Unusual events.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmyap

Sous Chef
Two unusual events happened to me this week. I got to watch the "blood moon" eclipse on Monday night. Very cool. And then my MIL goes and does something really nice.

Apparently she was culling her bookshelf and came across a cookbook given to her by a friend from way back in her school days. The friend's mother had gathered her families recipes and had them bound and gave them out to friends and family many, many years ago. MIL does not cook, I MEAN NEVER! So she asked me if I would like this cookbook. She'd only kept it because it was from her dear friend.

I'm really looking forward to receiving this book. I love vintage recipes and since it's a "family collection" I think it will be really special.

I watched the blood moon eclipse too, mmyap. Wasn't it fascinating?! :ohmy: There wasn't a cloud in the sky so it was a perfect view. Saw Mars and Saturn (I think it was Saturn), too.

What a nice gift from your MIL. I love those old cookbooks - my uncle gave me several of my grandmother's when she passed away, and I treasure them. I love reading her 'notes' she wrote in them. The other day I was looking through one and found some very old coupons that she used as bookmarks. :wub:

I'm really looking forward to receiving this book. I love vintage recipes and since it's a "family collection" I think it will be really special.

I would love that cookbook, too. I have one that was compiled by the wife of a prominent sports figure from the area. It also had pictures and stories about their family growing up.

I also have a cookbook compiled by an internet friend. A bunch of us who posted together sent our recipes, pictures, stories to one woman who had them put together in a cookbook and it was presented to one of the posters at her 80th birthday party. All who participated received a copy of the cookbook. Some even traveled to attend the birthday bash, but it was too far for me to travel, so I received my copy in the mail. It's really special to me.

I love vintage recipes and since it's a "family collection" I think it will be really special.

What a nice surprise for you. A memoir plus some good ideas.

I've saved a few recipes from my relatives ( mostly Mom) that are handwritten which give a double-whammy of nice-ness to it. Old scraps of paper that have turned yellow. I should really put them in an archival/acid-free type of packet made of glassine or ??.

Thanks for the sharing, and bringing up the subject mmyap. I also saw the blood moon, and it was spectacular.
What a nice thing for your MIL to do in giving you the book. Only people like those of us here would appreciate it.
Like you Cave, I have many hand written recipes of my mother's and I feel so close to her looking at them. It's occurred to me that sadly our mother's generation may be the last of hand written recipes. It's a sign of the times that few of us put a pen to paper anymore. I hand wrote a note inside a birthday card to a friend the other day and could barely remember how to write a paragraph without the ease of spell checker, or being able to back space and edit a thought.

It's a sign of the times that few of us put a pen to paper anymore. I hand wrote a note inside a birthday card to a friend the other day and could barely remember how to write a paragraph without the ease of spell checker, or being able to back space and edit a thought.

I understand completely! Will museums display the first poem written by a newly famous poet---- written using Word.doc? Sigh.

A few years ago, I purchased a binder style recipe book with divided plastic sleeves like a photo album has. It came with blank recipe cards and dividers. I have been "handwriting" recipes that are special to me and/or family members and compiling this book to hand down to my daughter/granddaughters. It might not mean much right now, but maybe later when I am gone..... I know how happy I was to to come across a couple of recipe cards in my grandmother's hand, that had been left behind in a drawer after my aunt and uncle had cleaned out her home.
As for ""unusual events" I didn't get to see the "blood moon". Too many clouds here :(

Last edited:
Thank you, Kayelle! I browsed through your link and put it in my favorites. I'll have a lot of fun there - wow, actual cursive handwriting and all. Just how my mother and grandmother's original recipes look like. :)

A few years ago, I purchased a binder style recipe book with divided plastic sleeves like a photo album has. It came with blank recipe cards and dividers. I have been "handwriting" recipes that are special to me and/or family members and compiling this book to hand down to my daughter/granddaughters. :(

That's a perfect idea for passing special recipes onto future generations. Too bad my mom didn't do that---- or me. But those were different generations.

Gentle nag here---- please check and see if that binder you bought uses archival materials in it. Maybe you've already thought of that.

Gentle nag here---- please check and see if that binder you bought uses archival materials in it. Maybe you've already thought of that.

Good question, I am thinking, not Cave. It was inexpensive. I do think it will last a good many years. I have two small scrapbooks that my mother-in-law put together with recipes clipped from newspapers and a few handwritten ones,they are in decent shape for being 50-60 years old, (definitely not archival materials) oh well at least mine will last that long ;)

Good question, I am thinking, not Cave. It was inexpensive. I do think it will last a good many years. I have two small scrapbooks that my mother-in-law put together with recipes clipped from newspapers and a few handwritten ones,they are in decent shape for being 50-60 years old, (definitely not archival materials) oh well at least mine will last that long ;)

If you're happy with it, that's all that's important.

When my mother passed away I had the presence of mind to grab her recipe box before anyone else. LOL I'm not talking a little box with index cards in it. It was a big box, similar to a shoe box. She had recipes she had written down, some she had clipped from magazines. I still have that box. I have followed some of the recipes but I still cannot duplicate her cinnamon rolls or her salmon croquettes. Just not the same.

A few years ago, I purchased a binder style recipe book with divided plastic sleeves like a photo album has. It came with blank recipe cards and dividers. I have been "handwriting" recipes that are special to me and/or family members and compiling this book to hand down to my daughter/granddaughters. It might not mean much right now, but maybe later when I am gone..... I know how happy I was to to come across a couple of recipe cards in my grandmother's hand, that had been left behind in a drawer after my aunt and uncle had cleaned out her home.
As for ""unusual events" I didn't get to see the "blood moon". Too many clouds here :(

Kayelle, I gave as a wedding gift, one of those binders to a coworker. She fell in love with it. She had some of her grandmothers recipe that were hand written and in bad shape. She wanted to rewrite them and this was the perfect gift for her. She was thrilled to get it. :angel:

Well, the book is here and it's really cute. Beautifully illustrated and it was apparently compiled to generate funds for a scholarship fund in the name of someone in the family who had passed away. What a nice idea. It's very homey, back of the label type recipes and I'm looking forward to trying them out. There is a cheese (cake) pie that is calling my name.

I have three binder now of my own recipes (stolen from here and other food websites) that I either use already or want to try out. There is a baking binder, a normal compilation of main dishes, sides and soups / stews and I've just had to separate out crockpot / pressure cooker recipes. Which is redundant because most recipes can either be adapted to crockpot or pressure cooker.

I assuming I'm not alone here and nobody is looking at me like I need a 12 step
program of some sort.

Mmyap, those are the best kind of cookbooks, IMO. There is so much family history associated with many of the recipes. How nice of your MIL to offer it to you! We have a family cookbook that someone in my MIL's family decided to put together many years ago, each extended family member submitted one or more recipes, their full name and where they live(d) is included with the recipes, so it's easy to figure out where they fall in the family. It doesn't matter that some of the recipes are made from packaged food or are repeats of popular or trending recipes from the past, it's just a great piece if family history. Hmmmm......I think we need one for my DH's dad's side, we just had a mini reunion last weekend and there were some yummy foods there! ;). Enjoy your "new to you book".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom