Sometimes You Just Have to Think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I was given some amazing venison by a friend. There were back-straps, and hams, three packages of each, with the packages weighing in at about 3 lbs. apiece. I was thrilled, and let him know how grateful I was.

The meat was cut into medallions, and butterflied. The deer that this meat came from was definitely corn fed, and premium. The butterflied tenderloin was exceptional in both flavor and texture. It was tender, with a rich, beefy flavor that just can't be found in a supermarket. Even DW, who doesn't like venison due to its gamey flavor was loving this meat.

I tried the ham. Again it was sliced into steaks by the butcher. I fried a little piece, to determine its tenderness. It was ok, but would be tough for DW. So I through it in the pressure cooker, along with fresh onion and a little water, just enough to make steam. I had already browned the meat of course, and seasoned it. I let the meat cook under pressure for 20 minutes. It came our tender, but very dry. That's not what I was looking for at all. This meat had too much great flavor. I had to come up with a better way of preparing it, without masking its flavor. That's where the thinking came in. Here's what I did.

2/3rds lb. venison ham steaks
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. Helman's Mayo.

Heat CI pan and add a tbs. of oil. Spread the oil around. Place all ingredients into a food processor with the blade attachment. Pulse until the meat is ground, and all ingredients are mixed together. Form into patties and pan fry until properly browned on both sides.

That worked. The meat was absolutely fat-free, and so needed the egg yolk to add body and hold the patty together, and the mayo to give it moisture. So if you ever have meat that's too lean, you can use my technique to make keep it's natural flavor, and make the texture worth eating.

My venison burgers did not taste as though they had any fillers. They tasted, and felt like pure, unadulterated, deliscious meat.:chef:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sounds good Chief. Next time try this: If the hams are butterflied, cut them in half,pound them wth a meat mallot dip in corn starch (no egg) and fry in butter & olive oil. Don't over cook. Comes out like chicken fried steak.

Sounds good Chief. Next time try this: If the hams are butterflied, cut them in half,pound them wth a meat mallot dip in corn starch (no egg) and fry in butter & olive oil. Don't over cook. Comes out like chicken fried steak.

I like chicken-fried-steak :mrgreen:. I would still be concerned with the extreme leaness of the meat causing it to be dry, unless cooked to no more than medium rare. I'm thinking that I'll be trying that soon. Thanks S&P.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom