Fish and chips with deep fat fryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice video PPO.

Thank you!

Great Video - for "not being from England" you did mighty fine! :)

This is very similar to how my family has done them forever.

Thank you!

If it fails again, I'm going to look into buying a frying pan like the one he has in the video. What is that thing btw? It looks like a shallow wok. Looks good for frying. I suppose I also should try frying the fish with my CoolDaddy at less than 375F too, maybe 350F.

It is a flat bottom wok. I did not use a thermometer but I would guess the oil was around 350.

If you are battering and frying previously frozen fish, gently squeeze the the pieces of fish to drain them of excess water. I, then, lay them on a good layer of paper towel to continue draining a bit. This will dry the fish out, preventing the excess moisture to leach out causing the batter to be soggy from the inside.....

Nice tip! Thank you.

PPO, questions about the video. What temperature do you figure you are using to fry the fish? How do you determine when the oil is at the right temperature?

Around 350. When the oil starts to get hot I add a drop of batter and see what it does. Sometimes I will also use something made out of wood (chopstick or skewer).

Powerplantop is quoting a "You Tube" video which is giving him inaccurate information.

It points out the need for scepticism when looking at "You Tube" as anyone can put any old unsupported rubbish on there.

I would say the one posting rubbish on the internet is you.

Powerplantop, thank you for sharing your video. The fish and chips does look fantastic, and you make it look so easy to prepare one of my favorite dishes. :yum: I noticed you have other videos and I'm looking forward to seeing those as well. :)

I have a feeling my $49 Presto CoolDaddy fryer may not be the best to use for proper fish frying. I've tested it with a candy thermometer and it gets near 375F. It works pretty well frying chicken drummetts. I'll try again using the mix in that video.

If it fails again, I'm going to look into buying a frying pan like the one he has in the video. What is that thing btw? It looks like a shallow wok. Looks good for frying. I suppose I also should try frying the fish with my CoolDaddy at less than 375F too, maybe 350F.

The Presto Fryers have a built-in thermostat. There is no way you can change that. So if you are looking for a higher temperature, it is not going to happen. :angel:

Powerplantop, thank you for sharing your video. The fish and chips does look fantastic, and you make it look so easy to prepare one of my favorite dishes. :yum: I noticed you have other videos and I'm looking forward to seeing those as well. :)

Thank you! I hope you find more recipes that you like.

I have two (2) Fry Daddy's. I keep one ready to go with fresh oil for when I need it.
So, I have much experience with using Presto Fry Daddy type fryers.

1) Make sure you add enough oil. There is a semi visible oil line. Add enough oil to just cover the line.
2) Allow the oil to heat for at least 10 minutes to assure its at full temperature.
3) Cut fish pieces into equal sizes. Smaller pieces do the best. So do thinner pieces.
4) Add small amounts at a time. With batter allow each piece to set a bit before adding any more. Do not over fill the fryer.
5) With fish and many other fried foods, wait until the fish floats to the top. This indicates it is cooked through, but may require a bit more to get it very crispy.

Batter dipped foods and flour/mixes coated foods are not the same. More care is required for battered foods. Frying chicken pieces requires little attention to detail, unlike battered foods.
The batter recipe above sounds like a good way to go. I make one very similar, but it contains equal parts corn starch to flour.

Last edited:
Way back when...my dad made the best fried fish.

Dad would pat the pieces of fish dry, then dip in flour, shake off the excess, and then into a beer batter. His beer batter was made from boxed pancake mix and beer, that was it. You might have to start out with a few tester pieces to see if you like a thick or thinner batter.

Dad's equipment of choice was the old electric fry pan. It maintained the temperature and didn't require a lot of oil, more like a shallow fry, using just a couple inches of regular vegetable oil. His fish was always perfect. I did the same for our family years ago until we all became more health conscious.

Way back when...my dad made the best fried fish.

Dad would pat the pieces of fish dry, then dip in flour, shake off the excess, and then into a beer batter. His beer batter was made from boxed pancake mix and beer, that was it. You might have to start out with a few tester pieces to see if you like a thick or thinner batter.

Dad's equipment of choice was the old electric fry pan. It maintained the temperature and didn't require a lot of oil, more like a shallow fry, using just a couple inches of regular vegetable oil. His fish was always perfect. I did the same for our family years ago until we all became more health conscious.

My dad also used an electric fryer. For fish and for his famous bollito's and conch fritters.
He also liked that he could set the temp and be done with it. You just have to make sure it comes back up to temp before adding a new batch.

Fried foods are not bad for you if you fry correctly IMO.
Most oils for frying are quite safe for consumption and we must admit fried foods do taste the best!

Back
Top Bottom