Liver with Pancake Qualities?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ae7_11

Assistant Cook
I had a strange discovery, maybe someone has seen this or knows of it's name, but here it is:

I made the base for a duck liver pate that was significantly lower in fat, with butter, chicken fat, egg yolks, and seasonings. The idea was to gently poach them in jars and so keep a smooth texture but more intense liver taste. I tested a small amount in a nonstick pan and it eventually cooked into a perfect blini. The texture had a bread-like quality and cooked through, and had the more intense flavor i was looking for. I literally pureed the liver with an immersion blender with a steady vortex and streamed butter/fat first, yolks unwhipped, then seasonings. No gluten, no starch. Does this have a name?

Darren

Sounds like a pate to me. Poaching it may lead to another name, but I can't remember it----- other than I used to do it using chicken or duck livers.

I believe you're thinking of a terrine. And I have to say again, there is no starch whatsoever and the only leavening agent could be the egg yolks, but I only added three to perhaps 3 pounds of liver.

Perhaps it is a terrine but terrines usually (I guess they don't have to be 'always') have coarse ingredients.

Where did you get the recipe? Or were you just 'winging' it?
This has my curiousity piqued and I'll have to keep looking on Google etc for what it might be other than another version of pate.

Haha, actually the flavor was quite good, and it opened up a few great ideas.

The idea was to make it lower fat and much more intense flavor, and the "blini" was purely an accident. I tested for flavor by spooning some into a nonstick pan cooked about two minutes and voila. Needless to say I saved some for playing with and it seems that either the fact that it was going into the pan cold or the aeration was lost from storage made the result far more delicate and harder to hold, but still blini texture and very good flavor. I assume both played a role, but I don't know why exactly. I'll try some other sites, but if anyone has heard of this or can give some insight shoot.

Darren

I believe that steam is actually the leavening agent. As it forces expansion in the emulsified liver, it also cooks the egg proteins, solidifying little bubbes in your cooked pate. I'm not sure what it would be called though. I'd thinks it would be outstanding on crackers.:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Steam makes sense, but it still doesnt seem to work well when it is cold to the pan. And I was thinking something grand like liver three ways, as a crepe, pate and croquette.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom