Help! I don't think my No-Knead bread worked.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmyap

Sous Chef
This is what it looks like after sitting out all night. It is only slightly puffy and I do see a little bit of bubbles up against the bowl but shouldn't it be more risen?

Maybe my yeast was not good.:(

Is there anything I can do to save it?

Is that butter/shortening on the side or flour? If it's floury, Looks to me like it did it's rise and something knocked it down. Form and bake it.

Its flour. Technically it needs to rise for another five hours but I just thought it would have risen more by now.

I used Altons Knead Not Sourdough and my yeast should be good until Jan of 2015.

The bread gods are mocking me.

Last edited:
My no knead bread doesn't really rise much overnight, just gets bubbly looking. After forming the loaf and letting it rest it still isn't overly puffy. It seems to jump a lot in the oven. It doesn't rise in the bowl like kneaded bread.

My no knead bread doesn't really rise much overnight, just gets bubbly looking. After forming the loaf and letting it rest it still isn't overly puffy. It seems to jump a lot in the oven. It doesn't rise in the bowl like kneaded bread.

Ah, I see. I was expecting it to rise a lot, like a traditional loaf. I will finish the rise time and follow through and bake it.

Thank you all for your help. I was thinking about dumping it in the mixer and adding more yeast. That probably would not have been a good idea.

My no-knead bread rises like crazy and very rapidly. Did you test your yeast by mixing it with water and a bit of sugar?

Nope, but I did check the expire date on the package and it was Jan of 2015. Oh well. We shall see what happens. If it's a fail that I will have learned not to trust the expiration date on the yeast package and to test it!

I'm using instant yeast that is easily 4 years out of date, LOL. I didn't open this brick of it until about a year ago and keep it air tight in the fridge. I find instant yeast much more durable/reliable than active dry packets.

Alright! It was not a high riser but it did rise. And it smells delicious!

Even if it's a bit on the dense side I'm claiming it a success!

Oh that looks like Mamma's breads! There's nothing wrong with this! I'm so happy, you did a very good job of this.

I loved when Mamma would take her bread out of the oven and let it cool for a bit, then she and I would have a very nice slice with butter and raspberry jam on it. We'd sit with these and a cup of tea at the kitchen table and talk about everything!

Oh I miss her. But you did very well!

With love,
~Cat

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom