Irish Tea Loaf REC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Hi all. I just found this recipe today in my local newspaper

Irish Tea Loaf
Yields: 6 – 8 servings

1 ½ c hot tea
2 c golden raisins
2 c currants
1 egg, beaten
1 t mixed spice
2 t baking powder
1 c packed brown sugar
3 ½ c flour

Pour the hot tea over the dried fruit and leave to soak overnight. The next day, preheat the oven to 325ºF and butter a 7” cake pan.
Mix together the egg, mixed spice, baking powder, sugar, flour, and the dried fruit. Pour the mixture into the cake pan. Bake for 1 ½ hours, or until it tests done. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes before turning the loaf out onto a wire rack.
Serve hot or toasted, with butter.

My main question is, does anyone know what "mixed spice" is? Is it something readily available here in the US, or do I need to mix my own blend? Are there any UK members that can help?

mixed spice

this is a mix of aromatic spice powders, usually containing cassia, cloves and nutmeg. you could substitute a garam masala or baharat, or use ground pimento berries, also called allspice. HTH, ping if more info neded. :p
cheers
Waaza

Allen
If you like this recipe, you might like to try a slightly 'fancier' teabread recipe that I've posted in the Desserts forum. I make a couple of teabreads to have on hand for surprise visitors over the Easter holidays! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom