Anyone tried Mission Super Soft yellow corn tortillas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
These are really soft and don't crack when they're a few days old. BUT
here's the list of ingredients:

Ground Corn Treated With Lime, Water, Cellulose Gum, Propionic Acid (to Preserve Freshness), Benzoic Acid (to Preserve Freshness) Phosphoric Acid (Preservative) Guar Gum, Amylase.

This is probably a case of Better Mexican Food By Chemistry!
I've used them and they really do stay soft----but they don't taste authentic. It's nice for me (except for the chemicals) because I can use part of a package and the rest stay fine, even outside the fridge. Or in the fridge.

0007373106001_500X500.jpg

I love the taste of real, fresh corn tortillas. It's one of the things I loved about living in San Diego. The flavor is so intense. What pretends to be fresh corn tortillas where I live are nearly flavorless. To get the good stuff, I have to travel about 2 miles south to visit my P.A.G., Sprout, their husbands, and the sproutlets. Sprout purchased some tacos from a Mexican Restaurant she found and shared them with us. She also bought some tamales. They were absorutley amazing. Right Shaggy?

I have to learn to make fresh corn tortillas at home. I can no longer be satisfied with the inferior products available to me!

Anyone have a good recipe/technique, without the need for a tortilla press, or special, domed CI pan?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I love the taste of real, fresh corn tortillas. It's one of the things I loved about living in San Diego. The flavor is so intense. What pretends to be fresh corn tortillas where I live are nearly flavorless. To get the good stuff, I have to travel about 2 miles south to visit my P.A.G., Sprout, their husbands, and the sproutlets. Sprout purchased some tacos from a Mexican Restaurant she found and shared them with us. She also bought some tamales. They were absorutley amazing. Right Shaggy?

I have to learn to make fresh corn tortillas at home. I can no longer be satisfied with the inferior products available to me!

Anyone have a good recipe/technique, without the need for a tortilla press, or special, domed CI pan?

I'm probably not the person to answer this question but would this do?
Soft Corn Tortillas Recipe - Food.com - 419023

I was curious, so I got out my package of corn tortillas to have a look.

They're "mi rancho" brand, and the ingredient list is corn, water, and lime. :) They're made by a small company in a predominantly Mexican community about 2 hours north of here. They're good - very 'corny'.

Unfortunately, I had to buy a package of 30 and there is no way I will be able to use that many before they go bad.

That recipe looks good, but is more of a Johnny-Cake than a traditional corn tortilla. Teh kind I'm looking for has no wheat flour in it, and is made of Masa Harina, salt, and water. That's it. I know what's in them, just not the ratio of ingredients, and more importantly, the technique for making them. But thanks for the effort.

Way back when we could buy fresh tortillas at a Mexican store where they made them. They would come off the conveyor belt type of a machine where they were made then snatched by a woman who would wrap them in plain white paper and twine.

They were GREAT!

Just a few years ago in New Mexico I could buy fresh tortillas, tamales etc from mamacitas standing on the street with their wares. Needless to say NM has very lax laws about such things. :yum: The tortillas made by hand were much thicker.

That's the same recipe I use, PF. And I agree, they are much better than most store bought. I use an inexpensive press to make mine and they come out great.

We use Mission Super Soft tortillas most every single time.

Flour and Corn.

Do you find the taste a bit different? I do, but not so much that I will stop using them. I get SO tired of throwing away old tortillas and I also get tired of making tortilla chips from those old tortillas. Or in chilaquiles. :)

Do you find the taste a bit different? I do, but not so much that I will stop using them. I get SO tired of throwing away old tortillas and I also get tired of making tortilla chips from those old tortillas. Or in chilaquiles. :)

Personally, I find the Mission brand fairly bland. If you are all about great fillings, then they are fine. They work, and are easy to work with. But I love that great flavor that I used to get from tortillas made at "The Tortilla Factory" in the Old Town part of San Diego, and also in the little Mom & Pop taco stands that used to be all over the place in Southern California. That aroma just filled your sinuses, with the flavor tickling your taste buds to make the fillings really come alive. I can't get that same experience with most tortillas found in supermarkets, hence the reason I made my own last night, for the first time. I know the ingredients to use, and even got the ratios of water to Masa Harina almost perfect. But they were a little too dry to fold easily, though they did fold without breaking. Also, I simply used a cutting board, parchment paper, and a wide, heavy egg-poaching pan to squish them into shape. They were perfectly round, with smooth edges (which was a great and appreciated surprise to me), but were a real challenge to make. It required considerable down force on that pan to squish them sufficiently thin, just using brute strength. When I made the dough just a little wetter, the tortillas stuck to the parchment paper and tore.

I plan on purchasing a press, then following the directions, so as to make the forming process easier. All in all though, using such primitive technique, they still had substantially better flavor that any I can buy at a store around here.

I don't make good food so that I can say; "Hey, look at me. Look what I can do. Rather, I make it because I enjoy eating and sharing it with family and friends. Otherwise, why cook at all. There's always Taco Bell if you just want to fill the belly.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I, too, find those Mission Super Soft tortillas a bit too bland.

I used to make my own using a tortilla press like the wooden one pictured here and another type that was metal.

I never had consistent results but back then I had family enough that a package of 'regular' corn tortillas didn't go to waste from getting too old to use.

Now I wouldn't have the strength to press down on those tortilla presses.
And life goes on.

My taste buds are not as they were years ago, so i cannot tell any difference. My best sense is texture. They feel good to me.

I, too, find those Mission Super Soft tortillas a bit too bland.

I used to make my own using a tortilla press like the wooden one pictured here and another type that was metal.

I never had consistent results but back then I had family enough that a package of 'regular' corn tortillas didn't go to waste from getting too old to use.

Now I wouldn't have the strength to press down on those tortilla presses.
And life goes on.

Bland? Bread is supposed to be bland?
I am a store bought tortilla guy. Never made a fresh one, and may have never eaten a fresh one. I do eat in Mexican restaurants as often as possible, so I most likely have had fresh ones?
So Mission Super Soft it is for me. Plus they last a good while in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom