Dinner for Thurs, Aug. 14th '14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
That sounds really good, Kayelle!

Grilling burgers tonight, yay! I do love to grill! We'll have more fresh radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, and bacon bits tossed together with some lettuce to make a salad, and watermelon for dessert.

Since our garden's been so good to us, we're availing us of its bounty tonight. We're going to have Mr. John's Meat-Stuffed Bell Peppers, which I made once before about two weeks ago. Really delicious. 'Cept I didn't have any ground pork so I'm going to use all ground beef. Also, will use my own homemade tomato sauce. Otherwise, I follow the recipe as instructed.

Had a few Italian green beans left that weren't enough to fill a jar to can, so we'll have those lightly steamed with butter and salt. Iced tea to drink and, boo hoo, the last of the strawberry pie for dessert.

We aren't going to Aunt Bea's, but we're having meatloaf too. I baked it yesterday on the tails of my baked goods, figuring I'd just keep running the oven until I was done.

We'll have salad, mashed potatoes, and a veggie to be determined later. And we'll have dessert since I baked yesterday!

My back's been bothering me today so it's a quick burgers on the grill and a salad (and a beer).

Yesterday I made a pasta salad with grilled veggies and a vinaigrette with red-wine vinegar, and today I made chicken salad with some leftover sautéed chicken, celery, basil and chives. I'm also going to make a quick cucumber salad with ranch dressing and serve it all on a bed of chopped romaine hearts.

Tonight was 5” Mini Chicken Pot Pie

img_1380596_0_f24da614f6e07ce8211a3cdb1de69b61.jpg

5” Mini Apple Pie

img_1380596_1_da1e6006f99131652f279e340413686e.jpg

First run of both. Family requested repeat tomorrow night with the addition of a side salad.

A mountain of salad--leaf lettuce, baby kale, swiss chard, green onion, cucumber, carrot, zucchini, black raspberries, zucchini, golden beets, purple beans, baby peas, pea greens, fresh herbs, EVOO and some of my homemade cherry vinegar. Stuffed.

Last edited:
msmofet....what beautiful pot pies! The crust alone looks perfect, I can imagine what the filling was like. :yum:

Steve, your dinner looks amazing. I love sage brown butter sauce - especially nibbling on the crispy sage! It's like savory candy. :ohmy: :yum:

Kayelle, looking forward to hearing about your kalua roast. Sure sounds good. I love my Nesco roaster too, and use it more than the oven.

I had a hair appointment and running around to do this afternoon, so dinner was just a salad. Avocado, mini heirloom tomatoes, cucumber and red onion over romaine, with a simple dressing of EVOO and lemon juice. I was hoping to grill some ribs, but the wind came up so that will have to wait another day. :)

Thanks again to Kgirl for this recipe. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/hawaiian-oven-roasted-kalua-pork-90590.html

I got some fresh banana leaves at the local Mexican market and the pork shoulder is all seasoned and wrapped in leaves and foil. I put it into my handy dandy 5 qt. Nesco Roaster Oven to cut down on the heat in the kitchen. I can hardly wait till dinner time!!

What's on your menu tonight?

Brilliant minds think alike
This morning I put a 7 pounder into the hot box to 'kalua'... I ran out in the deep freeze ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom