The History of 'APRONS'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsLMB

Executive Chef
The History of 'APRONS'

I don't think most of our kids know what an apron is.

The principle use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few.

It was also because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons used less material.

But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, Grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

Share this with those who would know (and love) the story about Grandma's aprons.

REMEMBER:

Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron.

I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron - but love.

I always wear my "pinny" when I'm cooking. We had to make our own in our first term of Home Economics/Domestic Science at school and when we moved on to actually cooking, etc., we had to sit out and do written theory if we forgot our apron.

My daughter once told me that when she saw me put on my apron, she knew something good was going to happen for supper. :angel:

My Grandmother wore a full apron like the one in your story.

I remember my Mother wearing a half apron, over her good clothes, on Sunday when she scrambled to get a traditional Sunday dinner on the table.

Maybe, in years to come, they will write a story about my old stained baggy T shirts! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks MrsLMB

Mrs LMB, that made me smile...took me right back to my grandma's kitchen way back in the day. :) Thank you.

I love aprons and, like PrincessFiona, I have many. Most of mine are "total coverage" aprons, much like the one my grandmother used. She always had several hanging in the broom closet off the kitchen.

Funny, too, I collect vintage sewing patterns and have quite a collection of "olde tyme" apron patterns, of which I've made several for myself and as gifts for friends who are serious cooks.

Love the story and love my aprons.

I love aprons too, probably just for the nostalgia, because I rarely wear one. I like making old fashioned ones for friends and family. Like MC I had to make one in Home Economics class. Everyone had to make the same one it was a style similar to the one Mrs. Livingston (in The Courtship ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1404274068.040742.jpgof Eddie's Father tv program) wore. We were not allowed to use scissors, it was made from a series of squares that we tore from a couple of yards or so of fabric. I love that Apron. I have to dig it out, it's about 45 years old. Oh my!

Last edited:
Do they have ruffles or lace on them? Do they have a pocket for the hanky to wipe little noses? :angel:

No ruffles or lace. One has a Patriots logo and the other is my 'backup' with some print or other. As far as little (or big) noses, that's what sleeves are for.

I know I should wear them or something more often as SO is always complaining about having to get all the food stains out of my shirts. It gives her something to do.

No ruffles or lace. One has a Patriots logo and the other is my 'backup' with some print or other. As far as little (or big) noses, that's what sleeves are for.

I know I should wear them or something more often as SO is always complaining about having to get all the food stains out of my shirts. It gives her something to do.

Gee, you are so thoughtful. What a guy! :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know. I'm special!

Andy it is always a pleasure chatting with you. You have a great sense of humor, recognize the humor in others very quickly and never take offense. Thanks for being a friend to all of us. It is a great joy to have you here. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom