Saturday....what's for dinner? 9-13-14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I just fried up a few chicken thighs. Coated in a mixture of flour with a good amount of Penzey's "33rd and Galena" spice mix :ohmy: :yum:, then dipped in egg, then another coating of the flour mixture. Smells wonderful. Fried in a cast iron pan in veg oil. Baked potato with sour cream and chives, and sliced tomatoes and cucumbers will be on the side.

The rest of the chicken thighs will be for nibbling on over the weekend.

What's on everyone's plate for this evening? :chef:

Last edited:
Found a beautiful meaty 2 pound beef shank for $2.50...am busily waiting for it to become very tender for beef barley soup.

That sounds just wonderful Cheryl ! I love fried thighs done like that but I haven't wanted to spend that long over a hot stove lately. Dang it's hot here, and we're not really used to temps like this.

We're having Taco Salad tonight, with leftover taco meat from last night. I have a nice big avocado ready to slice all pretty on the top.

Tonight's delights include cube steak cooked with onions and mushrooms with a tomato (V-8 juice) and sour cream sauce. A tossed salad will assuage my guilt for not eating more healthfully.

Yum....beef barley soup is something I haven't had in so long. I'd love a cube steak dinner too, and could go for taco salad any night of the week! :yum:

Kay, I've heard that it's unseasonably hot down where you are. It's warm here too, but not too bad for this time of year. Only in the 90's, and I guess I'm used to it. I don't fry chicken very often, but have had a hankerin' for cold fried chicken to nibble on for the next few days, so a few minutes over the stove is worth it for me. :LOL:

I'm still deciding
I have Chicken Pineapple sweet and sour to make, if I want. I bought two boneless chicken breasts today.
I'm dying to make sweet 'n sour pork one of these days.

I bought some companies sweet 'n sour packet mix to make my own sweet 'n sour pork.

I miss the La Choy brand Sweet 'n Sour Pork (discontinued long ago), so now I want to make my own.

Last edited:
I overate yesterday so for my Saturday "dinner" had a bowl of organic muesli, banana sliced up, walnuts and organic coconut probiotic yogurt.

Vegetable stir fry with brown rice. The last two teaspoons of 5 layer chocolate dessert.

Last edited:
I went a little International today. Asian chicken soup and Greek-style wrapped sandwich. I should have used only one bundle of rice noodles in the soup - it turned out to be more of a "stewp".

i'm trying to get the energy up to make dinner. i feel beat up today. after a rough night at work last night, i was woken up about every hour or so by my neighbours (macedonian music is horrific, and macedonian women in conversation sound like battling geese).

i'm thinking of making a hot open turkey, or maybe beaner wieners.

Two frozen squashed hamburger patties that I partially thawed and made a quasi McDonalds quarter pounder into. Oven french fries . Not bad actually.
Beer drinking. Saturday night beer drinking.

Tomorrow is Sunday...I know...I know

Last edited:
Yummm....omelettes, fajitas, guacamole....(!) soups, hamburgers...fried rice....if I weren't so full I'd be craving everything.

Dawg, it seems like you always end up with just a teaspoon or two of the last of the goodies. :ohmy::glare: It's time to start hiding stuff. :LOL:

GG reminded me I have 2 almost ripe avocados and a lime, I need to make guacamole manana. :)

bucky, I don't know what Macedonian music is, but any loud music while I'm trying to sleep would be annoying. :glare:

We had a couple of duck breasts in the freezer that a hunting friend had given us last year. So I pulled the package out to thaw yesterday and opened it up. Holy cow!! I don't know what kind of ducks these were, but each breast weighed around a pound and a half. Can you say "buxom?" :ohmy:

They were so large, we invited a couple of friends over to share in the bounty. I pan cooked them slowly to render off the fat, and then finished them in the oven. I also made a raspberry and red wine reduction sauce. For sides, we had brussells sprouts with bacon, and wild rice pilaf. :yum:

img_1387211_0_e6414fa1926d80671ab727e0bf673868.jpg

Last edited:
bucky, I don't know what Macedonian music is, but any loud music while I'm trying to sleep would be annoying. :glare:

yeah, but i can't complain. it's during the day. macedonia sits right at the bottom of the old yugoslavia: between old europe, greece, and has turkish influences.
not exactly dolcet tones nor mellow muzak.

anyway, i ended up wolfing down a bag o' salad with poppyseed dressing, and making hot open turkey with doctored up stove top stuffing (pear, cashew, and onion).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom