Peter Gilmore's Snow Eggs - Issues with poacher meringue and maltose tuilles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

victorhooi

Assistant Cook
On the weekend, I was trying to do Peter Gilmore's Snow Egg recipe (except I used lychees and strawberries, instead of guavas, which aren't in season):

Recipe: Peter Gilmore's Snow Egg - RN First Bite - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Quay's guava snow egg recipe | Gourmet Traveller recipe - Gourmet Traveller

The two stages I'm having trouble with are the poached mergingue, and the maltose tuilles.

1. Poached Meringues

For the meringues, I used these 6cm hemisphere moulds:

Half Sphere Silicone Baking Mould 60MM - D-003 - Novelty Tins and Pans - Cake Tins and Pans - Cake

I whisked the egg whites, then added in the sugar. I then used a spoon to scoop them into the moulds.

I don't have a baine marie, so I used a Pyrex baking dish, and filled it with 1-2 cm of water (not boiling). The moulds were new so they did curl a bit at the edges - so I wasn't able to get the water up that high, otherwise it'd overflow over the top.

I baked them for 15 minutes at 120C - still not done, so I left them in there for a bit longer.

What I found was that the top rose, and baked (as in, went hard), and then the inside was still mushy/foamy.

Even after nearly an hour - the bottom still hadn't really set at all - it was nearly impossible to get them to come out cleanly.

My partner mentioned possibly pipetting them into the moulds instead of using a spoon - don't know if that was the issue.

Any other suggestions?

2. Maltose Tuilles
Ok, this was a bit of a disaster...lol.

So the maltose was ridiculously hard to pour, possibly should have put in boiling water to soften a bit.

But I got it out, probably a touch more than 200g - maybe 220g.

I heated it in a copper-based pan with the sugar. The Gourmet Traveller recipe said 140 C - I tried to keep it around there - but it went a bit over, possibly to 150-160 C. Added the almonds, then poured out onto some baking paper.

The issue was - it seemed to say quite gooey, even after 30 minutes.

I put it in the freezer for a short period, just to chill it a bit - and that seemed to harden the praline somewhat.

Then I put it into a blender to get the powder. It whizzed through for a few seconds - however, then it seemed to revert back into gooey-ness, and actually seemed to jam up the blender.

So basically, I wasn't able to process it into the fine powder they mention, because the praline wasn't hard.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Victor

Back
Top Bottom