ISO sturdy tortilla press

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Iv'e spent the last hour looking at reviews for tortilla presses, both cast iron, and aluminum. Every one I looked at stated that when trying to get the tortillas thin enough, the handle broke. I also looked at a pasta roller, and wondered if that would flatten a tortilla, without it ripping apart. I'm thinking that the tortilla disk could be made by hand, and then sent through the roller multiple time to achieve the desired result.

Any thoughts, or knowledge of quality tortilla presses would be appreciated. Oh, and I'm talking corn tortillas made with masa harina.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Used a variety of electric presses over the years...

...And like the mousetrap, I think the world would beat a path to the door of the manufacturer who would make a better one.

The best one I ever used had an Italian name but was discontinued and when mine wore out I could not find the same replacement. The Cucina Pro, seen on Ebay, is probably the same press which the current manufacturer has purchased the rights to. (they look identical)

I am now using a Chef Pro which works OK but not as good as the former one.

We normally make wheat tortillas and have all but given up pressing Masa tortillas because they are all but impossible to press without wrecking. We have to do them the old fashioned way, rolling them out and heating them in a hot cast iron skillet.

I use my Chef Pro so much that I don't expect it to last too long. They take a beating. However the soft wheat tortillas are fabulous for burrito wraps, tacos, and sandwich roll-ups.

Somebody, somewhere, needs to look at this market and produce a superior electric tortilla/flat bread press. They don't come cheap either...anywhere from $70 to $90+ for a good one.

Hope this helps a little.

How about making one or using a couple of cast iron frying pans and some cling film.

I gave it a quick google and found a variety of instructions and videos.

Good luck!

Back to the original, the one that works.

The La Mexicana Tortilladora de Madera Barnizada/Mesquite Tortilla Press

tortilla-press-tortilladora-de-madera-barnizada-mezquite-tortilla-press-5.png

More than two blocks of wood hinged. Designed so that the dough isn't pressed too thin.

Not cheap, but lasts and lasts. From Mexgrocer, Amazon, etc. I see pine versions. No, I don't think so. Mesquite is much harder. It's the devil to fabricate from, but hard and beautiful.

Last edited:
We make flour tortillas at least twice a week so electric works best for us. The suggestions here for masa tortillas is probably best because we have steadfastly found that pressing corn tortillas with an electric press: HEAT + PRESSURE = STICKING and total failure (!)

I have been so frustrated trying to keep corn tortillas from sticking/ruining that I've actually given up and thrown the raw masa ingredients into the woods in our backyard!

Last edited:
Don't buy one of the painted metal ones. The paint started coming off on the first use. My next one will be wood. I tossed it and a had to use a rolling pin.

You gotta try homemade tortilla chips made from scratch along with your favorite salsa recipe. Crazy good when everything is that fresh.

When I see tortillas made on TV with a hand press, I've seen them use parchment or plastic to prevent sticking.

I make both--corn and flour tortillas. I had to get a press to make the corn ones. I use parchment or waxed paper when pressing them. I tried using my krumkake iron, two plates, cast-iron skillet (which was the best option of the three--would've thought the krumkake iron would have been). But by far having the press does mean I can make corn tortillas that don't fall apart when cooking them or trying to "roll" them (and I am quite talented with the rolling pin--I make flatbread that is so thin you can read the writing on my pastry cloth), but I could not roll corn tortillas.

Do either of you make corn tortillas with this or just flour?
Both. Like CWS, I find the flour tortillas easier to work with. Gluten makes all the difference in the world. But corn tortillas have a much better flavor, so it's worth the work. I also agree that they are pretty much impossible to make without a press.

I've often wondered if there might be a happy compromise somewhere. Maybe a tortilla made from a combination of corn and flour. One of these days when I'm feeling experimental I suppose...

...I've often wondered if there might be a happy compromise somewhere. Maybe a tortilla made from a combination of corn and flour. One of these days when I'm feeling experimental I suppose...

I have bought corn/flour tortillas. Not sure how much corn they contained. They were close to flour tortillas.

Back
Top Bottom