Creamed Corn process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GA Home Cook

Sous Chef
I am about a month or less away from having my Silver Queen corn ready to harvest. We love creamed corn but the process of shucking and husking is awful. I have an idea I want to run by you guys. We make boiled corn by putting the unshucked ears of corn in the mircowave for about 3-4 minutes per ear. It is so each to cut off the large end and push out silkless corn. I wonder if I could experiment to see how little time it would take to reove the shucks and silks this way then cut the kernel off to make cream corn.

Thoughts?

Hal

I am about a month or less away from having my Silver Queen corn ready to harvest. We love creamed corn but the process of shucking and husking is awful. I have an idea I want to run by you guys. We make boiled corn by putting the unshucked ears of corn in the mircowave for about 3-4 minutes per ear. It is so each to cut off the large end and push out silkless corn. I wonder if I could experiment to see how little time it would take to reove the shucks and silks this way then cut the kernel off to make cream corn.

Thoughts?

Hal

I think it would probably work and is definitely worth a try. It wouldn't cost you a lot to experiment with a small batch. Even if it didn't come out as good as your usual method, it would certainly be edible.

What is your recipe for making the creamed corn? It seems to me that pre-cooking the corn could result in overcooked corn once the entire dish is done. You may need to adjust the cooking time for the creamed corn. It's worth a try, though :)

Typically - I cut the kernal and heat it up before I put it in the freezer bags. Thought that the heating stage could come first and save lots of work.
Then I just put it in a non stick skillet and saute until it warms and thickens.

Back
Top Bottom