Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Recipe Question (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f10/recipe-question-90014.html)

Andy M. 06-06-2014 02:31 PM

Recipe Question

I copied this recipe: Eclair Cake | Chef in Training the other day. As I was reading it over, I noticed the recipe called for "2 (14.4) oz packages graham crackers". This seems like a lot of crackers to me.

A box of GC weighs 14.4 ounces and has three wax paper packages on GC in it. So I'm wondering if the originator meant 2 of the wax paper packages from a 14.4 ounce box. I asked the question but have not received an answer yet.

Your thoughts?

P.S. I still hate Cool Whip and would make this recipe with whipped cream.

FrankZ 06-06-2014 02:38 PM

I can't see how they would be using two boxes of them and make them fit in a 9x13 with other things, especially since they aren't pulverizing them first.

Whiskadoodle 06-06-2014 03:14 PM

I google images to find one that looks like yours Andy. The first two I saw each say one box graham crackers.

Mr Food says :
One box of graham crackers contains 3 individually wrapped packages of crackers. Use one package for each layer of this decadent dessert.
Read more at Chocolate Eclair Cake | mrfood.com

When I use instant pudding, I add a tsp of vanilla and w/ chocolate pudding an extra spoon of cocoa powder and mix in. I too am not sure what food group Cool Whip belongs in, so I use real whipped cream.

I copied this because it is an easy no bake dessert for hot days.

salt and pepper 06-06-2014 03:36 PM

Just two pakages Andy not two boxes! Anyway just use enough to do the layers.

Steve Kroll 06-06-2014 03:49 PM

I would be more inclined to follow the recipe in Whiskadoodle's link. The chef-in-training author admits she is "teaching myself how to cook one recipe at a time," which leads me to think she might just be very inexperienced.

Andy M. 06-06-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salt and pepper (Post 1367614)
Just two pakages Andy not two boxes! Anyway just use enough to do the layers.

Thanks all. I guess I was right. I think I'll make this with chocolate pudding as that's how I remember it from childhood.

Andy M. 06-06-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kroll (Post 1367616)
...which leads me to think she might just be very inexperienced.

At the very least inexperienced at writing recipes.

CarolPa 06-07-2014 08:06 AM

I copied this recipe into my recipe file. It looks like a good one to take to a summer party.

CarolPa 06-07-2014 02:40 PM

Before I read this thread I never heard of Chocolate Eclair Cake. Then I turned on the TV this afternoon and they were making it on Cooks Country/Test Kitchen. Here is their recipe they made from scratch.

A Better Chocolate Eclair Cake Recipe - Food.com

Andy M. 06-07-2014 02:48 PM

I just finished watching that Cook's Country episode. Then I went to the Cook's Country website and copied the recipe. The recipe in the link you posted is different in one important fact. The CC recipe calls for 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. The Food.com recipe calls for two.