Looking for Restaurant Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
... In Newport Beach California or the surrounding area.
DH and I will be taking another car trip, to go to the beach for a few days and he has promised to take me out to eat, well, to be honest, our hotel has no mini 'fridge nor micro, otherwise, I create our meals in the room, so he has to keep that promise ;)

Being from Hawaii, we adore fresh fish done simply, nothing fancy for us.
He does oysters and mussles, while I can have crab and shrimp and lobster, all the other shell seafoods or off the table for us, allergic don't ya know.

I did some WWW research and I found a Marukai and Ranch 99 not far away, so that will be two dining options so far. We also dig Whole Foods (yeah I know the joke, Whole Paycheck) for their Salad Bar and whatever else type of bars they affore there as each store is different, well just have to see on that fare. In Scottsdale, they have a wine bar and a pasta bar, what a perfect pairing...

So my new online community of DC, can you help a gal out? Please?

I don't know anything about Newport Beach, Calif., but we went on a road trip to Michigan recently. I found a fantastic restaurant in Ohio using Yelp. Check for recent reviews and photos.

Yeah GG, I've checked out Tripadvisor as I usually do before each trip, but I wanted to see if some real people here at DC have any first hand knowledge. Sometimes those websites are jaded, I always take Urbanspoon, Yelp, etc with a grain of salt.
And speaking of a road trip to Michigan... our nephew has just moved there, so we may be doing that trip...
Could you share those tips?

I haven't been to Newport Beach in years but the first time I ever heard of salmon on a cedar plank was there. I remember it costing big bucks, so take a fat wallet.

I haven't been to Newport Beach in years but the first time I ever heard of salmon on a cedar plank was there. I remember it costing big bucks, so take a fat wallet.

;)
yup, big 10-4 on that one Kayelle.
Some of the place I've checked out online and looked at their menus,
PHEW!
I always figure that type of an expense into our budget though.
Since we'll be spending our days sittin on the beach,
lunch will be from a cooler sitting next to us.
It'll mostly be dinners that we'll eat out in restaurants.

I haven't been to Newport Beach in at least 15 years, so have no advice on restaurants. Just wanted to say lunch from a cooler on the beach sounds great! :) You're bound to find some fantastic places for dinner there without looking very hard. :yum:

Attachments

• 1408020612243.jpg
    1408020612243.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 291
  • 1408020642442.jpg
    1408020642442.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 1408020681055.jpg
    1408020681055.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 279

WOW! That one's going into my travel log forsure!
I love German foods, the sausages and spaetzle, a good Euro beer (American beer doesn't have that 'chew' to it) AND this place is on the river, that's a plus in my books, historic.

We often go out for lunch and have the picnic/cooler meal at supper. Cheaper that way. ;)

yup @taxlady, we try to make our meal that is purchased at the lunch hour, but in this case, it's looking like being on the beach will out weight that option this trip.
It's only a 4 day stay in Newport Beach though, so.
Who knows, maybe we'll be able to find something right on the beach :idea:

I haven't been to Newport Beach in at least 15 years, so have no advice on restaurants. Just wanted to say lunch from a cooler on the beach sounds great! :) You're bound to find some fantastic places for dinner there without looking very hard. :yum:

When we used to travel a lot in France we always looked for the restaurant with a lot of locally registered cars parked outside and had most of its tables taken. A good system that should work in Newport Beach, too,

Back
Top Bottom