing. Not only could they be overcooked, but sugar is hygroscopic and will draw moisture out to the meat. I have this happen with pork and sweet & sour sauce before.

As the op suggested, I would think that reducing the sauce by itself, then ladling over the meat at the table would be the way to go.

If you want a glaze, reduce the sauce, brush a light coating over the meat, and place under the broiler, about 2 inches away, for about a minute.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom