Pulled Pork with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
I have made pulled pork a few times since I first asked for assistance here. I have tried slight variations on the recipes too, but all are, without fail, utterly delicious. :yum:

However, I have to say I don't enjoy pulled pork served in a bun. (Yes, I know, how very Un-American of me!) :rolleyes: But I happened to mention this to my American friend (in Tucson) today and she too loves pulled pork - but not in a bun.

So, if you love pulled pork, what do you like it served with (other than in a bun of course.)

Oh, and my favourite combination is lovely mashed potato. :)

Appropriately un-American.

Barbeque baked beans
Potato salad
Cole Slaw
In a taco shell with the appropriate toppings
In a pastry turnover like an empanada.

INFIDEL DEFILER NOT ON A BUN! Some one go get the inquisitor. :mad:

Just kidding. ;)

We don't put them on buns around here either. Buns tend to get all soggy with sauce and drippin's from the cole slaw.

We use french bread baguettes and split them length wise. Butter/garlic butter the inside and grill/griddle until GBD. The crust helps keep the bread from getting soggy and adds another layer of flavor.

Leftovers make great chili, posole, or carnitas.

Katy, loads of folks eat pulled pork sandwiches...
try some sort of cole slaw
I like Guy Fieri's Asian Slaw myself, I make extra dressing and keep it in the `fridge for my green salads as well.
you could go with a mayo based slaw too.
I also serve baked beans along side sometimes, loads of pickles,
sliced hot peppers like jalapenos, potato salad, macaroni salad,
potato chips, the possiblities are endless.

what andy said, plus corn on the cob, corn bread, hush puppies, and loaded baked potatoes.

Taco shell - is this the hard kind? I have seen ads on TV just lately that show a soft(ish) sort of boat-shaped shell that looks very un-traditional but very practical! I think PP would go very well in something like that?

Steamed corn tortilla's could be interesting too.

Or a chalupa style flat taco

Or a flour tortilla served burrito style

Or ...getting hungry

I feel appropriately "roasted"! :ROFLMAO:

Now I do have to say, a good "slaw" is a fantastic thing to go with pulled pork - no arguments there at all! :yum:

INFIDEL DEFILER NOT ON A BUN! Some one go get the inquisitor. :mad:

Just kidding. ;)

We don't put them on buns around here either. Buns tend to get all soggy with sauce and drippin's from the cole slaw.

We use french bread baguettes and split them length wise. Butter/garlic butter the inside and grill/griddle until GBD. The crust helps keep the bread from getting soggy and adds another layer of flavor.

Leftovers make great chili, posole, or carnitas.

And the soggy bun is my main issue of course.

Chili with left over pork? Hm, okay. I am trying to think if I have made posole - it sounds familiar..... Carnitas, no - explain please?

I always eat with a fork (and usually with a knife too!) Maybe this is where I am going wrong? :LOL:

Why have I stayed away so long!! :brows: << is this a new one? I like it!

You could also tie a tea towel around your neck to save your clothes from messy food.:ROFLMAO:

I've used pulled pork in tacos, burritos, spaghetti sauce, pizza, anything that I use chopped or broken meat bits. But my family likes it best on buns with slaw.

I believe you're using my recipe and I'm thrilled that you like it so much :) In addition to the bun with slaw, I also like it on a soft flour tortilla with pickled onions, Monterey Jack cheese - mozzarella would work, too - and a squeeze of lime juice with Mexican rice on the side. An easy way to make Mexican rice is to make regular rice - 1 cup rice and 2 cups water - but replace 1/2 cup of the water with 1/2 cup of salsa.

You could also add pulled pork to tomato sauce as a sort of pork ragu and serve over pasta.

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/pickled-red-onions/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom