Replacement for phyllo dough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahvthompson

Assistant Cook
Hello - I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and am hosting a baby shower soon. I would like to eat what I prepare for the guests and have modified everything, but I am not sure how to replace phyllo cups (such as Athens) for one dish. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or are there GF phyllo cups that I don't know about? Many thanks in advance!

Sarah

Welcome to DC. Whole Foods might have a gluten-free phyllo dough. You could make your own:

Gluten Free Phyllo Dough

Or, perhaps you could share what it is you want to make using phyllo cups. DCers might be able to come up with another delivery device for what it is you're making. I am wondering if rice wrappers could substitute...

I was thinking of trying rice papers as well, so I may experiment with that this weekend. I'm not making anything complicated -- just goat cheese with various herbs mixed in. The cups just need to be cooked in advance. I will also check out Whole Foods. Thanks!

gluten free stuff does not taste as good as regular baked goods. i think it's not a good idea to expect everyone to eat gluten free just because you do.

it's also about 20 times more expensive.

Those are adorable and they sound yummy. I wish the author had specified what kind of goat cheese. I assume it's supposed to be a soft, fresh cheese.

I have had goat cheeses from Norwegian geitost to soft to Brie-like. I have read that there are hard goat cheeses. Feta could also be made from goat's milk. Hmm, feta might be good in that recipe.

I think I will try making it with quark.

Those are adorable and they sound yummy. I wish the author had specified what kind of goat cheese. I assume it's supposed to be a soft, fresh cheese.

I have had goat cheeses from Norwegian geitost to soft to Brie-like. I have read that there are hard goat cheeses. Feta could also be made from goat's milk. Hmm, feta might be good in that recipe.

I think I will try making it with quark.

TL, I often see it referenced here. What is Quark? I don't think I have ever seen it in my supermarket. :angel:

TL, I often see it referenced here. What is Quark? I don't think I have ever seen it in my supermarket. :angel:
Quark is a fresh cheese that is a lot like cream cheese. I have seen it at the health food store, but I make my own. It's easy to make.

gluten free stuff does not taste as good as regular baked goods. i think it's not a good idea to expect everyone to eat gluten free just because you do.

Not necessarily. There are other products besides flour that make a very tasty dough. Rice and Potato flour come to mind. :angel:

I don't eat white sugar. When I host friends, I cook the way I eat. If I know someone has certain dietary restrictions, I'll flex my cooking brain to come up with something that can be enjoyed by all. I think that is a sign of a good host/hostess, to make sure that the food chosen and prepared is, IMO, being a gracious and considerate host. Obviously, s/one with food restrictions is going to have ingredients in the house that may be specific to that person's needs. I think it would be silly to prepare a bunch of food the hostess should not eat.

I don't eat white sugar. When I host friends, I cook the way I eat. If I know someone has certain dietary restrictions, I'll flex my cooking brain to come up with something that can be enjoyed by all. I think that is a sign of a good host/hostess, to make sure that the food chosen and prepared is, IMO, being a gracious and considerate host. Obviously, s/one with food restrictions is going to have ingredients in the house that may be specific to that person's needs. I think it would be silly to prepare a bunch of food the hostess should not eat.

A gracious host would have both their own foods and something to meet the needs of the guests. If I know someone has a nut allergy, I would make sure all peanut butter was out of the house. It is the nice thing to do. :angel:

A gracious host would have both their own foods and something to meet the needs of the guests. If I know someone has a nut allergy, I would make sure all peanut butter was out of the house. It is the nice thing to do. :angel:
+1 I totally agree. When I invite people over, I want to make sure that what I offer is something my guests want to eat and the meal is a pleasurable experience. The nicest compliment I've ever received was that a meal at my house was like eating at a fine restaurant. I do cater to my guests. If I know someone doesn't like cilantro, I don't include that in any dishes. If I know s/one doesn't eat white flour and I want to serve a dish that includes a pastry shell, I will make it with whole wheat or chick pea flour. I can cook for myself the rest of the time--but when I invite friends for a meal, I want to make sure that what they are served is something they will enjoy. It just seems like the right thing to do. Otherwise, I would spring for a meal at a restaurant where they could order what they like.

When I hosted the DH's b'day party, I had 5 guests who were vegetarians. Other than the hamburgers and kimchee, everything was vegetarian. And, I made sure that I didn't use CI pans that had been used to prepare meat to cook the vegetarian burgers. Not a big deal. But my friends who are strict vegetarians thanked me. One of them told me it is so hard for them to go to BBQs and other dinners where people don't take into account their beliefs or how they eat. For me, it was easy. I asked in advanced how to accommodate their dietary needs and that was it. Once she told me, I had no problem incorporating that into what was served.

Last edited:
+1 I totally agree. When I invite people over, I want to make sure that what I offer is something my guests want to eat and the meal is a pleasurable experience. The nicest compliment I've ever received was that a meal at my house was like eating at a fine restaurant. I do cater to my guests. If I know someone doesn't like cilantro, I don't include that in any dishes. If I know s/one doesn't eat white flour and I want to serve a dish that includes a pastry shell, I will make it with whole wheat or chick pea flour. I can cook for myself the rest of the time--but when I invite friends for a meal, I want to make sure that what they are served is something they will enjoy. It just seems like the right thing to do. Otherwise, I would spring for a meal at a restaurant where they could order what they like.
And it was a mighty fine wholewheat crust. The whole meal was delish.

Back
Top Bottom