Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Anyone tried Mission Super Soft yellow corn tortillas? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/anyone-tried-mission-super-soft-yellow-corn-tortillas-89442.html)

cave76 04-02-2014 03:12 PM

Anyone tried Mission Super Soft yellow corn tortillas?

These are really soft and don't crack when they're a few days old. BUT
here's the list of ingredients:

Ground Corn Treated With Lime, Water, Cellulose Gum, Propionic Acid (to Preserve Freshness), Benzoic Acid (to Preserve Freshness) Phosphoric Acid (Preservative) Guar Gum, Amylase.

This is probably a case of Better Mexican Food By Chemistry!
I've used them and they really do stay soft----but they don't taste authentic. It's nice for me (except for the chemicals) because I can use part of a package and the rest stay fine, even outside the fridge. Or in the fridge.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07...01_500X500.jpg

Chief Longwind Of The North 04-02-2014 03:31 PM

I love the taste of real, fresh corn tortillas. It's one of the things I loved about living in San Diego. The flavor is so intense. What pretends to be fresh corn tortillas where I live are nearly flavorless. To get the good stuff, I have to travel about 2 miles south to visit my P.A.G., Sprout, their husbands, and the sproutlets. Sprout purchased some tacos from a Mexican Restaurant she found and shared them with us. She also bought some tamales. They were absorutley amazing. Right Shaggy?

I have to learn to make fresh corn tortillas at home. I can no longer be satisfied with the inferior products available to me!

Anyone have a good recipe/technique, without the need for a tortilla press, or special, domed CI pan?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Mad Cook 04-02-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North (Post 1355424)
I love the taste of real, fresh corn tortillas. It's one of the things I loved about living in San Diego. The flavor is so intense. What pretends to be fresh corn tortillas where I live are nearly flavorless. To get the good stuff, I have to travel about 2 miles south to visit my P.A.G., Sprout, their husbands, and the sproutlets. Sprout purchased some tacos from a Mexican Restaurant she found and shared them with us. She also bought some tamales. They were absorutley amazing. Right Shaggy?

I have to learn to make fresh corn tortillas at home. I can no longer be satisfied with the inferior products available to me!

Anyone have a good recipe/technique, without the need for a tortilla press, or special, domed CI pan?

I'm probably not the person to answer this question but would this do?
Soft Corn Tortillas Recipe - Food.com - 419023

Cheryl J 04-02-2014 04:00 PM

I was curious, so I got out my package of corn tortillas to have a look.

They're "mi rancho" brand, and the ingredient list is corn, water, and lime. :smile: They're made by a small company in a predominantly Mexican community about 2 hours north of here. They're good - very 'corny'.

Unfortunately, I had to buy a package of 30 and there is no way I will be able to use that many before they go bad.

Chief Longwind Of The North 04-02-2014 04:04 PM

That recipe looks good, but is more of a Johnny-Cake than a traditional corn tortilla. Teh kind I'm looking for has no wheat flour in it, and is made of Masa Harina, salt, and water. That's it. I know what's in them, just not the ratio of ingredients, and more importantly, the technique for making them. But thanks for the effort.

cave76 04-02-2014 05:08 PM

Way back when we could buy fresh tortillas at a Mexican store where they made them. They would come off the conveyor belt type of a machine where they were made then snatched by a woman who would wrap them in plain white paper and twine.

They were GREAT!

Just a few years ago in New Mexico I could buy fresh tortillas, tamales etc from mamacitas standing on the street with their wares. Needless to say NM has very lax laws about such things. :yum: The tortillas made by hand were much thicker.

tropical cooker 04-03-2014 04:58 AM

Would this help?

How to Make Corn Tortillas, Homemade Tortilla Recipe | Simply Recipes

PrincessFiona60 04-03-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North (Post 1355424)

Corn Tortillas Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I always have a bag of masa harina around. Love the these corn tortillas, much nicer than store bought.

Steve Kroll 04-03-2014 07:53 AM

That's the same recipe I use, PF. And I agree, they are much better than most store bought. I use an inexpensive press to make mine and they come out great.

PrincessFiona60 04-03-2014 08:12 AM

Lookie what I found Chief!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTEnWmF4B98