A case for soaking beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
I was reading about something called phytic acid today, and the recent discussion about soaking beans in the Black beans won't soften thread came to mind.

This topic stretches the limits of my 4th grade education, but it seems phytic acid reduces the nutrition that critters with one stomach can get out of things like seeds and grains and beans. Soaking is one way to decrease this "anti-nutrient."

You can follow this argument to the lunatic fringes where red meat fanatics rail against radical vegans, but I think I'll just go back to soaking my beans. It might do more than just shorten the cooking time.

I was reading about something called phytic acid today, and the recent discussion about soaking beans in the Black beans won't soften thread came to mind.

This topic stretches the limits of my 4th grade education, but it seems phytic acid reduces the nutrition that critters with one stomach can get out of things like seeds and grains and beans. Soaking is one way to decrease this "anti-nutrient."

You can follow this argument to the lunatic fringes where red meat fanatics rail against radical vegans, but I think I'll just go back to soaking my beans. It might do more than just shorten the cooking time.
And in shortening the cooking time it saves you money!1 or 2 minutes to rinse the beans and put in a bowl and cover with water and leave over night - seemples!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom