Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Food and Kitchen Safety (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   Food Left Out, Spoilage concern (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f129/food-left-out-spoilage-concern-90913.html)

creative 09-12-2014 05:14 AM

Food Left Out, Spoilage concern

Please advise! I forgot to put the freshly made pot of stew in the fridge last night. I woke up and found it still sitting in the cool kitchen (I was waiting for it to cool down). Of course I immediately placed it in the fridge. (I have a fridge thermometer and so my fridge is always kept at the right temp). It is just some cooked stewing steak (beef) with lots of cooked veg in a thick gravy.

I have lost my sense of smell so am a bit nervous about detecting whether it will be safe to heat up today. I think it should be OK as the meat has been cooked.

Do members think it will be safe to heat up and eat this evening?

GotGarlic 09-12-2014 09:10 AM

Was the pot covered? If it was, then it's unlikely that any bacteria got into it after it was cooked. I would eat it, but I would bring it to a boil and simmer it for at least 10 minutes first.

My uncle sailed around the world on a sailboat without refrigeration. My aunt made large pots of soup regularly and treated them this way with no ill effects for each of them. They also used mayo with no refrigeration. :ohmy: Well, that's what preservatives are for, right? :wink:

Btw, in the future, I would suggest posting questions in the appropriate forum, like Food Safety, rather than a general off-topic forum like this one. You're more likely to get answers sooner if people see the question in a thread title.

creative 09-12-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotGarlic (Post 1386805)
Was the pot covered? If it was, then it's unlikely that any bacteria got into it after it was cooked. I would eat it, but I would bring it to a boil and simmer it for at least 10 minutes first.

My uncle sailed around the world on a sailboat without refrigeration. My aunt made large pots of soup regularly and treated them this way with no ill effects for each of them. They also used mayo with no refrigeration. :ohmy: Well, that's what preservatives are for, right? :wink:

Btw, in the future, I would suggest posting questions in the appropriate forum, like Food Safety, rather than a general off-topic forum like this one. You're more likely to get answers sooner if people see the question in a thread title.

Thanks for your reply. Yes the pot was covered so I guess it is OK to eat then.

I posted it here since it came under what I did. I wondered about posting it elsewhere but it seems that this thread is more active.

GotGarlic 09-12-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creative (Post 1386813)
Thanks for your reply. Yes the pot was covered so I guess it is OK to eat then.

I posted it here since it came under what I did. I wondered about posting it elsewhere but it seems that this thread is more active.

I suppose you could look at it that way :smile: I''m not sure how others use the forum - I thought we had a thread on that, but I can't find it - but I always check the New Posts link first to see what has been posted since my last visit. So a new thread titled "Is my soup safe to eat?" in the Food Safety forum would catch my attention before new posts in the "What are you doing?" forum, which I think of as benign and don't read first. Diff'rent strokes and all that :wink:

PrincessFiona60 09-12-2014 10:10 AM

I've moved this to the Food Safety Forum.

GotGarlic 09-12-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 (Post 1386816)
I've moved this to the Food Safety Forum.

You're so good! :smile:

PrincessFiona60 09-12-2014 10:15 AM

I do my best...time to go torment my patients with my rude sense of humor:lol:

creative 09-12-2014 11:15 AM

Thanks but it would seem that I have had the situation solved, i.e. with GG's reply. Unless others' opinions may differ I suppose?

Kayelle 09-12-2014 11:41 AM

I was so sick with food poisoning once, that I was hospitalized with IV's for three days. There's no way in the world I'd eat that soup, nor would I give it to my dog. What you do is your choice.

The next time you leave something out to cool, set your timer.

creative 09-12-2014 12:08 PM

Oh...now I am confused. 2 conflicting replies.