Food slicer: does anyone have one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hi, I am contemplating getting a food/meat slicer. I buy a lot of bulk lunch meats and am tired of the ugly slices I get when I do it by hand. I would also slice partially frozen raw meat on it, on occassion.

Does anyone out there have a food slicer? How do you like it? Approx. how much did you pay? What are the pros and cons to YOUR slicer?

I saw online called the Krups Universal Compact Meat Cheese Slicer. If I get one, I'm leaning towards that one because it's relatively cheap and can fold up (I need something very compact). It doesn't look like it's very high quality though, which is my concern. I don't need the Ferrari of slicers, just the Honda/Toyota, or even Kia of slicers. :)

Anyone out there have the Krups model? How do you like it?

Thanks a bunch!

I do not own one and have never used one so I don't have a lot of advice to give on the subject. One thing I did hear a while ago stuck in my head though. something to watch out for is how much heat the electric models give off. Some get very hot which can affect your meats and cheeses. I have heard the non electric (hand powered) are better because there is no heat build up. Like I said though, I have never used one so I don't really know if this would be a real issue. I know the deli counter at my supermarket uses an electric one and I have never had a problem, but maybe theirs are more expensive and guard against the heat better.

Mine is a Deni. I love it. Can't remember what I paid for it tho. I also do a lot of bulk cheese. You can put paper inbetween the slices and vacuum in small packages and then you can use it for sandwiches after freezing.

I have a Krups and I love it. Mine is not a fold up model. If there was one thing that I don't like it would be that there is a plastic peice that you have to unscrew to remove the blade- I wish it were metal as I can see it becoming a problem with a lot of use.

Thanks for your input. GB - My family used to own a meat market, and yes, the commercial version is much more powerul and I never had to worry about heat. I miss having a meat market. :-( I no longer can get custom cut meats as easily.

Husband got one for Christmas. A Russell Hobbs with scale. I got it at SAM's club auction for about $89. Locally the Krups was always sold out. Have only heard good things about the Krups from people who have them.

We have only practiced a couple times on ours so far. Bought it for garnish, primarily. Had hoped to maybe slice brisket on it, but don't thing we will be able to.

I have a Chef's Choice and I would not recommend it. The slicing blade is attached with a plastic screw which has failed once and they replaced the blade but I had to pay to ship the bad one to them. Last time I used it I noticed is piece of plastic from the same place so I suspect it will not be usable for long. It wasn't cheap to purchase and it's tedious to clean! It does fold up, however, and hangs up in the pantry so it's easy to store - that's about the best feature :cry:

If I buy another I think a Krups would be my choice.

Linda, thanks for the feedback. Chefs Choice was one on my list! It's been taken off now. Thanks!

I have a Cookworks slicer. I use it occasionaly. It is excellent for thinly slicing cold roast beef, edam or gouda, and making melba toast. It is not so good on salami though. Also, the plastic bends when you put enough pressure on it to get the thimg to slice difficult objects.

But you will not get professional quality from a domestic machine.

ti.gif
ee.gif

I have a vintage food slicer with a wood food tray and a lever slicing blade!

Nope, I don't use it, but it sure looks sharp in the kitchen. :)

I have a Berkel 9" commercial slicer, with a 1/4 HP motor. It does very well slicing up hams, turkey, pastrami, vegetables, and just about anything that needs to be thinly sliced. By thinly sliced, I mean paper thin. Before that, I had a Rival 7 1/2" slicer that burned out. I don't slice cheese on the Berkel, and won't do it on any of the "consumer" slicer models either. Cheese is very hard on a motor, especially the motor on a consumer product.

MrCoffee

Ooops I forgot, I have another manual food slicer. It is a large commercial stainless steel cheese slicer.

It is in storage, and I will probably give it to the Boys and Girls club or to the Church.

choclatechef said:
Ooops I forgot, I have another manual food slicer. It is a large commercial stainless steel cheese slicer.

It is in storage, and I will probably give it to the Boys and Girls club or to the Church.

Where could I get a cheese slicer like you described? It would be nice for slicing up one of those 5 pound blocks of cheddar I get at Sam's Club. Are they as expensive as a meat slicer like I have? Are there any on the used market? It definitely sounds like something I could use.

MrCoffee

MrCoffee said:
Where could I get a cheese slicer like you described? It would be nice for slicing up one of those 5 pound blocks of cheddar I get at Sam's Club. Are they as expensive as a meat slicer like I have? Are there any on the used market? It definitely sounds like something I could use.

MrCoffee

I found my cheese slicer in a thrift shop for less than $10. It is the exact same one I found in the Central Restaurant Supply catalog for $192.

www.centralrestaurant.com

I have gotten a catalog or two from these folks in the past, but I don't have a new catalog. Thanks!

They did seem to have cheaper prices than some of the other catalogs, on certain items.

choclatechef said:
I found my cheese slicer in a thrift shop for less than $10. It is the exact same one I found in the Central Restaurant Supply catalog for $192.

www.centralrestaurant.com

That's what I need to get. Of course, you got lucky choclatechef. I go to a thrift shop, and the most I can find for that price are a couple off-brand Ginzu frying skillets. Rumage sales ain't much better, they're mostly a wasteland of old bread machines, Beanie Babies, and PrestoBurgers...

Yup, I guess it's time for me to call up Superior Products...

MrCoffee

I looked in my Superior products catalog first, but unless I am blind, I didn't see a manual cheese slicer Mr. C!

I didn't see one in Bargreen Ellingson's catalog either.

Back
Top Bottom