Wanted to share my good find

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StormyNight

Assistant Cook
:) Wanted to share my good find last night!

I was at a second hand store and found a full size, circa 1980-90 Donvier ice cream maker for $3!

It was in good condition and clean so I purchased it...then came home and promptly sanitized it!

I had one many years ago, but it was the mini one as that was all I could afford at the time. I'm wondering if the person doing the pricing didn't know what it was :LOL:

Just wanted to share my good find!

:) Wanted to share my good find last night!

I was at a second hand store and found a full size, circa 1980-90 Donvier ice cream maker for $3!

It was in good condition and clean so I purchased it...then came home and promptly sanitized it!

I had one many years ago, but it was the mini one as that was all I could afford at the time. I'm wondering if the person doing the pricing didn't know what it was :LOL:

Just wanted to share my good find!
I love serendipitous finds like this. I found a set of 3 Le Creuset enamelled cast iron saucepans in nesting sizes for £2 the set (again, about $3) in a charity shop. The smallest was cracked (how??) so I re-donated it but the two were still a good deal for £2. They were even the same colour (volcanic) as my existing set of Le C pans which I'd paid about £35 for in a sale about 40 years ago.

I love serendipitous finds like this. I found a set of 3 Le Creuset enamelled cast iron saucepans in nesting sizes for £2 the set (again, about $3) in a charity shop. The smallest was cracked (how??) so I re-donated it but the two were still a good deal for £2. They were even the same colour (volcanic) as my existing set of Le C pans which I'd paid about £35 for in a sale about 40 years ago.

That was a wonderful find!!

So we're all invited for Ice Cream? :yum:

What's the first batch gonna be?

I like plain vanilla but strawberry comes in second.

Great find and you can't go wrong for $3.00.

Good choice. :clap:

Now how bout that invite for each and every one of us? :whistling

I've got an "old" ice cream freezer around here somewhere. Guess I should think about digging it out and making some fresh ice cream for myself. :rolleyes:

If I do then your all invited for the big ice cream party. ;)

But there are some exceptions. :devilish:

Pac has to bring some bacon to the party. :huh: (Hey, Bacon flavored ice cream could be really good.)

And the Chief has to bring some fish chili because I haven't had a chance to make it yet and I really want to try it.

I'm sure I can figure out many other requirements but it would drift the thread way to much as if I haven't already.

Enjoy your ice cream maker Stormy. You got a great deal and there isn't anything much better then fresh ice cream.

Last edited:
:) Thank you! I looked it up on Amazon and the same model goes for $68...still outside my price range! I didn't even think they made it any more!

Good choice. :clap:

Now how bout that invite for each and every one of us? :whistling

I've got an "old" ice cream freezer around here somewhere. Guess I should think about digging it out and making some fresh ice cream for myself. :rolleyes:

(Hey, Bacon flavored ice cream could be really good.)

And here's a recipe (scroll down past the bit about candying bacon)

Candied Bacon Ice Cream Recipe | David Lebovitz

Thank you Mad Cook. :flowers:

That shows that I'm not the only crazy person in the world. ;)

If Pac brings the bacon that I've been waiting for at the Post Office to make the ice cream I'll pay for your ticket to taste it at the party. :D

Stormy,
$68.00 would be above my price range for an ice cream machine too. You got a great deal and I hope you have a wonderful time with it.

Water Melons will be ripe here soon. I can see that as a tasty treat also. Go for the gusto and remember that the sky and imagination are the limit. :yum:

Please remember to invite us to the "Ice Cream Party." :ROFLMAO:

Is this a hand cranked model? I Googled it and saw the handle sticking out the top.

I have always been interested in the type of ice cream maker seen on the professional TV shows.
The one that has its own freezing capability. I bet that kind is very expensive.

My old 1960's vintage ice cream freezer has a hand crank.

That was 1/2 the fun of making ice cream. :rolleyes:

It also has it own freezing capability. It's called ice & rock salt. :whistling

Not I've got to go find that thing. This thread has me wanting ice cream.

Water melons should be hitting the stands soon. Might have to give them a try. :yum:

If Pac brings the bacon that I've been waiting for at the Post Office to make the ice cream I'll pay for your ticket to taste it at the party. :D

Stormy,
$68.00 would be above my price range for an ice cream machine too. You got a great deal and I hope you have a wonderful time with it.

Water Melons will be ripe here soon. I can see that as a tasty treat also. Go for the gusto and remember that the sky and imagination are the limit. :yum:

We need a "boil." I will bring the lobsters. Enough for everyone. :angel:

Stormy,

Very kind, Zagut, but I feel bacon ice cream is something I could probably do with out for the time being :)

Yes the Donvier has an inner metal liner that you freeze, then add your ice cream base to and then turn the crank slowly. The base freezes to the sides and bottom of the maker which are effectively scraped off with the plastic paddles. From what I remember it made a very soft ice cream but...better than nothing!

Is this a hand cranked model? I Googled it and saw the handle sticking out the top.

I have always been interested in the type of ice cream maker seen on the professional TV shows.
The one that has its own freezing capability. I bet that kind is very expensive.

Sorta. You mix up your base and then pour it into the pre-frozen inner tub. Then you crank once. Wait, then crank again one rotation and wait, etc. The initial ice cream is soft, but it will freeze up and be delicious. I bought mine many years ago and it still works great.

The old kind where you crank and crank brings back great memories. I use to crank and my sister would poke away ice and salt from the drain. Peach ice cream reminded me of summer time. It was the only time we had it.

~Kathleen

Stormy,

Thank you for bringing up making ice cream.

You've caused me to get off my butt and dig up a relic.

I found the old freezer and the memories it holds.

Now it's time for some of that bacon ice cream. :)

Attachments

• Copy (2).jpg
    Copy (2).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 204
Yes the Donvier has an inner metal liner that you freeze, then add your ice cream base to and then turn the crank slowly. The base freezes to the sides and bottom of the maker which are effectively scraped off with the plastic paddles. From what I remember it made a very soft ice cream but...better than nothing!

Sounds better than getting all sweaty making ice cream.
Peach is very popular here in the south. In fact, every single time i have witnessed ice cream being made was peach. Very tasty.
But they don't use method I see chefs use. They use no heat (stove) to make the base. All the ingredients put in the Ice cream machine, turned on until the sound changes.
They also serve it on the spot. No freezing first! I would want to make it, freeze it, then serve it.

Sorta. You mix up your base and then pour it into the pre-frozen inner tub. Then you crank once. Wait, then crank again one rotation and wait, etc. The initial ice cream is soft, but it will freeze up and be delicious. I bought mine many years ago and it still works great.

The old kind where you crank and crank brings back great memories. I use to crank and my sister would poke away ice and salt from the drain. Peach ice cream reminded me of summer time. It was the only time we had it.

~Kathleen

Thanks. I see its not as hard as it seemed. I have never owned an ice cream maker.
But if I ever buy one, it will be completely automatic.
You see, I will not miss what many of you remember as far as making ice cream. When I make it, it will be my first time.

I also will freeze the resulting soft serve.

Sounds better than getting all sweaty making ice cream.
Peach is very popular here in the south. In fact, every single time i have witnessed ice cream being made was peach. Very tasty.
But they don't use method I see chefs use. They use no heat (stove) to make the base. All the ingredients put in the Ice cream machine, turned on until the sound changes.
They also serve it on the spot. No freezing first! I would want to make it, freeze it, then serve it.

Thanks. I see its not as hard as it seemed. I have never owned an ice cream maker.
But if I ever buy one, it will be completely automatic.
You see, I will not miss what many of you remember as far as making ice cream. When I make it, it will be my first time.

I also will freeze the resulting soft serve.
I have one (well, umm, 2, actually) of the inexpensive, electric kind where you freeze the container, put the mix in it and the paddle works by electricity. The ice cream is very soft but that's good because you can fold in nuts or dried fruit soaked in rum or brandy or you can swirl in raspberry coulis or chocolate and make ripple ice cream and then finish in the freezer. No problems with this as I always make it a day or two in advance of the party, anyway. One job less and people think you are terribly clever - or they did until any old chef makes it on television.

Have you tried Caleonian ice cream? It's made with toasted pinhead oatmeal which sounds a bit unpromising but is very good. Delia Smith is credited with finding the recipe at a restaurant in Glasgow and putting it in her "Summer Collection" in 2003. In fact, I've been making it since the early 1980s from a recipe in Jane Grigson's "Good Things". Unlike Delia, JG spices the Caledonian ice cream with a shot of scotch whisky

Last edited:
Try roasting or grilling the peaches first. BTW, I do cook a custard for my ice cream. Lots of people just dump the eggs in, but I find it is much better cooked.

Back
Top Bottom