Barbeque vs Grilling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raine

Executive Chef
This is a term and technique that is way too often misundertood or been diluted.

BBQ no matter how you spell it is a method of long/slow cooking over wood coals.

It is not a device you cook on.

It is not sauce.

Grilling is cooking high heat and fast, no matter what the heat source.

i can't agree enough rainee. i am a griller; food is cooked directly over coals. i would love to learn the art of the 'cue, but i never have enough time. over the years, an old friend and i have done whole pigs and lambs on a spit, low and slow, but it was over coals, so i'm not sure what you would call that.

i have recently started to use all hardwood charcoal for grilling. i think kingsford sells it now in bags. and i use the newspaper chimney method to get them started. you can't beat the taste over real coals, not briquettes or (gasp) propane, and there's no chemical taste from the lighter fluid. propane grilling has it's merits like temp control, but you might as well just move your stove outside. also, i hate when someone starts their charcoal with a whole bottle of lighter fluid. the food cooked on it taste's terrible, even after the coals are all ash.
charcoal briquettes are ok, but all hardwood is the way to go for flavor. the briquettes are especially susceptible to the bad taste of lighter fluid, but do burn longer. a mix of a few briquettes and hardwood charcoal would help the grill burn more evenly.

Kingford has a lot of filler these days. Try to find some lump charcoal.

yep, that's what i meant, lump charcoal. it's just chunks of charred hardwood, no fillers, coal, or other combustibles. smells just like a campfire, and the food cooked on it is delicious.

and it burns out a lot faster too, so you may have to add some to keep it going. or like i said, mix in a few briquettes to stretch it out.

Rainee said:
Grilling is cooking high heat and fast, no matter what the heat source.

Then sauteeing would be grilling. Or microwaving.

Most definitions of "grill" that I have seen either refer to the noun form as a device, a metal grate used to cook food over a direct heat source; or to the verb form, to cook food on a metal grate over a direct heat source. But I'll try to look it up in LG soon.

You're right, BBQ is not a device, but a "BBQ grill" is.

Lump charcoal is the only way to go for me. TJ's sells "Cowboy" brand at good prices.

When the 2 feet of snow melts maybe I'll drag the old girl back out!

Rainee, I think the term 'BBQ' is one of those 'crossover' terms I was talking about in another topic.

Yes, you're absolutely right in your definition of 'low and slow', but I think it's just become common use to say 'let's BBQ some hot dogs Sunday' !

However, cooking on a bbq grill, doesn't make it BBQ.

Marm, that is because the term got diluted. From people looking to take short cuts, or companies trying to make a buck and enlarge their customer base.

That is exactly why I think we need to clear it up.

depends on what you cook, and how you cook it.

Like I said, it is a method.

We don't mop, but probably can come up with a couple.

I'm probably in the minority here, but when I use the term BBQ, it's a reference to a outdoor party at my place or my brother's place. What we cook and how we cook can vary drastically, depending on the day.

I rarely use the term "grilling", even though I have a gas grill and that's probably the correct term to use for the foods I cook on it. Bottom line: whether it's a grill or BBQ, just tell me where and when, and I'm there. :)

In the South that social event would be called a pig pickin'. Of course, a whole hog would have been cooked(bbq), and everybody would show up the next day and eat. So, if you say you are having a bbq you'd better be serving bbq, or you will have some PO'd guests.

Grilling is refered to as cook out. Cook out means, hamburgers, hotdogs, steaks, etc

We are a little leary of cowboy lump. It hasn't gotten very high marks from the competition circle and other bbq fans.

check out this site on the different brands of lump.

lump

test... it didn't insert the picture

Last edited:
marmalady said:
Rainee, I think the term 'BBQ' is one of those 'crossover' terms I was talking about in another topic.

Yes, you're absolutely right in your definition of 'low and slow', but I think it's just become common use to say 'let's BBQ some hot dogs Sunday' !

I am with you on this one marmalady. I know Rainee doesn't agree with me and that is just fine. If I used the word "grilling" or the term "cook out" here, well people would think I was nuts. If I said "Come over for a BBQ" everyone would know what I was talking about. I am well aware of what the term means to many of you south of the border, but we are more flexible about it here. I am so glad we have a "Cross Over Term" thread going, I think this one is a perfect example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom