HELP (again!) need your advice IMMEDIATELY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovin

Senior Cook
I screwed up! Darn...I hate this metric thing. I will NEVER get used to it! I was trying to figure out how much pineapple I needed in my Pineapple Nut Drop cookies when it said I needed a 10 oz can. The cans here are 389 mls. So somewhere I had checked to see how many mls to an oz..or vice versa and realized that if I used a 1/4 cup of pineapple extra (from an 8 oz measuring cup) then it would be the equivalent of 10 oz.

The problem is that I didn't measure out an 8 oz cup! I used the whole can PLUS 1/4 cup and dumped it into my batter before I realized it. So, I have the equivalent of 448 mls and about 1 and 1/2 times the pineapple that it called for. DARN! Now, what the heck do I do? Here's the recipe and I've only gotten to the part where I added the pineapple and the nuts.

2/3 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
one 10 oz can crushed pineapple including juice
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt.

The next part is just to add the dry ingredients....

Should I add extra flour and baking soda and salt? Darn! I don't want this batter to be so juicy that it will run all over the cookie sheet.

Thank you for your help and I'll wait till I hear from some of you experts.

Jovin

Last edited:
I'm not a baker, but it seems that if you multiply your other ingredients by .5 and add that amount of each, you will simply have increased your recipe by half.

it's more serious than that.

canned goods in USA are almost without exception specified by weight, not volume.

grams = weight, convertible to ounces
ml = volume, convertible to ounces, just not the same ounces.

a 10 ounce by weight can is not 10 fluid ounces by volume.

it's not easy being metric.

Last edited:
I agree with Craig. No baker here either, but as long as you get a cookie-like dough, you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom