Made popovers in my convection microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eachna

Assistant Cook
I made popovers today in my convection microwave.

It's been a few years since i successfully made them and so I did a "test" run in my regular oven to iron out the details. Other than putting too much butter in each cup of the pan (it puddled and flattened out the popovers) the oven run went smoothly.

Then, I tried them in my microvwave on the convection setting. Here's my recipe:

Popovers

• 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
(extra melted butter for pan)

1. MICROWAVE (100%) butter in a glass measuring cup 30 to 40 seconds or until melted. Warm the milk at the same time. Once both are warm, preheat microwave-convection oven to 450ºF (230ºC). Leave 6-cup muffin or cupcake pan in the microwave while it pre-heats to heat the pan as well.
2. Add milk and butter to the blender. Add eggs; blend for about 30 seconds. Add flour and salt, blend again just until smooth (do not overbeat or popovers will not pop). Rest while the microwave continues to preheat. Whiz in the blender to reblend for about 10 seconds when the microwave beeps. Add a small spoon of melted butter to each cup of the pan. Pour batter into each cup, filling it about 1/3 of the way, and place on the low rack.
3. Convection Microwave: Convection-only bake on low rack at 400ºF (200ºF) for 30 to 35 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Don't peek!!! Pierce when done to let steam escape. Serve hot.

Makes 6 Popovers

It went very smoothly. The cups in my pan are a bit big, so I only ended up with 5 popovers in each batch when I filled them halfway. I'm planning to try filling them 1/3 of the way next time and seeing if that works.

I think the key to making them in a convection microwave is to only use the convection setting. I'd tried mixed baking mode in the past and they weren't very crunchy. These were standing tall and proud, very crispy outside and fluffy/steamy inside, just like I remembered making in America.

So very much a day to be happy with my success :D.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom