Crockpot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mumu

Senior Cook
Could someone explain to me what this means .....they say the high and low settings stabilizes at the same temperature which is 212 degrees and both reach simmer point of 209 degrees. Can someone explain this more? I also was told the high and low are just how fast you cook your food. That I get but the above I don't.

What is it that you don't get? If you want your food done sooner, you use high. If you want your food done later you use low. Don't over over think this and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I have a Hamilton beach 6 quart and called the customer service line. They told me the slow cooker will not simmer till the end of cook time . And the above I wrote about simmer point etc... Which was included in the box .....she now says to disregard it. And she also says the Hamilton beach is only a slow cooker not a simmering appl. And said only get a simmering at the end of cook time. Only way to simmer is if it had a control marked simmer. If not than turn down to warm for a simmer. Does that make sense.

Again, why do you care about simmering points? The whole purpose of a crock pot is to set it and forget it. It does the cooking, not you. Again, there's no need to over think it.

Not concern about simmering point it was in the box and I didn't understand it. Also I didn't know in the slow cooker ....crockpot the simmering was done only at the end. And I posted what she said in case she was feeding me a line.

Last edited:
Not concern about simmering point it was in the box and I didn't understand it. Also I didn't know in the slow cooker ....crockpot the simmering was done only at the end. And I posted what she said in case she was feeding me a line.

Unless the crock pot has a timer, the pot doesn't know when the end is near to know when to simmer. :rolleyes: Mine does not have a timer and it works just fine using a clock on the wall.

I meant when time is up you will see a boil on low!

On low ours will reach a slow simmer at around the 6 hour point. On high it reaches the slow simmer point at about the 3 hour point. It's also a Hamilton Beach. Hope this helps.

It's a bit odd that she contradicted the instructions that came with the crock[pot.

I have two slow cookers - one is a Crockpot and the other a different make. Both have high and low settings but both settings on both slow cookers boil furiously. A while back someone on here said that the newer slow cookers cook on a higher temp than the original ones because of the danger of food poisoning due to the contents not getting hot enough which sounds like the crazy thinking of a manufacturer who's afraid of being sued!

It's a bit odd that she contradicted the instructions that came with the crock[pot.

I have two slow cookers - one is a Crockpot and the other a different make. Both have high and low settings but both settings on both slow cookers boil furiously. A while back someone on here said that the newer slow cookers cook on a higher temp than the original ones because of the danger of food poisoning due to the contents not getting hot enough which sounds like the crazy thinking of a manufacturer who's afraid of being sued!

MC, it's my guess that the customer service gal on the phone with her was frustrated. :rolleyes:;)

No she was not frustrated at all. She was very thoughtful and kind in every sense of the word.

Mumu - I understand exactly what you are saying. My crockpot also heats to boiling on both high and low settings. Mine also has a "warming" that happens after the time setting I chose has been met. The warming setting stays on until I unplug or hit the off button. You would think that the low setting would be a cooler temp (<212), or I should say provide less heating capability, than "high". If that was the way your stove worked all you would need is an "ON" and "off" button. Obiviously we have settings from low to high.

Could someone explain to me what this means .....they say the high and low settings stabilizes at the same temperature which is 212 degrees and both reach simmer point of 209 degrees. Can someone explain this more? I also was told the high and low are just how fast you cook your food. That I get but the above I don't.

You asked this same question here and at other sites in September ...

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/crock-pot-advice-on-temp-87018.html

As I said before there were some pranks pulled on me before ......as I have explained before. That is why it is posted at that other site. Again this was pranks. And when I posted here I never got a answer except what you posted about another site. So I asked again. If you don't mind could you or any one else who keeps bringing up other sites stop,this has been taken care of.:) thank you! Also the only reason I post here is to learn from you guys,and I do appr. All the help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom