What drinks should I get for my bar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Picasso

Assistant Cook
Hey guys, I just finish construction on my mini bar at home. I however am not a drinker so I need some advice on what quality drinks to get. Also what are some nice drinks for my office?

Cheers,
Kevin.

Welcome to DC, Kevin.

If you built a mini bar and you're not a drinker, I'd recommend stocking the bar with the stuff your guests are likely to drink.

Welcome to DC. Rally up to the bar boys! (Hic!) I assume this bar is for adults only. Otherwise I would suggest Kool Aid! :angel:

Welcome to DC! Vodka, rum, scotch, whiskey, gin, tequila, triple sec, sweet and dry vermouth for basic liquor. Coke, lemon lime soda, orange juice, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, seltzer, tonic, lime juice and simple syrup for mixers. Lemon and lime slices, maraschino cherries, olives for garnish. Beer and ice. Red and white wine. A variety of glasses.

This will make everything from Cosmos to margaritas, along with many basic cocktails. Lots of ice, a cocktail shaker and a strainer.

Last edited:
If you don't drink but realize friends do so you built a bar for them to enjoy, ask those guy what they want you to stock. Otherwise, just have some wine, maybe some beer, and sodas available to start and then keep track of what people are ordering. It never has occurred to me to stock our bar with what others like. We usually announce "Here's what we have, what would you like?"

Hey guys, I just finish construction on my mini bar at home. I however am not a drinker so I need some advice on what quality drinks to get. Also what are some nice drinks for my office?

Cheers,
Kevin.
If I was invited I'd like Bombay Sapphire gin and any tonic water that doesn't have artificial sweeteners in it (If I'm drinking gin and quinine I don't think the sugar in the tonic is going to make matters much worse :LOL:)

Not sure if sherry is very popular in America but (based on my taste again) a good chilled fino (very dry sherry) is good and you could have a "sweet" or cream sherry (for the grannies and aunties). Spanish from Xerez, of course, some of the "sherry-type" wines are very vile! The sweet sherries keep better than the finos but shouldn't be allowed to become museum pieces.

Scotch whisky (blended or single malt), Irish whiskey, Bourbon and or rye?

Cognac (for drinking neat) or ordinary brandy to have with mixers

Tequila seems to be popular with the younger generation as do some weird bottled mixtures involving vodka.

Some people just like beer so you could have a small selection of interesting beers - perhaps micro-brewery types.

And don't forget the non-alcoholic choices for the designated drivers and the "mixers" for the spirit drinkers. Not just the excessively sweet fizzy stuff like coke and pepsi - fruit juices, fizzy and still mineral waters, etc. and mixers such as ginger ale, bitter lemon, plain soda water/club soda

Hope that helps and when's the Party?

As for the Office drinks - nothing alcoholic. Coffee, tea, possibly hot chocolate. Soft drinks, water.

Last edited:
If you don't drink but realize friends do so you built a bar for them to enjoy, ask those guy what they want you to stock. Otherwise, just have some wine, maybe some beer, and sodas available to start and then keep track of what people are ordering. It never has occurred to me to stock our bar with what others like. We usually announce "Here's what we have, what would you like?"
When expense is a consideration you could just offer red and white wine and soft drinks.

Thank you all for reply, really appreciate it! However this bar isn't really for friends, more for business guests. So what brand vodka, rum, scotch, whiskey, gin, tequila do you guys suggest?

Thank you all for reply, really appreciate it! However this bar isn't really for friends, more for business guests. So what brand vodka, rum, scotch, whiskey, gin, tequila do you guys suggest?

I would stick to the middle of the road.

If I was a client and saw only the best booze, I would know full well that I was paying for it and after a couple of drinks I would go do business elsewhere.

IMO socializing is best kept separate from business. I would conduct my business and then offer to take the client out for a drink. It has been my experience that the best business people decline the offer.

One final thought and that is liability to you and your business if a client has a couple of friendly pops and then has a problem driving home.

Good luck!

I would do middle of the road too. There's a lot of frou-frou stuff out there. Schmirnoff vodka, Tanqueray or Bombay gin, Bacardi rum (Anjeo for dark), Johnny Walker Red or Cutty Sark scotch, Canadian Club whiskey, Jose Cuervo tequila. Jack Daniels bourbon if you're so inclined. I don't care for bourbon, but many do.

All are popular brands, and quite good. They're readily available anywhere. As you learn more about your customers' tastes, you can add more. (I was a bartender for many years.)

Last edited:
A good port would work and if you entertain southern clients a good bourbon.

Could I add to MC's super and knowledgeable list ( sounds a bit too knowledgeable to me :LOL:) an Extra dry Martini to go with the well chosen Bombay Sapphire gin so as to make a perfect 'Martini' oh, and don't forget the olives. ;)
For the office; a selection of green, mint,and lemon teas perhaps

How often do you entertain and what do your friends drink? You don't need to go to the expense of a full bar if you it would be mostly beer and wine. Vodka, gin and mixers may be all you may need and you may be able to afford a higher end brand if you aren't spreading your budget too thin.

Go to a liquor store and tell the proprietor what you are doing. They can help you. My friend built a bar and got the store to help him stock it.
They were very helpful and even gave him free bottles as he spent a considerable amount to start up with.
He is still using the same store and is treated quite well.

If I was a client and saw only the best booze, I would know full well that I was paying for it and after a couple of drinks I would go do business elsewhere.
IMO socializing is best kept separate from business. I would conduct my business and then offer to take the client out for a drink. It has been my experience that the best business people decline the offer.
One final thought and that is liability to you and your business if a client has a couple of friendly pops and then has a problem driving home.
Good luck!

We went out of our way to please our customers. Buying the best and allowing them the freedom to decide when and where to drink was considered polite.
Especially now that we live in a global society.
Not all customers have the same values as us stuck up Americans have. :LOL:

Could I add to MC's super and knowledgeable list ( sounds a bit too knowledgeable to me :LOL:) an Extra dry Martini to go with the well chosen Bombay Sapphire gin so as to make a perfect 'Martini' oh, and don't forget the olives. ;)
For the office; a selection of green, mint,and lemon teas perhaps
Drat, completely forgot about the extra dry vermouth for the martinis.

Believe it or not, I don't drink much. Unlike many people who get "merry" under the influence I become very straight-laced and solemn. Not bad tempered, just spinster-ish and disapproving so one G&T or two smallish glasses of wine are my limit.

I am the black sheep of mother's family who are all kind and cheerful drinkers:LOL:

Good luck!
I have to say that I agree with you on this, Aunt Bea. I don't know if it's a British thing but most places I've worked (except for bars, obviously:):)) have had "no alcohol" rules. Apart from anything else I'd be worried about the client turning round and saying he was made to sign a contract under the influence after being plied with liquor!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom