Dinner Thursday, 2-13-14 ~ Did NO ONE cook today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Holey Moley, it's almost 10 PM on the east coast and no one started a thread? And I made a nice lo mein. Beef, if you must know. As a co-inky-dink, I bought much of my supplies from an Asian grocery market that GB (Hi GB! Glad to see ya!) told me about a few years back.

OK, doesn't matter if your dinner is done digesting, what did you have today?

Attachments

• 2014-02-13 21.34.12.jpg
    2014-02-13 21.34.12.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 265
Well CG, I didn't cook. I threw together a salad while the leftover pizza from last night baked in the toaster oven. Nothing exciting here. Your lo mein looks good!

Three Lindor Truffles, some cottage cheese, and a clementine. I would like some of CG's beef lo mein!

Last edited:
Still pooped from grocery shopping and Stirling ate at the game he plays with friends. I had a banana. I will have some of the double cream Brie I bought, when it comes up to room temperature. I'll probably find some other stuff to munch and have some halvah for dessert. :pig:

DH made some wonderful meatballs earlier this week; we had the extras tonight warmed up with Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce and egg noodles tossed with butter and chopped fresh parsley. I may have some butter-pecan ice cream before bed.

We had left over baked chicken, with some rice a nice salad and steamed Broccoli. DH did the reheating and salad making. I could go for some of CG's lo mein or some of GG's meatballs!

Wow guys, if I had known you'd all want my lo mein I would have made a bigger pan! As it was, the "serves four" served the two of us...twice. All gone. :yum:

I used this recipe on foodnetwork.com - it's a Rachael Recipe. I eliminated the red peppers because that's ALL we taste the rest of the night, but I doubled the scallions (Himself said I should throw in chunks of sweet onion next time) and also threw in some extra of the peas and mushrooms. Used about a half-pound of sirloin steak. Oh, and next time I'll cut back on the tamari. It called for 1/2 cup. I used about 1/3 and it was still salty. Next time I think I'll use 1/4 tamari and 1/4 rice vinegar.

Looks tasty, CG.
I nuked some black bean chili from the freezer and served over a grilled/baked potato and also had a piece of grilled kielbasa and two pieces of cheesey garlic bread.

We went out for dinner. Here is the menu. There were some things on the menu there that aren't on the online version. We shared spring rolls stuffed with pork and green onion - wow! I had the spinach salad (best EVER!) and the schnitzel. Ken had some of the salad and "pork and beans" which was actually some of the most beautiful tenderloin with a saskatoon berry glaze and the beans were baked with bacon and totally delish. Bugs had a chicken dish. Chicken stuffed with spinach and goat cheese with veggies on the side, and something with a touch of curry in it. Maddie had penne with spinach, goat cheese, some other nummies and a tomato/cream sauce. Dessert was tiramisu, caramel brulee and cheesecake balls.

I'm still full. That elliptical is going to be going full tilt for a LOOOONG time today.

I made tuna casserole, something I haven't made in years because I don't buy canned tuna and I don't use canned "cream of" soups, however, a friend dropped a bunch of her stuff at my place over Christmas, including some groceries. There were two cans of tuna, so...

CWS' Take on Tuna Casserole

1 T butter, melted
8 oz. chopped shitake mushrooms (rehydrated overnight, reserved the 1.5 c of liquid)
1 c diced celery
1/2 c diced onion
3 cloves garlic
a dash of cayenne pepper
2 tsp ground celery seed
1 c milk
1-14 oz. can evaporated milk
1/2 c Miracle Whip (another grocery item left behind)
3/4 c grated cheese (I used moz)
~3 T flour
1/4 tsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp mushroom soy sauce
2 cans tuna (water packed)
1 c frozen peas
1/2 c edamame
1 package "bow tie" pasta

1. In a dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat, saute mushrooms, onions, celery until softened (about 5 minutes).
2. Add soy sauce and celery "powder."
3. Strain reserved mushroom "broth" and add to the veggies.
4. Add milk and salad dressing. Whisk together and reduce heat.
5. Pour the evaporated milk into a bowl, whisk in flour and dry mustard.
6. Blend the flour-milk mixture with the other ingredients in the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.
7. Add cheese by the handful and whisk in until melted. Remove from heat.
8. Cook the noodles in a large pot of water to which the "water" from the cans of tuna are added. Cook the noodles until al dente.
9. Drain the noodles and cool in a pot of cold water (do not let the noodles cool for more than 4 hours or they will soak up all the sauce). Drain the noodles again and assemble the casserole, adding the tuna, peas and edamame to the sauce. Taste, if not "fishy" enough, add a splash of fish sauce.
10. Lightly grease a casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350. Mix the noodles in with the sauce, dump into the casserole dish. Dot with butter, sprinkle with dry bread crumbs, and top with additional cheese. Cover and bake about 35-40 minutes, removing the cover the last 5 minutes or so if you want it to brown more.

We went out for dinner. Here is the menu. There were some things on the menu there that aren't on the online version. We shared spring rolls stuffed with pork and green onion - wow! I had the spinach salad (best EVER!) and the schnitzel. Ken had some of the salad and "pork and beans" which was actually some of the most beautiful tenderloin with a saskatoon berry glaze and the beans were baked with bacon and totally delish. Bugs had a chicken dish. Chicken stuffed with spinach and goat cheese with veggies on the side, and something with a touch of curry in it. Maddie had penne with spinach, goat cheese, some other nummies and a tomato/cream sauce. Dessert was tiramisu, caramel brulee and cheesecake balls.

I'm still full. That elliptical is going to be going full tilt for a LOOOONG time today.
Sounds wonderful. That menu is sooooo tempting.

Back
Top Bottom