ISO menu ideas for 50th birthday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
The DH's 50th is in July. I have invited some people to join us (he doesn't know a lot of people). I have three guests who are vegetarian, two that don't eat garlic or anything spicy, one who follows the Paleo diet, another who doesn't eat red meat (chicken, seafood are fine). The rest of us (the minority), eat anything. The time is 3:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. (Chickens have to be put to bed, dogs fed) so "go home, NOW."

I want things I can make the day before.
I want to use whatever veggies are ready in the garden.
I only have one BBQ and my smoker, so can't do a lot of grilling.

My thoughts so far include:

Potato salad (I am so making an Indian-inspired potato salad with fennugreek leaves, greek yogurt, grated paneer, green onion, etc.)
coleslaw
a big tossed salad
skewered grilled veggies
skewered grilled shrimp / chicken / beef
chickpea curry
I was thinking ribs but guest of honor doesn't like anything with fat--so lean, lean, lean
cucumber salsa with pita bread chips
Root veggie "fries" (beet, carrot, potato)
stuffed grape leaves (vegetarian and with meat)
Desserts will be chocolate cake / almond cake / lemon tartlets

I am only in the "thinking" phase. Other than asking folks to reserve the time and date, I haven't done anything else.

WOW that looks like an ambitious and great menu. What a challenge it seems with so many restrictions. The menu is lacking color so I'm thinking something colorful like a big fruit salad. Summer fruit will be in peak season in July. Marinated grilled pineapple spears on a stick would be great too.

Last edited:
WOW that looks like an ambitious and great menu. What a challenge it seems with so many restrictions. The menu is lacking color so I'm thinking something colorful like a big fruit salad. Summer fruit will be in peak season in July. Marinated grilled pineapple spears on a stick would be great too.
There will be lots of veggies (hopefully) from the garden. Raspberries will be in season here, so those will be added. I like the idea of pineapple--good with chicken and shrimp. All that is missing from the guest list is someone with diabetes and another with gluten intolerance! Oh, and a vegan, instead of vegetarian. And, someone who keeps a Kosher kitchen.

This is the recipe for the cucumber salsa:

Crisp Cucumber Salsa:
Note: 1/4 cup is only 16 calories! YES!!!
Like and Share to get us (And keep us!) in your Newsfeed!
2 cups finely chopped seeded peeled cucumber
1/2 cup finely chopped seeded tomato
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and chopped
4-1/2 tsp minced fresh cilantro
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
1/4 c reduced-fat sour cream ( I would Use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream)
1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
1-1/2 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp seasoned salt
Tortilla chips

In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, combine the sour cream, lemon juice, lime juice, cumin and seasoned salt. Pour over cucumber mixture and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately with chips.

...All that is missing from the guest list is someone with diabetes and another with gluten intolerance! Oh, and a vegan, instead of vegetarian. And, someone who keeps a Kosher kitchen.

I know a guy. He's a kosher vegan and is a diabetic with gluten and lactose intolerances. Oh, and he is Italian so only eats red, white or green foods when he's not cleansing.

I know a guy. He's a kosher vegan and is a diabetic with gluten and lactose intolerances. Oh, and he is Italian so only eats red, white or green foods when he's not cleansing.
Sounds like the guest we're missing--send him my contact information so I can send him directions...NOT. This is challenging enough.:LOL:

It sounds good to me!

How about asking the guests to bring a dish to pass?

Maybe some skewered mushrooms on the grill or some grilled eggplant for the vegetarians.

Drop one dessert and add an ice cold watermelon!

I would also drop the veggie fries and make it easier on the cook.

The hardest part of the whole menu planning process is the editing, relax and have fun! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Birthday meals are the choice of the birthday person in our family. That is the person to be catered to, not the guests. If the meal is not suitable to someone you invite, don't invite them. Sorry, I just don't understand why you would not consult the birthday boy. No offense intended.

The b'day boy eats everything--especially veggies. The chocolate cake is definitely for him. As are the grilled veggies and salads.

But that sounds fantastic! You can make some of those dishes to freeze beforehand like the chickpea curry for instance if you want can't you? I adore indian inspired food so......
Can I come please?

I"m not sure if you're looking for recipes or ideas. Here are a couple of favorites that can be enjoyed by just about everyone.

I have an olive salad recipe everyone loves that's made with manzanila olives, parsley, garlic, tomato paste, onion and lemon. I serve it with pita wedges.

Also, an appetizer made with bulgar, olive oil, lemon tomato, parsley and scallions.

I am looking for ideas...recipes would be welcome as well, but mostly ideas. If it were just the two of us, I would wing it, but with the food challenges, I am trying to come up with food everyone will eat and the birthday "boy" will enjoy. If our weather is typical, it will be a hot, humid day.

Did I miss seeing Devilled eggs on your menu !?! Always a party favorite and a way for the girls to participate and shine.

You could make pulled pork or pulled beef or smoked turkey in your smoker way ahead, freeze and crockpot warm up on the day.

One of my favorites at any summer get together is Tabbouleh. It can be made ahead although I prefer to stir mint in closer to serving so it doesn't wilt. It can be served chilled or room temp and doesn't have mayo so it can sit out longer.

I hope DH has a happy day.

Yes, CWS, where are the deviled eggs?? You could even post pics on the serving plates of who laid what!

Last edited:
Yeah.....girls jus wanna have fun too..
img_1365086_0_e1afe80036b0dfdd50f95d9b2c1a2b3a.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom