A Friend just bought me a bag of shredded Brussel Sprouts, Now what ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Just got a bag of shredded Brussel Sprouts,

Im used to cooking/ eating them whole.

Any suggestions on what to do/ or how to prepare them?

I have a few ideas in mind, just curious other suggestions.

Even though Im a vegetarian, just let me know your ideas ( vegetarian or not) so I can get an idea.

thanks

Last edited:
1) I'm not vegetarian so I'd cut up pieces of bacon, fry them out and then take the bits of cooked bacon out, and quick fry the sprouts in the bacon fat. When they're tender enough, add back the bacon.

Don't know it you'd get the same results if you fried them in a light amount of oil with facon. I have no idea if it has the same smoky flavor as the meat version.

2) If you like fried cabbage and noodles you could sub the sprouts for the cabbage. A bit milder flavor but still tasty.

I would saute them a little, depending on how shredded they are with some butter and olive oil, maybe some garlic, salt and pepper and gobble them up.

Never had shredded sprouts. I think use in a stir fried combo with other fave ingredients. Like Fried Rice.
--

Combine cream and a dollop Dijon, garlic . Heat but do not boil.
Pour over crisp cooked brussels , carrots and sliced onion and any other veggies. Put the veggies on top of a little fettuccine or linguine and
pour on the sauce. Parmesan. I just made this up, but I think I would do something like this. Brussels sprouts can handle robust flavors.
--

I have to try brussels sprouts slaw.

Last edited:
Bubble and squeak, yummy!! or saute them with chopped chestnuts or mushrooms and parsley ( helps to stop the side effects if you know what I mean) failing that...........get a new friend??

I just recently saw a recipe for the slaw with shredded brussels sprouts. Never heard of it before, but it looked good. I think I would just like them sauteed in butter with garlic and onion. In fact, I feel like shredding some right now!

I'd probably be thinking stir-fried into Asian-style noodles or vegetables, or a slaw, like so many others have suggested. The sautees others have posted look fantastic as well.
Somewhere or other I saw a recipe for brussels sprout crisps, so I'd think with a bit of salt, pepper and evoo they's crisp up very nicely in a thin layer on a cookie sheet in a hot oven. Then you could use them like onion straws on soups, salads, black bean burgers with roasted red pepper aioli, sprinkled over hummus or tzaziki before you start dipping...

Now you've got me thinking and I may have to keep an eye out for them. Seems like it would be a lot of work to shred them at home but if I encounter them already shredded I might give them a go.

I say toss them into soup. I love them in soup, my wife hates it, so i chop them really finely so she cannot see it. Make soup taste so much better.

Thanks to all who shared recipes, links, and ideas for brussels sprouts. :)
There are some really tasty sounding ideas here.

Back
Top Bottom