Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Cooking for a church (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/cooking-for-a-church-89033.html)

Vivi-cakes 02-17-2014 04:44 PM

Cooking for a church

Good Afternoon,

I have been asked to cook dinner for our church anniversary. I need help in planning the menu for about 125 people. The church usually goes with a $500 budget per service, which there will be 2. In the past years it has always been fried chicken, green beans, salad and fruit punch. I would like to do something other than that menu! If you any suggestions, recipes to share that would be great!

Thank you!:ermm:

jabbur 02-17-2014 05:08 PM

You could do an Italian dinner. Salads, bread and pasta, dessert. The pasta can be really easy if you use penne instead of spaghetti. You can have plain tomato sauce, garlic butter sauce, or sauce with meat (or meatballs). That has always been a popular dinner at my church.

Dawgluver 02-17-2014 05:20 PM

Jabbur's idea is a good one. Even a huge pan or two of lasagna.

My dad was our town's fire chief, the firemen would do a pancake breakfast/brunch for our town, pancakes, sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, syrup, and other stuff that I don't remember.

I also remember huge church potlucks, everyone bringing some type of hotdish or salad. It was always well-attended, and very tasty.

Another thought would be turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, the whole Thanksgiving thing.

Whiskadoodle 02-17-2014 05:33 PM

I hope you have help. A neighborhood church just had its 79th ! annual Ham Dinner. Some years I go, sometimes not. They never seem to change the menu from year to year. They do get a crowd.

Glazed sliced Ham, Swedish meatballs (homemade w gravy sauce), scalloped potatoes, green beans (canned) sweet potatoes ( plain canned, no imagination) good bakery rolls, carrots celery olives dill pickles. Choice of Pie for dessert. $11, $10 for seniors. Not sure if you are charging but I think this is a good deal, esp the meatballs.

CraigC 02-17-2014 05:36 PM

Do you have access to a BBQ, wood burning pit?

Aunt Bea 02-17-2014 05:52 PM

In this area ham loaf is still popular for church dinners.

I also like the lasagna idea.

Whatever you choose make it easy on you and your helpers, these dinners can be very stressful!

Good luck!

Dawgluver 02-17-2014 05:58 PM

Yes, I couldn't imagine doing this without help.

Aunt Bea 02-17-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1345304)
Yes, I couldn't imagine doing this without help.

Delegate, delegate, delegate! :ermm::ohmy::lol:

These events are great for teenagers to chop, stir, cook, serve, clear, seat folks etc...

Just having them help will increase the attendance if it is a fundraiser, all of the proud parents, grandparents etc...

Dawgluver 02-17-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt Bea (Post 1345306)

Delegate, delegate, delegate! :ermm::ohmy::lol:

These events are great for teenagers to chop, stir, cook, serve, clear, seat folks etc...

Just having them help will increase the attendance if it is a fundraiser, all of the proud parents, grandparents etc...

Brilliant, AB! Our schools have Silver Cord programs, teens get points for volunteer work, and get a silver cord to wear upon graduation.

Rocklobster 02-17-2014 06:52 PM

Here is an interesting and helpful website. If you scroll down to Main Dishes there are quite a few recipes which can give you ideas what to do. You can also get an idea of how much food you will need. There is a recipe converter which can convert any recipe to fit the amount of people you want to feed. Growlies BIG recipes Index recipes to serve 100 people or more