What's for dinner on the double nickle? 5-5-2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Who Cooks

Executive Chef
Trader Joe's Coq au Vin (pre-prepared, refrigerated) and home made mashed potatoes from a few days ago. Probably some kind of biscuits with that, please! :)

I'm planning to pound out some boneless pork chops and bread them with grated parm and panko. A little lemon at the table and a salad.

I don't know what to call it but I am making something my mother made when there was little money. She would soften up some chopped onions and sliced celery and then she would add 1 pd. of ground beef. After this was cooked she would add some chopped canned tomatoes, salt, pepper and some oregano. Simmer this for a while and at supper time we would put this on mashed potatoes. Brings back lots of great memories around the supper table.

Mac 'n cheese made with a mixture of cheddar and red Leicester cheeses with the last of the broccolini and peas tonight. A good one dish meal. Though I sez it meself as 'appen I shouldn't it was so good I had to have seconds. An orange to follow and with my breakfast banana on my cereal and the mixed salad on my sandwich at lunch I've had 6 of my 5-a-day. (Or seven if the glass of wine counts. It doesn't? Spoilsports!)

It's Cinco de Mayo. Poor planning on my part, I am at the farm and didn't bring a lot of ingredients...so tonight it is steamed veggies, a tossed salad, and some leftover chicken Jalfrezi.

Doctoring up the poor excuse we got for takeout pizza last night. I put on more pepperoni and extra shredded mozzerella, along with a liberal dose of pepper flakes. Broiled in the toaster oven.

Last edited:
A northernized version of Taco Salad. Iceberg lettuce first tossed with Catalina bottled salad dressing then piled with seasoned ground beef, grated cheese, pico de gallo, more sliced baby tomatoes and cucumber. On the side seasoned pintos. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with the lime slices. Dab a little behind my ears I guess.

A northernized version of Taco Salad. Iceberg lettuce first tossed with Catalina bottled salad dressing then piled with seasoned ground beef, grated cheese, pico de gallo, more sliced baby tomatoes and cucumber. On the side seasoned pintos. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with the lime slices. Dab a little behind my ears I guess.

Margarita! Or squeeze them over the salad for the zing factor.

I don't know what to call it but I am making something my mother made when there was little money. She would soften up some chopped onions and sliced celery and then she would add 1 pd. of ground beef. After this was cooked she would add some chopped canned tomatoes, salt, pepper and some oregano. Simmer this for a while and at supper time we would put this on mashed potatoes. Brings back lots of great memories around the supper table.

Well, if you mixed in some cooked shells or elbow macaroni instead of serving over potatoes you could call it goulash ;)

All this talk of asparagus had me wanting to wrap some in bacon and cook it on the grill with some warmed up leftover steak from the other night, but alas, the store only had four pathetic looking wrinkled bunches on the shelf... sigh... but the bell peppers were looking good, so steak fajitas cooked in the mesh grill pan instead.

I grilled a couple of ribeye steaks. I had planned to serve them with mushrooms, bacon wrapped asparagus and baked potatoes. With little sleep last night I wasn't quite with it on my timing so we got steaks, nugget potatoes and the deli salads from last night. It still all tasted good! :)

Trader Joe's Coq au Vin (pre-prepared, refrigerated) and home made mashed potatoes from a few days ago. Probably some kind of biscuits with that, please! :)

Back from the market, I got a can of 5 Pillsbury flaky buttermilk biscuits for $1.29 and a variety of vegetables for either a dip or a salad.

Probably lots of people spend more time on mashed potatoes but I just chop the whole potato (unpeeled) into chunks and boil till soft, drain, then mash in some cream and butter. I like 'em rustic!

Because it was supposed to be (and is) a beautiful day today and I wanted to spend it outside playing, well gardening, trimming trees, etc., I put a nice piece of beast into the crock-pot, along with some 'shrooms, chopped onions, red wine and a can of cream of mushroom soup. We'll have that with some mashed taters and a couple of ears of fresh corn-on-the-cob. Iced tea will wash it down and we'll finish up the blackberry cobbler for dessert. Great day!

After dragging the Ogre through the Health Care System today, it was too late for me to go into work for a few hours, so we went to Noodle Express and I had Asian Green Beans, Chicken Osaka, Asian Slaw and Brown Rice. Shrek had a bowl of rice with different sauces on it and a few pieces of my chicken. He had ordered Halibut Osaka, but the fish was dry and he didn't like it. Then we went to the bakery next door and bought two pieces of jalapeno cornbread and cheddar.

Tonight for dinner I will have the rest of my green beans and a chunk of the cornbread. Not sure what Shrek is having, he says he won't be hungry.

Cream of Porcini soup for starts. Then, I have some pizza dough rising for one Cappicola and one Napolitano....
Got lazy and just rolled out one pizza....

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 175
Question for those of you who grill bacon-wrapped asparagus on the outdoor grill: What thickness of bacon do you use? Planning out the menu for what I want Himself to fix for dinner on Moms' Day this Sunday and I know the asparagus will be much more favorable to him if it's encased in bacon. Not his favorite veggie.

Tonight it will be the pork chops and chicken breasts that were supposed to be grilled yesterday, along with corn on the cob. I have a couple smashed redskin potatoes ready to go into the toaster oven. Skipping the salad tonight. The chops look so pretty I'm thinking of chilling a bottle of white. Yup, wine with dinner it is! :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom