Tuesday's Menu? 9th Sept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creative

Head Chef
I made spag bols but with 2 differences.

I have noticed that using lean steak mince results in a dry texture. So I added some organic coconut oil to the olive oil when lightly sauteeing the mince. It made for a moister texture/better mouth feel.

Also (although I know traditionally the sauce is served over the cooked pasta in bowls), I mixed the spaghetti into the sauce and left it to soak in for about 10 mins (off the heat). Result? The pasta absorbed the sauce more and it tasted better.

Tonight's dinner will be pan seared duck breast, wild rice with slivered almonds and dried cranberries, and sliced fresh tomato with red wine vinegar, S&P.

Our day started out with heavy rain so I decided to make taco soup with all the trimmings. By dinner time we were having bright sunshine but the soup was good anyway.

I spelunked some split pea soup with ham. It was a good vintage.

"Vintage" pea soup, Dawg? How deep is that freezer? :huh: :LOL:

Himself grilled a huge chicken leg last night when he grilled our steak. I'll top it with a blend of pistachios, fresh parsley, lemon juice and capers - I can't wait for Himself's review. We'll have that along with sauteed bacon and kale, Brussels sprouts, and rice. We're trying a new-to-us brand of rice, Lundberg Family Farms, choosing to start with the Wild Blend. I'll add a pat of butter, lemon zest and some seasonings to be decided later.

I realized that my salsa (I prep everything and then fire up the pot) also doubled as gazpacho. So I had 2 big bowls of gazpacho and 2 ears of corn that I ran in to the pot from the corn field. Dessert was watermelon.

Tonight's dinner will be pan seared duck breast, wild rice with slivered almonds and dried cranberries, and sliced fresh tomato with red wine vinegar, S&P.

Duck breast is one of my favorites. You just reminded me that we have some in the freezer that should probably be used fairly soon.

Broiled Salmon with stir fried veggies.

img_1386368_0_df79e4c922e2796b8cfc578bf1bc3d17.jpg

I marinated a London broil in Italian dressing and cooked it on the grill pan. I also sautéed bell peppers, summer squash, red onion and garlic with pesto and tossed it with gnocchi.

Normally, I don't care for salmon, but that looks delicious, Steve!
Steve your meal looks really tasty, even though I detest cooked salmon.
Thanks! I'll let you in on a little secret. I stole from Kayelle's porc provençal idea. I slathered it with Dijon mustard and herbs de provence, and cooked it under the broiler. It came out very moist and tasty.

Last edited:
The weather was perfect for grilling, so we had burgers made from grass fed beef and bean salad.

Stirling's burgers:

20140909_193227.jpg

20140909_193801.jpg

And my burger:

20140909_193823.jpg

oh tax! that looks delicious!

i'm still trying to decide between the diner (either a "chicago" burger and fries, or hot open faced turkey), chinese (spicy beef chow fun and seaweed soup), or mexican (steak enchiladas and mexican rice).

decisions, decisions.

Braised pork butt made Cuban style with mojo as the main braising liquid. Basically a pork pot roast with carrots, potatoes and onions.:)

The weather was perfect for grilling, so we had burgers made from grass fed beef and bean salad.

Stirling's burgers:

20140909_193227.jpg

20140909_193801.jpg

And my burger:

20140909_193823.jpg
TL--was that ground from Conrad or was that from the "non-Conrad" ground beef we got? I found that ground was very good--DH thinks it is too fatty, but he is one of those people who eats no fat, so all ground meat is fatty...however, he has admitted that grass fed beef is much, much better than what one gets at the supermarket. Those burgers, btw, look delish! I'm thawing one of the roasts to make on the weekend.

TL--was that ground from Conrad or was that from the "non-Conrad" ground beef we got? I found that ground was very good--DH thinks it is too fatty, but he is one of those people who eats no fat, so all ground meat is fatty...however, he has admitted that grass fed beef is much, much better than what one gets at the supermarket. Those burgers, btw, look delish! I'm thawing one of the roasts to make on the weekend.
This was the non-Conrad ground beef. I like that it has more fat. Yup, noticeably tastier meat.

What kind of roast are you doing?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom