Fresh Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
I bought a small fresh brisket. The price was so right, I couldn't pass it by. Now what do I do with it? It is a flat end piece. I have only bought the brined ones before for a corned beef dinner. :angel:

Addie, even though it's 3 am my time, I got my requisite night's sleep. I went to bed early...

I had my eye on this brisket recipe. It appears in Southern Living March issue on-line. The reason I like the looks of it is it seems pretty easy to adjust the ingredients and with its long slow cooking time the house will smell really good all the while.

The only thing I know for sure is slice thinly across the grain when serving.

The Homesick Texan's Lone Star Texas Menu - Southern Living

Weekend Brisket Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Last edited:
Addie, even though it's 3 am my time, I got my requisite night's sleep. I went to bed early...

I had my eye on this brisket recipe. It appears in Southern Living March issue on-line. The reason I like the looks of it is it seems pretty easy to adjust the ingredients and with its long slow cooking time the house will smell really good all the while.

The only thing I know for sure is slice thinly across the grain when serving.

The Homesick Texan's Lone Star Texas Menu - Southern Living

Weekend Brisket Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Thanks Whisk. The weekend brisket recipe is perfectly. I have every ingredient except for the horseradish. But that is okay since I don't like it. :angel:

I bought a small fresh brisket. The price was so right, I couldn't pass it by. Now what do I do with it? It is a flat end piece. I have only bought the brined ones before for a corned beef dinner. :angel:

There's a simple way to fix it. Jewish cooking usually doesn't use as many spices as the delicious recipes you posted links to.

If there's one thing Jews know about cooking it's brisket! I think Seinfeld had some episodes about that. Or some show.
Jewish Grandma's Best Beef Brisket Recipe - Allrecipes.com

If you're not going to smoke it for 12-14 hours in a smoker, it's a pot roast. Cook it as you would any pot roast.

Our favorite is to cook it up as "taco" meat:

Cover w/ water, a cup of coffee and a little splash of liquid smoke. Let it cook until it's easily shredded w/ a fork. I pick out the fatty bits because I'm fussy like that.

Lightly fry a corn tortilla. Add meat, a sprinkle of chopped white onion, a dash of cheese (optional, I don't add it for mine) and cilantro. :yum: Repeat until full. Or comatose. :pig:

Last edited:
Our favorite is to cook it up as "taco" meat:

Cover w/ water, a cup of coffee and a little splash of liquid smoke. Let it cook until it's easily shredded w/ a fork. I pick out the fatty bits because I'm fussy like that.

Lightly fry a corn tortilla. Add meat, a sprinkle of chopped white onion, a dash of cheese (optional, I don't add it for mine) and cilantro. :yum: Repeat until full. Or comatose. :pig:

My favorite serving size...:pig:

Back
Top Bottom