Making Fudge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baldyloxxx

Assistant Cook
hello all

I love fudge and have decided to have a go at perfecting the making of it.
I have had 4 attempts so far, my first went ok, tasted great but was a little hard. So far, the second third and forth attempts have resulted in fudge that wont set! The only factor that has changed since my first go is the aquisition of a cooking thermometer.
i am using one with a spike, but it wasnt called a meat thermometer but just a cooking one, so i dont know if that makes a difference.

Please help as its driving me mad as to why it isnt working, i follow the instructions exactly and the fudge soft balls and i stir afterwards for ages but it just wont set without me having to reboil it.

Any ideas?

Hello, and welcome to DC.

I sure don't claim to be a fudge expert, but I do know what consistently works for perfect fudge every time, and I think the trouble nobody is convinced because it is sooooo simple. No skill or thermometer required.

3 cups (18 oz) chips of your choice....(ie, milk choc, dark choc, peanut butter, or whatever)
1 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
dash of salt
tsp. of vanilla
Melt all in a pan on low heat, or in the microwave
Stir

Pour into a 8 or 9 in. pan lined with foil for easy removal.
Chill till set, and cut into squares.
Done!! The best fudge ever, guaranteed.

I'm no fudge expert either, but I've made similar to Kayelle's recipe with the sweetened condensed milk, and it is outstanding. I got it off the label of the SCM.

I'm no fudge expert either, but I've made similar to Kayelle's recipe with the sweetened condensed milk, and it is outstanding. I got it off the label of the SCM.

I use condensed milk for fudge too. Sorry, I haven't unearthed the recipe yet since the house move but IIRC is came off the back of a can of Nestles CM so probably the same as Dawg's

We always used these two recipes.

The first one is for Penuche, we always made it in the winter and cooled the fudge by setting the hot pan inside a pan of snow. We used walnuts instead of pecans because that is what we always seemed to have on hand. The more you beat this fudge the creamier it will be, its nice to have a helper with a strong arm to take a turn beating it.

pecan penuche recipe | candy recipes

This recipe for Mamie Eisenhower's Million Dollar Fudge or First Lady Fudge was always included on the Christmas cookie plates that we gave to neighbors and friends. Again, we always used walnuts in this fudge.

Mamie Eisenhower's Million Dollar Fudge Recipe : Food Network

If you have a failure that does not set, tell your family and friends that you've come up with a new recipe for ice cream topping, never let'em see ya sweat! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good luck!

Last edited:
We always used these two recipes.

The first one is for Penuche, we always made it in the winter and cooled the fudge by setting the hot pan inside a pan of snow. We used walnuts instead of pecans because that is what we always seemed to have on hand. The more you beat this fudge the creamier it will be, its nice to have a helper with a strong arm to take a turn beating it.

pecan penuche recipe | candy recipes

This recipe for Mamie Eisenhower's Million Dollar Fudge or First Lady Fudge was always included on the Christmas cookie plates that we gave to neighbors and friends. Again, we always used walnuts in this fudge.

Mamie Eisenhower's Million Dollar Fudge Recipe : Food Network

If you have a failure that does not set, tell your family and friends that you've come up with a new recipe for ice cream topping, never let'em see ya sweat! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good luck!
I wonder if old Mamie really made it herself or if she had her cook make it and then claimed it as hers.

I wonder if old Mamie really made it herself or if she had her cook make it and then claimed it as hers.
I think she made them herself, at least before Ike became president. He was career military and from a Pennsylvania Dutch family - not from money.

You need to buy a candy thermometer, sounds like the one you have is an instant read for meats and casseroles. A candy thermometer would be more precise.

Last edited:
I love Fudge and have been making the same version for years - it's the hershey cocoa recipe. It uses regular milk and with some practice it is the best fudge around.

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=5303

While a candy thermometer is a good tool to use, you can learn to use the ice water test method (soft ball stage). I did it this way for years with good results.

I love Fudge and have been making the same version for years - it's the hershey cocoa recipe. It uses regular milk and with some practice it is the best fudge around.

While a candy thermometer is a good tool to use, you can learn to use the ice water test method (soft ball stage). I did it this way for years with good results.
I just printed out that recipe. It looks like a good one, especially using cocoa.

I just printed out that recipe. It looks like a good one, especially using cocoa.

Practice a few times... fudge can be finicky. I think that's why there are so many faux fudge recipes out there. Fudge was never intended to have powdered sugar, marshmallows or condensed milk added, imo. They are substitutes for good technique. On the bright side, even the not quite perfect batches will be awesome :)

Practice a few times... fudge can be finicky. I think that's why there are so many faux fudge recipes out there. Fudge was never intended to have powdered sugar, marshmallows or condensed milk added, imo. They are substitutes for good technique. On the bright side, even the not quite perfect batches will be awesome :)
The real ingredients are big part of what I like about that recipe. I can't count the number of times I could only find recipes with marshmallow cream, sweetened condensed milk, or corn syrup. I don't usually have any of those on hand.

It's worth reading the comments on that recipe... it's an old recipe and one important note that should be IN the recipe is that you really should use full fat milk (or add some half and half to your low fat milk).

Easy, can't fail fudge that is absolutely yummy - See’S Candy Fudge Recipe from See’s

I make other kinds of fudge, from scratch. But this is the most foolproof fudge that I make. And it's a very tasty fudge. What more can you ask of a fudge recipe?

I also make a butterscotch fudge (home-made butterscotch is sooooo good), and a maple-nut fudge using real maple syrup (number two grade, dark).

If you make German Chocolate cake frosting, and omit the canned milk, spread it out in a suitable rectangular pan, it made a very interesting fudge, with that famous icing flavor.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hershey's! I have always said if you want the best, go to the experts. And Hershey is my expert for chocolate. It is why their Chocolate Chocolaty Cake is such a favorite.

I make my fudge in a double boiler. But I do put more water in the bottom that usually. I have never had it burned on the bottom. It does take me a bit longer to make it, but so worth the extra time. I use their extra dark cocoa. It makes a big difference in the taste of chocolate. And cuts down on the sweetness of the fudge. :angel:

... my mother always used "See's Fudge" recipe.

Lol, my mother SWORE hers was the real See's. I am a dismal failure at making fudge that needs a candy thermometer. This may not be See's, but we like it because it's not too sweet and always creamy. And easy...I'm lazy.

Supposedly See's Fudge

1 c butter (2 cubes)
2 c chocolate chips (2 cups)
1/2 c egg substitute*
1 lb powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 c chopped nuts -- optional

1. Melt butter and chocolate chips. stir until smooth.
2. Mix egg substitute* , powdered sugar and vanilla.
3. Combine both mixtures (and nuts if used) and pour into a buttered 13"x9" pan.
4. Refrigerate to set.

*Original recipe called for two eggs, but for food safety's sake, use pasteurized egg substitute.

All this fudge talk got me inspired last night. Pass the milk - we have fudge!

fudge_2.jpg

Oh, man, that looks amazing! Looks just like the fudge my mother made when I was growing up in Michigan. In the winter, she put the pan in the garage to cool :LOL:

All this fudge talk got me inspired last night. Pass the milk - we have fudge!

View attachment 21688

It looks smooth and yummy. Sadly, unless I'm making something other than See's fudge, DW pitches a fit, and so if I want to make another flavor, or different recipe, I have to also make a batch of See's fudge. That's just the way it is with many of my recipes. It's frustrating sometimes. Good thing the See's recipe makes good fudge. I'd just like to make it without the marshmallow, to test my skills if for no other reason.

I have maple syrup. I should get creative tonight. What about a maple/habenero fudge, with pecans? Or maybe a homemade butterscotch with crispy bacon bits? Sounds good, right? Hmmmm.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom