How to use this cube of cheddar cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
hi i've got a cube of this solid hard cheddar cheese and some raw spaghetti. I am new to cooking. I've tried cooking the spaghetti and then put the untreated cheese on top on the cooked spaghetti and add some salt to that, but it does'nt really taste good. Is there any simple method of making a better plate of spaghetti? I don't want to waste this expensive cheddar cheese and the cheese will expire very soon.

0cefc3eccd89.jpg

I'd be slicing the cheese and have some hard salami and crackers. If you want to use it with spaghetti, add some butter to the hot noodles along with some garlic then grate some of the cheddar on top and toss it all together.

Turn it into mac and cheese. Start cooking the spaghetti, melt some butter, add milk to it, warm gently, then add the cheese in slices or shredded to melt. Stir in the spaghetti when it's done.

First of all, cheese doesn't really expire. If a little mold grows on the outside, just cut it off and use the rest. I use cheddar that way that's grown a bit of mold all the time (did it just a couple of days ago for a salami and cheese and jalapeno sandwich). Cut away the mold and what's inside is just fine. Cheese was invented to be a way of preserving milk or cream.

I'd use it for mac and cheese, or make a cheese sauce for broccoli or cauliflower, to put on potatoes, or any other cheesy recipe. Just heat up a cup of milk or cream and melt grated cheese in it until it's a consistency that you like - a little salt and pepper and it works on a lot of things.

Last edited:
If you are going for the simple stuff, next time (if you didn't grate the cheese), grate it. Then after you've drained the spaghetti/pasta, stir in some butter, salt and pepper, maybe some garlic and add the grated cheese. Dry spaghetti with "untreated" cheese on top doesn't sound to tasty to me. There 100s, probably 1,000s of ways to make spaghetti/pasta/noodles full of flavor.

I agree with Jabbur, that's eatin' cheese. Good salami, or ham. Crackers, or toast points.

I use similar cheddars for panini style sandwiches. Either with or without ham. My panini press is a cast iron griddle with a skillet on top.

Is that Hong Kong dollars? How much per pound is that cheese?

I was wondering the same thing as bigjim. My first thought was, that is some expensive cheese! :)

I'd agree with jabbur and bigjim - I'd slice up that beauty and put it on a tray with crackers, salami, fruit, etc., let the cheese be the star and invite some friends over. :)

Last edited:
I don't think that price is in US currency. I would also be suspect of the quality if those are Chinese characters on the packaging.

If it's good English farmhouse cheddar don't mess it about:-

-Welsh rarebit (ignore the reference to Lancashire cheese in the following recipe and use the Cheddar. How to cook perfect welsh rarebit | Life and style | The Guardian

-Cheese and pickle sandwiches using very good home-made or artisan bead

-A chunk of Cheddar with an apple for dessert

-Apple pie with cheese - either baked in the pie or eaten with it.

-Cheese and onion pie
BBC - Food - Recipes : My mother?s cheese and onion pie (Again use cheddar in place of the Lancashire cheese).

Last edited:
Arrggghhhh!

hi i've got a cube of this solid hard cheddar cheese and some raw spaghetti. I am new to cooking. I've tried cooking the spaghetti and then put the untreated cheese on top on the cooked spaghetti and add some salt to that, but it does'nt really taste good. Is there any simple method of making a better plate of spaghetti? I don't want to waste this expensive cheddar cheese and the cheese will expire very soon.

0cefc3eccd89.jpg
I couldn't see the photo before. It isn't English Cheddar. It purports to be New Zealand (NZ) Cheddar but I don't understand why it has Chinese (?) characters on the packaging.

It may be very nice cheese but it won't be spectacular.

Where are you, Kenny?

You're right spaghetti with grated cheese on it isn't very inspiring.

Last edited:
If you want to use that cheese in pasta, I recomend the following. But first, a word about cheese in sauces.

Cheese is made up of fat, protein, milk solids, and acids. These parts are homogeneous in the cool cheese. Once you start to warm them, they will begin to separate into fat and protein. In a sauce, this means that you will get clumps of cheese, and oil. This separation is called breaking the sauce.

However, velvety smooth cheese sauces are made all the time. You just have to understand that boiling temperatures are not good for your sauce.

Basic cheese sauce. Grate inough cheese to make 2 cups of shredded cheese. Heat 2 cups milk, or cream, until it just starts to bubble. Remove from the heat. Slowly stir in the grated cheese until it melts and is silky smooth. Add a touch of salt, and prepared yellow mustard if desired. Serve over veggies, shaved beef, or whatever you want your cheese sauce on. Or, use it to make mac & cheese.

2nd sauce. Heat 3 tbs. of butter in a pan over medium heat. add a dash or 2 of salt, and 3 tbs. of flour to the pan. Stir and cook until it looks blonde. Slowly pour milk into the pan, while whisking, until a smooth sauce is formed. Remove from heat and add grated cheese, stirring until smooth. Use for mac and cheese, or wherever you want cheese sauce. Oh, add celery and onions and use it to make a really good creamed cheese soup. You might even add chipped beef.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't understand what is so confusing about the Chinese (?) characters.
Maybe the OP is in China and the cheese had to be labeled so people knew what it was. Without knowing where "Kenny" is from, who knows?

If Kenny frequents an Ethnic store, non-English labels abound.

That hunk of cheese was a little over $7 USD, which doesn't seem an outrageous price to pay.

I'd eat the majority of it out-of-hand or with an apple. I'd dice some up and toss it into an omlette / fritatta as well.

I agree with Andy. The package even says it was packed by "Quality Farm Group" of Hong Kong. :)

Also, it indicates that the weight is 159.6 grams or 5.6 ounces. The price, at 45.20 in Hong Kong dollars, would be the equivalent of $5.83 USD.

That puts this cheese at around $16.66 a pound. I would say that's pretty pricey. :ohmy:

Oh, and as for what to make with it, Mac & Cheese would be my vote, although it would be a very expensive meal. I guess I would probably just enjoy it as a snack - one tiny piece at a time.

Last edited:
If Kenny frequents an Ethnic store, non-English labels abound.

That hunk of cheese was a little over $7 USD, which doesn't seem an outrageous price to pay.

I'd eat the majority of it out-of-hand or with an apple. I'd dice some up and toss it into an omlette / fritatta as well.
We now know Kenny is in Hong Kong but that wasn't clear in his first post in this thread which is why I thought the price was in dollars and that it was odd for goods bought in the USA to have Chinese labelling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom