2/28/14: What's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I'll start :mrgreen:
Fried perch, spaghetti and macaroni salad.

I'm going to make some pork cutlets from a tenderloin, bread with panko and fry them. I have some katsu sauce to top them off. Steamed broccoli and some starch or other will accompany.

It was going to be Sicilian Spaghetti Bake, but that's been pushed to the back burner for tomorrow. Instead, tomorrow's supper of leftovers has jumped to the front of the line - I need to create holes in my refrigerator space so I know how much I can buy when I shop tomorrow. :LOL: I'll steam up the green beans that didn't get made last night, plus I'll saute up the last of the baby bok choy because it has to go...and it takes up a good-size spot.

Baked salmon cakes are on the menu tonight. I found the recipe a few days ago and decided to give it a try. The salmon cakes are baked in muffin tins. I'll serve a light homemade tartar sauce and lemon wedges with the cakes. I'll make a green salad and steamed broccoli drizzled with garlic olive oil as the sides. No dessert --- we're giving up sweets for lent and starting early!

I will be having some soup (maybe wonton), and may try some toast with something other than margarine on it as even though it is palm oil with no soy, lactose or any additives, it seems to bother me.

TB has his choice of leftovers - chicken, salmon and steak. I was thinking of making him a warm steak and mushroom salad with balsamic dressing. He may even want some of the salmon on it!

I didn't get a chance to go to the store, so I'll be warming up a couple cans of chili with beans, topped with sour cream and shredded cheese.

We revisited one of the new upscale steakhouses in town. Service was less than good. We know the owner, and he did say that our waiter, while charming, was also very lazy. It took 45 minutes to get a drink and have our order taken. They were not at all busy, people here eat early, and the rush was over.

That said, our steaks were some of the best we've ever had. We ordered from the "light" menu, and had 2 little 4 oz fillets, perfectly seasoned and cooked medium rare, with garlic mash and broccolini. They were out of bleu cheese crumbles, which we'd ordered, so the owner had them sub out the house sauce, which was excellent.

Last edited:
It was going to be Sicilian Spaghetti Bake, but that's been pushed to the back burner for tomorrow. Instead, tomorrow's supper of leftovers has jumped to the front of the line - I need to create holes in my refrigerator space so I know how much I can buy when I shop tomorrow. :LOL: I'll steam up the green beans that didn't get made last night, plus I'll saute up the last of the baby bok choy because it has to go...and it takes up a good-size spot.

You know what might be good next time? Sauté all your must-go veggies together, and make sure there's some type of onion in there. Then drizzle it all with a tasty sauce or nice vinegar. I love veggie combos sautéed together :wub:

We revisited one of the new upscale steakhouses in town. Service was less than good. We know the owner, and he did say that our waiter, while charming, was also very lazy. It took 45 minutes to get a drink and have our order taken. They were not at all busy, people here eat early, and the rush was over.

That said, our steaks were some of the best we've ever had. We ordered from the "light" menu, and had 2 little 4 oz fillets, perfectly seasoned and cooked medium rare, with garlic mash and broccolini. They were out of bleu cheese crumbles, which we'd ordered, so the owner had them sub out the house sauce, which was excellent.

Glad you enjoyed your meal, Dawg! :)

I still don't have the energy to cook, so we stopped by Church's fried chicken for dinner. Yummy chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy is a true comfort food. My dessert of butter-pecan ice cream topped with crushed buttery Trefoil Girl Scout cookies, extra pecans and a splash of Frangelico was the perfect ending. Night night, all.

...may try some toast with something other than margarine on it as even though it is palm oil with no soy, lactose or any additives, it seems to bother me....
If you're having wheat toast a tiny smear of honey is great. Not too much or it is cloyingly sweet. Peanut butter is good on cinnamon raisin toast. Sometimes I'll make a PB&J sammy with cinnamon raisin toast or bread. :yum:

You know what might be good next time? Sauté all your must-go veggies together, and make sure there's some type of onion in there. Then drizzle it all with a tasty sauce or nice vinegar. I love veggie combos sautéed together :wub:
Ended up saving the bok choy for Chinese something next week and ended up steaming broccoli to I could use up the last little bit of cheese sauce I made for something. Sometimes I mix veggies up together, but then they end up in the oven to roast. Have to remember to drizzle with a bit of balsamic the next time though - thanks for the idea!

Spaghetti and macaroni, eh? Any sauces on them? Perch sounds good. Any sauce on that? I need details! ;)

I like my fried perch breaded with Italian bread crumbs and a little ketchup on the side :yum:
The spaghetti was left over from the other night, spaghetti with meat sauce and sausage :pig:
And the macaroni salad was from the store. That wasn't so great. I think they used miracle whip :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom