ISO oven-roasted beef brisket recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually pot- roast Brisket of beef to ensure utmost tenderness. What I do is season the joint all over with fresh ground pepper, salt, a shake of curry powder ( trust me) and then lay it in a baking dish on a bed of sliced onions, fresh or dried herbs, and sliced carrots. Add stock to about half way up the sides of your joint and put on lid or cover tightly with foil. Cook at 160-170c for 20mins per pound plus 20mins extra for good measure. You can turn it over half way if you want. When you can put a knife through easily, remove joint, cover and rest in warm place. Strain the liquid and thicken with all-purpose flour to make gravy. This is my way but I'm sure you will have other suggestions. Enjoy!

I usually pot- roast Brisket of beef to ensure utmost tenderness. What I do is season the joint all over with fresh ground pepper, salt, a shake of curry powder ( trust me) and then lay it in a baking dish on a bed of sliced onions, fresh or dried herbs, and sliced carrots. Add stock to about half way up the sides of your joint and put on lid or cover tightly with foil. Cook at 160-170c for 20mins per pound plus 20mins extra for good measure. You can turn it over half way if you want. When you can put a knife through easily, remove joint, cover and rest in warm place. Strain the liquid and thicken with all-purpose flour to make gravy. This is my way but I'm sure you will have other suggestions. Enjoy!
that sounds just sooooo goooood
thx for the info:chef:

I too make a brisket on top of the stove as a pot roast. Brisket needs looong cooking time to become tender or braising. Braising is the quickest and the most likely to tenderize the meat. By the time you roast it to the point that it is tender enough to eat, it has shrunk to almost nothing and is very dry. No moisture left. Go with the braising on top of the stove. :angel:

I too make a brisket on top of the stove as a pot roast. Brisket needs looong cooking time to become tender or braising. Braising is the quickest and the most likely to tenderize the meat. By the time you roast it to the point that it is tender enough to eat, it has shrunk to almost nothing and is very dry. No moisture left. Go with the braising on top of the stove. :angel:

Addie, menumaker's oven method is in a tightly covered pan with liquid so it is also braising. I always do my pot roasts in the oven. Set it and forget it.

Addie, menumaker's oven method is in a tightly covered pan with liquid so it is also braising. I always do my pot roasts in the oven. Set it and forget it.

I too have done an oven pot roast. The question was for an oven ROASTED brisket. Roasted is a bad idea. :angel:

Season (whatever seasoning you like) the brisket and leave in the fridge overnight. In the morning preheat the oven to 220 deg., put the brisket in the baking dish, add what you like. I like mushrooms, maybe baby carrots, small roasting type potato, etc. add liquid of your choice, beef broth, chicken broth, wine, or mixture of the above. It really depends on your taste buds, add what you like. Cover tightly. Put in the oven go to work. Come home, pull out the dish out of the oven, let it seat for 10 minutes, serve. Enjoy.

What are you calling a brisket, full packer, flat or point muscle section?

Brisket us part right behind the front leg of the cow, on the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Brisket us part right behind the front leg of the cow, on the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Good one CharlieD.:ROFLMAO: I was asking what part of the brisket or are they doing the whole brisket.:rolleyes:

Good one CharlieD.:ROFLMAO: I was asking what part of the brisket or are they doing the whole brisket.:rolleyes:

I've never made brisket, so didn't know there are several parts.
brisket_anatomy.jpg

At our grocery they offer the flat as brisket. The point muscle is what is in those pre-brined, corned beef packages. I have to go to Penn Dutch Meats to get a whole brisket, aka whole packer. Which is only available in cryovac packages there. Most are 15# or more.

Is it ever called something other than brisket? I never see anything labeled as brisket in my local supermarkets but I have seen brisket occasionally in WalMart. I've never cooked it.

Is it ever called something other than brisket? I never see anything labeled as brisket in my local supermarkets but I have seen brisket occasionally in WalMart. I've never cooked it.

Around St. Patty Day, it is called Corned Beef. :angel:

Around St. Patty Day, it is called Corned Beef. :angel:

If you take that corned beef, rub it with black pepper and smoke it, then steam it you have pastrami.:yum: But not the prepackaged crap. Has to be homemade.

I do something similar (without the curry powder which sounds interesting and I'll try it). Like "Menumaker" and my mother I cook it in the oven but with slightly less liquid and I add wine or Mackeson (a beer like Guinness but slightly sweeter) to the stock which I thicken like MM)

I too have done an oven pot roast. The question was for an oven ROASTED brisket. Roasted is a bad idea. :angel:
If it's the same unsalted cut that we buy rolled and tied as "brisket", my mother also used to "roast" brisket dry in a covered dish at a fairly low temp and it worked well. Came out very tender. I suppose the sealed lid meant it cooked in it's own steam.

If it's salted it will probably need the cooking liquid.

Last edited:
You need a "proper" butcher who will cut what you want rather than a supermarket that tells you what you can have :mad:.

I gather that brisket is a cut much enjoyed by Jewish families. Are you near a Kosher butcher or a supermarket serving a Jewish community?

Here's a diagram showing the American cut. Perhaps you could take this to the butcher and point to what you want
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...efCutBrisket.svg/511px-BeefCutBrisket.svg.png

Well, no. Corned beef is salt-cured brisket. Brisket is the raw beef.

I am aware of what corned beef is.

But Carol stated she has never seen any meat in her area labeled "Brisket". She was inquiring what to look for as in "shape" to know what a brisket looked like. My answer was "corned beef". Most often corned beef is either the point or flat end of a brisket. Any piece of beef can be pickled or placed in a brine. But why waste a perfectly good piece of beef when you have the brisket to use. Should a person decide not to use a corned beef but wants a fresh cut of brisket, then it makes for a perfect pot roast. Either on top of the stove or in the oven. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom