Food For Thought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's old is new again? Bring on the "spek"! (What it's called in Slovak)

A generation or two ago they made (yummy) pie crusts with pure, homemade lard, baked breads full of wheat...but no HFCS, and used most ingredients from their unprocessed state. And lived into their 80's. Or in the case of my great-relatives galore, 90s and one 102. More and more, it seems the experts are showing that the old ways weren't so wrong after all.

Ah-ha, the old "coffee gives you cancer : coffee stops you having a heart attack." argument.

A lot of "good for you : bad for you" research is funded by the food industry ergo bound to be biased at the very least.

Everything in moderation. If they want me to keep eating wholemeal bread they'll have to put up with me spreading butter on it and I am certainly not going to go with the "healthy" bread and butter pudding recipe I once saw in a "healthy eating" article in a magazine - stoneground wholemeal bread, low fat margarine, skimmed milk, an egg and artificial sweetener. They had to give in with the egg but said it would be OK if you didn't indulge often. Often? - Never!

Last edited:
Mad Cook;1353774 not going to go with the "healthy" bread and butter pudding recipe I once saw in a "healthy eating" article in a magazine - stoneground wholemeal bread said:
:)

My local Whole Foods type market has a bakery with some very good looking pastries, cakes etc. but they often don't taste quite as good as the stuff from a local bakery/patisserie that doesn't stint on sugar/butter and other good stuff.

Guess where I'll buy when I want to indulge myself? :cool:

I have just prepared a bread and butter pudding as dessert for us and some guests tomorrow using Brioche which I have naturally sliced and BUTTERED, my homemade mincemeat as the filling, a 3 egg/milk/cream/ sugar combination custard to which, for good measure I added a spoonful of Rum, well the spoon slipped a bit, not my fault! and for the healthy option.......finely grated orange rind ( part of our 5 a day???)
Am I going to hell for this do you think? Answers on a postcard please ;)

I've been enjoying lard, butter, and other animal based fats for years. There are a lot of foods I have had no problem giving up - namely fast food, soft drinks, chips, and other highly processed products - simply because they don't taste good to me. But I must have my butter and eggs.

Now you'll have to excuse me while I go eat a hunk of cheese. :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom