Chocolate Cupcakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desmond

Washing Up
I think this might be a little adventures for me. I was looking at the idea of making chocolate cup cakes but what I really like is the chocolate holders. This may need special containers to get the shape. I have look at recipes on line but only get the ones were you use paper holders. Is this a step too far?

Are you saying you want to make a cupcake in a bowl shape that you can then fill with something?

Yes I want to use chocolate to make the holder. Some shops do this as corrugated chocolate and fill with strawberry's and cream etc.

Here's one solution:

You will need two identical cupcake pans. Make a recipe of cupcake batter and fill each cup in one of the pans about 1/3 full with batter. Then place the second cupcake pan on top so the bottoms of the cups push into the batter. This will force the batter into a cup/bowl shape. Bake, cool and remove.

Be sure to use oil or a spray on the inside of the first pan's cups and the outside of the second pan's cups so they will not stick to the batter.

Or do you want to make a bowl out of regular chocolate, not batter?

OR, are you looking for a holder in place of the paper cups that are used in each cupcake pan?

To do that you would need to put melted chocolate into the paper cup until half filled, tilt it until all sides are covered with the melted chocolate and then tip upside down to pour out the excess chocolate. To remove the paper cup, place them in the fridge until solid and then gently peel the paper cup off. Then place the cup cake in each chocolate holder. I would suggest making the chocolate cups larger than the cup cakes. Just buy the larger paper cups than the size of the cup cakes. I have seen Jacques Torres (Mr. Chocolate) do this many times with leaves, cupcake paper cups, balloons and many other materials. It takes super patience and can be labor intensive. Be sure to make extra chocolate cups and that your hands are cool to the touch when handling the chocolate. If the chocolate starts to cool and not pour easily, gently heat back to the melted stage. Good luck in your quest. :angel:

Last edited:
Or, you could make a chocolate shortbread recipe, cut in circles, and put those in a muffin tin (I'd put circles of parchment paper on top and use dried beans or pie weights to keep the dough in place), bake, and then fill.

Addie has hit on what I want to do. Maybe I did not explain it properly I wanted a piece of chocolate the same shape and pattern as a paper cup cake. I have looked at some other ideas and you can get re usable silicon ones. It shouldn't take a lot of chocolate for each one but it would depend on how thick I want them.

I need to look at what to put in then now. Doesn't have to be chocolate. So recipes for the fairy cup cake. Should have some ideas here.

Thanks for the help.

Addie has hit on what I want to do. Maybe I did not explain it properly I wanted a piece of chocolate the same shape and pattern as a paper cup cake. I have looked at some other ideas and you can get re usable silicon ones. It shouldn't take a lot of chocolate for each one but it would depend on how thick I want them.

I need to look at what to put in then now. Doesn't have to be chocolate. So recipes for the fairy cup cake. Should have some ideas here.

Thanks for the help.

I would suggest you use Reynolds Aluminum cupcake papers. They will stand up to the handling. They will sit on the palm of your hands and the sides are less likely to collapse. Or you could go to a professional baking craft supply store.

Bakechef, any suggestions from you? :angel:

Last edited:
If I have imagined the project correctly, please let us know which method works. I can't figure a way to bake a cupcake in a chocolate cup without the chocolate cup (the kind used with cream fillings) melting into a puddle during baking as soon as it hits about 100 degrees. Have you thought about dipping the cooled, baked cupcakes into chocolate and then inserting them back into the ridged cups to cool and harden? Interesting project.

What he is trying to do is make a chocolate candy like cup in the shape of a paper cupcake liner that goes into the cupcake tin before you put in the batter. No actual cupcake involved. He will then fill the cups with candies, prizes, etc. :angel:

Desmond, I searched Youtube for "Chocolate Dessert Cups" and got a lot of video hits. I did watch one because it showed how to make them in the shape of a bowl and how to form the base so that the bowl doesn't roll around. If you want the shells shaped like cupcake papers, I would think spraying the outside of an aluminum cupcake "paper" would work, although keeping the shape while dipping might pose a challenge. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylPTUxOXeig

Hi thanks' for this.
What I thought of doing is this.

Get a silicon cup cake holder as in my link above to one of them. It claims to stand oven temperatures up to 260c. I would only go up to 200c.

place some chocolate in a small glass bowl and put in a microwave for a short time. Saves on cleaning out saucepan's and can be re heated as required with more chocolate

Using a child's paint brush, paint the inside of the silicon holder leaving the top 1/8 inch free then put in fridge for about 20 minutes to harden.

Repeat 3 or 4 times to make it thick.

Get a good recipe for chocolate cake and spoon into the cup cakes still in the silicon.

Follow cooking instructions in my combo microwave.

Leave to cool in a fridge. Because we I did not paint all the way to the top of the silicon, I can peel it back better.

I am a novice to this sweet cooking ( I have lots of curry recipes), and I can't multitask but feel that this would work.

Have I lost the plot?

You are going to use the chocolate painted cupcake cups to bake cupcakes? The painted chocolate will melt and may not keep its shape.

You are going to use the chocolate painted cupcake cups to bake cupcakes? The painted chocolate will melt and may not keep its shape.

I would say the painted chocolate will melt and become one with the cupcake batter ;) If you want to do this, you will need to make the chocolate cups and the cupcakes separately, then put the cooled cupcakes in the cups. They may or may not fit and might break the cups as you put the cupcakes in.

Another option would be to make them separately, then cut the cupcakes into cubes - or, to make it easier, just make a chocolate cake - and mix the cake pieces with pudding, whipped cream, or whipped mascarpone cheese, and fill the chocolate cups with the mixture. Or with just the cake pieces and put a dollop of whipped cream or something on top for garnish.

Desmond, I searched Youtube for "Chocolate Dessert Cups" and got a lot of video hits. I did watch one because it showed how to make them in the shape of a bowl and how to form the base so that the bowl doesn't roll around. If you want the shells shaped like cupcake papers, I would think spraying the outside of an aluminum cupcake "paper" would work, although keeping the shape while dipping might pose a challenge. Good luck!

:yum: We had dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse once and dessert was chocolate mousse in a chocolate dessert cup. OMG, so good! :yum:

Ok thanks for that. I thought it might work. My original idea was to put cold creamy stuff into it afterward but was stuck for ideas. We have in Yorkshire Bette's cake shop. I could have a look for ideas.

I could do this separate and still paint.

Can anyone remember this. As a child (100 years ago), my mother used miniature oranges, bananas and apples. These were a soft sugary sweet that tasted like oranges, bananas and apples. If I go ahead with this it should be like a cream type cake placed inside the pre made chocolate cake. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom