What "Floats" Your Boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I'm having a hard time determining the best ever float. Is it a rootbeer float, or a float made with Orange Crush, and orange sherbert? Has anyone ever tried using lemon lime with lemon ice cream, or maybe a cream soda with butter pecan?

What's your favorite float? I'm going to have to try making a float with cream soda. That just sounds good.:chef: I think it's time once more to begin experimenting. I have the A&W root beer mugs ready to go into the freezer. 1960's here I come!:LOL: (Now where si someone that I can spit watermellon seeds at on the back lawn?)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Dad had an old-style pop machine at his business, and for a special treat, he'd bring home a few bottles of the real thing, old fashioned Coca Cola. Made the absolute best coke floats with vanilla ice cream.

I have had the orange "creamsicle" float.

Never had the lemon lime float, I've had my share of this punch.

1/2 gallon lemon or lime sherbert
1 46 ounce can of pineapple fruit juice or similar blend
1 quart ginger ale

My all time favorite is the root beer float made with premium vanilla ice cream.

Don't forget to include a straw so you can teach the new recruits how to blow bubbles or make gross noises when they get to the bottom of the glass! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I still remember after an all-nighter with some friends many years ago, we we decided to have beer floats for breakfast. Bad idea. Don't try it....

You've done something few succeed to do. You made me laugh out loud, and not just as a smiley, really laugh out loud. I've tried some strange concoctions in my day, and in a few other people's days as well. But I can't think of any combination of beer and ice cream that wouldn't taste nearly as bad as the fire roasted worms I ate a a kid.:LOL:

Trust me, I'll take your advise.

Chocolate milk or malted milk and a scoop of ice cream makes a great float.

It might also be good with some maple syrup in milk and a scoop of the Chief's butter pecan ice cream.

Oh, the purple cow! Grape juice over two scoops of vanilla ice cream!

I can feel my blood sugar rising as I type! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I used to make root beer floats for my granddaughter when she was about four. She loved watching it fizzy up. I would put a mirror on the table so she could see her mustache. She didn't like milk, so I would make chocolate milk and put a scoop of chocolate ice cream in it also along with a small bit of soda. I loved watching her enjoy her special treats. :angel:

I'm rather plain in my tastes, 7-up and vanilla ice cream. Always got that when I was sick as a kid, could almost make me look forward to getting sick.

Though a Dreamsicle float with orange soda and vanilla might be pretty good. Will have to try that one.

I once had a delicious thing made with lime sherbet and grape juice. Not something you would normally think would go together but it was wonderful. Somehow, I always forget about the combo and never make it myself. This thread immediately brought it to mind.

So what flavor ice cream would you use with a Dr. Pepper, maybe cherry?

And what float would you add bacon bits to?:LOL: I;m thinking that there are limits to that - "Everything's better with bacon" idea.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I guess I'm decidedly old school, but for me the ideal float is A&W root beer with a scoop of real vanilla ice cream. And because I'm overly picky, I have to open the root beer a day in advance so it's just slightly flat. Nothing else will do.

And no bacon, please.

Last edited:
An old-fashioned root beer float with quality vanilla ice cream is still my favorite. However, I'll give a nod to my grandparents' favorite: 7-Up with vanilla ice cream. This is back when most soft drinks were made with REAL cane sugar and there was a decided difference in taste.

Slightly off-topic but doesn't anybody ever make a genuine "chocolate malted milk shake" anymore? There was something special about the addition of malt.

An old-fashioned root beer float with quality vanilla ice cream is still my favorite. However, I'll give a nod to my grandparents' favorite: 7-Up with vanilla ice cream. This is back when most soft drinks were made with REAL cane sugar and there was a decided difference in taste.

Slightly off-topic but doesn't anybody ever make a genuine "chocolate malted milk shake" anymore? There was something special about the addition of malt.

I do, I do. I add malted milk powder to my shakes, though I rarely make shakes anymore. (If my body liked them, I'd have one every dinner meal. I love malts, as we called them.)

I even like just plain cold milk with malt powder. But you have to make it with a special, precise technique to get it smooth. First, you have to add the malt powder to an empty, dry glass. Add a tbs. of milk and stir into a paste. Add another tbs. of cold milk, and stir until you have a smooth syrup. Slowly add more milk while stirring energetically until the glass is full. It's now ready to drink.:yum:

Dr. Pepper and vanilla ice cream. With a cherry on top. :yum:

Just had one this weekend with ice cream made with my antique Alaska Hostess freezer. :)

Chief, Cherry ice cream would be good but I'm old and set in my ways so I'll use vanilla with the cherry on the top. ;)

Unless I make some cherry ice cream. :rolleyes:

Then all bets are off. :LOL:

I do love to every now and again put a scoop of vanilla ice cream into a nice hot mug of dark roast coffee.:wub:

Would you call that a float? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom