Household Cleaning Liquid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
For a long time I've been using Barcolene liquid. It's concentrated and is added to a bucket of water, to thoroughly clean the kitchen and bathroom floors as well as my deck. It did a great job, loosening the dirt in the grout and such. It looked toxic as a day-glo green liquid in a clear bottle with an orange label.

I can't find it anywhere. Not in stores and not online.

What do you recommend as a replacement.

I've heard good things about Simple Green, though I haven't used it.

I mix 1/3 part each of rubbing alcohol, white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and use it for my floors.

I usually swiff.

If things really get out of control I put a glug of clorox and a squirt of dish soap in a pail of hot water, get down on my hands and knees with a scrubber and a dish towel, sort of an arthritic old roomba! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Simple Green is a decent all around cleaner for inside and outside. And it smells nice.

I usually swiff.

If things really get out of control I put a glug of clorox and a squirt of dish soap in a pail of hot water, get down on my hands and knees with a scrubber and a dish towel, sort of an arthritic old roomba! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

LOL! I crawl around, too.

Getting back up is the problem! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm finiding that out. Been working on exercises that help me get off the floor without grabbing onto furniture.

I usually have Clorox All Purpose Cleaner and just glug that into a bucket with hot water.

Getting back up is the problem! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I hear that! When I do this level of floor cleaning, it's on all fours with a stiff bristle brush one tile at a time with surrounding grout. Sometimes a stiff toothbrush is called in.

Pleas note, I'm not often that ambitious.

I had one years ago and I did most of the cleaning before she arrived because I didn't want her to think I was a slob! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I do that too! My cleaning lady already KNOWS I'm a slob! :LOL:

She's also told me, "Oh, Honey, you have no idea what I see every day! This is nothing!"

Last edited:
I hear that! When I do this level of floor cleaning, it's on all fours with a stiff bristle brush one tile at a time with surrounding grout. Sometimes a stiff toothbrush is called in.

Pleas note, I'm not often that ambitious.

You need to get yourself a deck cleaning brush with a swivel heand and handle. Ace has them for around ten bucks.

I had one years ago and I did most of the cleaning before she arrived because I didn't want her to think I was a slob! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
I had one when I was working full time. She was a treasure - even did the ironing and changed the beds.

One day I let slip at work that I had a cleaning lady and from the reaction I got you'd have thought I was sending 7 year old children up chimneys! The fact that I paid her a fair wage didn't seem to matter - I was employing a servant and that was beyond the pale!

Why? She was earning a wage by cleaning for other people who needed her help and she did it well. And I was very grateful. How is that demeaning?

I had one when I was working full time. She was a treasure - even did the ironing and changed the beds.

One day I let slip at work that I had a cleaning lady and from the reaction I got you'd have thought I was sending 7 year old children up chimneys! The fact that I paid her a fair wage didn't seem to matter - I was employing a servant and that was beyond the pale!

Why? She was earning a wage by cleaning for other people who needed her help and she did it well. And I was very grateful. How is that demeaning?

I have an idea that this may be a cultural reaction from your British co-workers. "Servants" have never been the norm here. Some people here have "live in help", "cleaning ladies", or "maids" but to my knowledge they've never had the British equivalent of servants.

They were just jealous you had a cleaning lady, and they didn't.;)

I have an idea that this may be a cultural reaction from your British co-workers. "Servants" have never been the norm here. Some people here have "live in help", "cleaning ladies", or "maids" but to my knowledge they've never had the British equivalent of servants.

They were just jealous you had a cleaning lady, and they didn't.;)
It was a bit of a joke really. Little did they know that one set of my great grandparents were real servants - he was the valet and she was the housekeeper.

Back
Top Bottom