"Cooks Illustrated" - recommended?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
On the basis that you all seem very taken with ATK I signed up for the newsletter a while ago and there's currently a special offer of a 3 month free trial of "Cooks Illustrated" magazine, The free offer doesn't apply to me as I'm overseas but I googled to see if the mag is available on-line in the UK which it is, either as a one-off edition or a subscription.

Now the sticky question to anyone who knows the magazine.. Would you recommend it for an experienced cook who still wants to learn or is it really aimed at the beginner?

Thanks in advance.

In my humble opinion, CI recipes (along with America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country TV show recipes) are way too fussy. They tend to make recipes more complicated in order to make the "perfect" result.

Some of their recipes yield very good results but you probably already have a recipe for the same dish that works great.

Also, they are very financially driven. The magazine is expensive in the US and their websites require a paid membership for regular use.

In my humble opinion, CI recipes (along with America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country TV show recipes) are way too fussy. They tend to make recipes more complicated in order to make the "perfect" result.

Some of their recipes yield very good results but you probably already have a recipe for the same dish that works great.

Also, they are very financially driven. The magazine is expensive in the US and their websites require a paid membership for regular use.
Thanks, Andy.

I have been a subscriber for over a decade. I love it because their process is like a scientific experiment: They try many different variations of ingredients and techniques to determine what works best and describe it all in detail. There are a few of their recipes I use regularly, but primarily I read the magazine to learn about the science behind successful recipes. I also have a subscription to the website so I can look up articles and recipes easily. $20 per year isn't exorbitant for that convenience.

It is more expensive than other cooking magazines, but that's because there are no ads. I love that.

I agree with both Andy and GG.

Cooks Illustrated is a great magazine for learning. And its definitely not aimed just at beginners. But sometimes the recipes can be "fussy" like Andy said.

The recipes in their original cookbook "Best Recipe" seem more straightforward.

The food drawings on the back cover enchant me. Ive framed some of them.

I would say that even an experienced cook could get stuff from them, but they are overpriced.

Different approaches to preparations are the best things that I've gotten from CI, not necessarily the recipes. I just apply some of their "tricks" to my recipes because I like my recipes better.

I was given a subscription once and found it fun to read and did learn a few things. I did not renew my subscription.

A few weeks ago, I left the car dealership with a copy that was in the waiting room.
I read every article and found issue with each one.
To fussy? Maybe.
They had an article on pot roast. They used a chuck eye! Enough said.

I have always used a boneless chuck roast for pot roast, chili, soups and stews. I'm not sure if the chuck eye is the same cut as the boneless chuck roast I see.

I have always used a boneless chuck roast for pot roast, chili, soups and stews. I'm not sure if the chuck eye is the same cut as the boneless chuck roast I see.

When making a pot roast, chuck flavors the whole meal. From the gravy to the veggies. :angel:

RB - not for me ;) Is there a problem with using chuck eye for pot roast? That's the cut I use and the one recommended here: https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/cuts/Detail.aspx?ckey=115

Would you use a rib eye for pot roast? See explanation below. ;)
The pictures of chuck eye in your link look nothing like what we buy. The chuck eye steaks we buy look very similar to a rib eye steak.

Its not the same Andy. I also use boneless chuck for these things you mention.
The chuck eye is a very tender cut and is well suited for grilling, frying or broiling. Melt in your mouth tender.
I have found some that were so pretty, I could have passed them off as rib eye steaks.
In fact, chuck eye is as tender as rib eye. Provided you cook it like a rib eye. This is why I would NEVER use chuck eye for pot roast. I never see whole chuck eye anyways. Only steaks.

I used to be able to buy chuck eye steaks in the 70's for under a dollar a pound. They now cost almost as much as rib eye or NY strip.
I pay $6.99 a pound for them. They were $2.99 a pound just a few short years ago.

You must be a good shopper and know how to pick the perfect cuts though. I may come across many during several trips to the store before I see some I cannot leave in the meat case. My wife also keeps her eye out for them and surprises me sometimes. She has a very good eye for chuck eye.
The butchers know this to. They are known to hold the best ones back for themselves.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pictures I found that are what we look for and buy.
I also found the picture from the link above and it was the absolute worst depiction of a chuck eye steak I have ever seen.
Looks that author also wants to keep the prices low.

Attachments

• chuck eye.3 jpg.jpg
    chuck eye.3 jpg.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 85
  • chuck eye.jpg
    chuck eye.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 84
  • chuck eye 2.jpg
    chuck eye 2.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 84
  • chuck eye 3.jpg
    chuck eye 3.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 85
I love America's Test Kitchen AND Cook's Country. They provide a free weekly e-mail, usually includes a video of a recipe. When possible I'll watch their show on Public TV and enjoy every one.

I used to get the magazines of both but would run out of time before finishing so switched to their large cookbook.

I really trust their recipes and advice, not that I'd make all of them but I've learned a lot...and I've been cooking for more than 40 years.

Yes, several of their baking recipes are just too fussy and time consuming but when it comes to their meat items, the best out there. Many have become family favorites and never could have made them without their help.

The on-line subscription? I tried it for one year, there is way too much on it, could have become addicting if I had the computer on all day.

One thing I don't like, also true for some other companies, they will automatically renew a subscription, even without permission to do so. Fortunately I use a store purchased credit card with a limited amount so this can be avoided, not to mention I won't splash my regular credit card info on the computer. If you read the small print of many subscriptions it says it's up to the customer to notify the company or automatic subscriptions to whichever will be charged to your bank card.

Regarding their recipes, yes, I love their meat and pasta dishes. Desserts are way too time consuming. Try to find them on your computer, current year of both ATK and Cook's Country are offered free, complete with videos and recipes. Might take a little digging but it really is there.

I just want to know how many of you actually get out a tablespoon and measure out exactly two tablespoons of oil before you begin to sauté a food? One small "glug" does it for me.

I just love the amount of bowls they use for a recipe. Five small bowls for seasonings and four of them get dumped into the largest. I don't have a paid dishwasher. Not even an electric one. Take the top of the jar off, stick the spoon in and measure. Does it for me.

And how come ALL their pans look like they just came from Amazon and never used before? Would they please send me someone to scrub my pans to look like theirs? Arthritis does not allow me to keep my pans shiny new. Specially since some of my pans are more than 30 years old. They are well used and loved. Can they say that about their pans?

And nothing ever sticks in their pans. Everything just slides out. Never a failure. I can just hear my pans talking to each other.

Fannie Fry Pan: Oh I am so embarrassed. I ruined her breakfast this morning. I burnt her omelet.

Cathy Crock Pot: Don't fret Fannie. I have had my failures also. One day I grabbed all the potatoes in her stew and made them stick to my bottom. She had to scrape them loose. We all have had our failures.

:angel:

Marketing. They're not going to show anything less than a pristine, shiny skillet on the cooking shows any more than you'd see a dirty, muddy car on a new car commercial....or a cluttered house on the final reveal of a remodel on HGTV.

They don't care how many bowls there are to wash when they put the pre measured ingredients in the 5 or 6 mise en place bowls. It's all about showing how convenient it is to make their featured dishes, and the amount of time they have to prepare them. They don't have the recording time to stick a spoon into several jars of herbs or spices.

Most of us here know about how much of a 'glug' of oil to use without getting out the measuring spoons, but many beginning cooks do not. We all had to start somewhere. :)

Off to bed. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom