Kitchen knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desmond

Washing Up
Hi
Sorry but I posted this in Cookware and Accessories but this forum is what I need.
I usually watch the Saturday kitchen with James Martin. Sometimes he will chop mint or other spice leaves using a curved knife with 2 handles on each side. Using a rocking motion to finely chop the leaves up. Can anyone tell me what this is called please.
TIA
Desmond.

Thanks this is not an easy thing to find.

It's also not an easy thing to use ;) A lot of the herb sticks to the insides of the blades, causing a lot of waste and making it a pain to clean, which you don't see on TV. You'll get better results by practicing knife skills with a chef's knife or Santoku knife.

I like my ULU Knife

5BU.gif

Andy, that first video was pretty funny! First, she couldn't find her mezzaluna that she had had for many years, so had to go buy one in order to make the video - guess it's not used all that much ;) Second, she didn't even chiffonade the basil - she chopped it. And you can't chiffonade parsley. So, yeah, door #2 for me :)

If I had every specialized kitchen implement available, I'd have to have a 25,000 square foot warehouse to store them all in. :rolleyes:

I use my 10" chef for just about everything except boning chicken, and slicing bread. I can't remember the last time I went 2 days without using it. I would have no imaginable use for a mezzaluna, nor for 90% of the weird things that have been invented for specialized uses. I'm a big fan of multi-use tools.

Hi Guys thanks for that. If it does get stuck inside the blades a pastry brush could extract the rest. I was amused by the large gap between the blades. Why such a large gap. As RP Cookin states you could fill a kitchen up with this stuff especially as I have an eye on the blow torch. I guess a very good knife and watch the fingers. Someone on this site mentioned Wüsthof and I can get a nice set of 3 from Amazon for £43.99

Just a thought. Would you use a glass chopping board? Glass is easy to clean were as the wood can pick up bacteria in the scratches. Maybe a glass one would blunt the knife.

Just a thought. Would you use a glass chopping board? Glass is easy to clean were as the wood can pick up bacteria in the scratches. Maybe a glass one would blunt the knife.

Funny you should ask ;) We just had a discussion about that, and added to a discussion from a couple of years ago. In short - never use glass, it's terrible for your knives. And wood is not a problem.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f88/cutting-board-wood-acrylic-or-something-else-82564.html

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f147/latest-news-dont-wash-chickens-90085.html (This discussion turned in to one about cutting boards)

Yes that makes sense and if you go to a butchers shop that board gets a hell of a lot of use.

The old timers that I grew up with always had a very large one and a big wooden bowl to use it in. And it was a single blade. They were passed down from one generation to the next. The bowl was very heavy cut out from one piece of a log. The blade was very sharp and well worn. It fit the bowl perfectly. But it is a single purpose use instrument. I remember one old grandmother telling me it was a wedding present from her mother before WWII. She brought it with her when she immigrated to this country. :angel:

I'd never use glass for a cutting board. We have one that's as much decor as anything. It's on the counter next to the stove and we use it to put hot pans on when they come off the stove or out of the oven (we have solid surface countertops - Formica's version of Corian).

If I had every specialized kitchen implement available, I'd have to have a 25,000 square foot warehouse to store them all in. :rolleyes:

I use my 10" chef for just about everything except boning chicken, and slicing bread. I can't remember the last time I went 2 days without using it. I would have no imaginable use for a mezzaluna, nor for 90% of the weird things that have been invented for specialized uses. I'm a big fan of multi-use tools.

If you had them, you would be the Norm Abram of cooking gadgets. That man has every wood working tool known to mankind!:ermm:

Right! I always felt like his show was an infomercial for woodworking tools.

I'm a golfer and an amateur photographer, and both hobbies can lead to GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. It's a personal battle which I must take one day at a time, resisting the endless temptations to buy that one more piece of equipment that will shave a stroke off my handicap, or that $1500 lens which will suddenly make me the Ansel Adams of the digital age.

I see kitchen gadgets in the same vein. The ads tell me that if I buy their whatsit, it will make me the best home cook ever. I would be remiss if I try to live without it, and my kitchen isn't complete until I have it. If I buy it, I don't really have to know how to cook, just use this according to the instructions and I can skip that step about learning what cooking really is. :rolleyes:

In all three pursuits, understanding the fundamentals is the key to unlocking some degree of success. If you create a good foundation, you can do a workmanlike job at any of them with basic equipment, but if one isn't careful, that can be an expensive lesson to learn.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom