Where's the Beef Tuesday, 9-16-14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Salt-crusted roasted herbed eye of round with roasted celery root/carrots and asparagus. Eye of round was put in the herb marinade yesterday evening after I tied up the bresaola (which was the other half of the 6+ pound eye and has been curing for the last 2 weeks) and we got it hung up to dry.

Last edited:
My dear sister took pity on my being all alone so she invited me for dinner tonight. I believe the menu includes gilled ribeyes, lyonnaise potatoes and a salad.

I'm making a quick chocolate cake with a ganache topping to take for dessert.

i haven't had bresaola in ages as it's so hard to find around here.
never thought of making it myself. hmm, maybe an upcoming project.

i have 4 big, bone in chicken breasts that have to turn into dinner tonight. i'm not sure what to do with them. maybe just grilled, i dunno.

I found a recipe for something a lot like enchiladas, but using crepes instead of tortillas. I'm going to give that a try.

Any recommendations for sides?

I found a recipe for something a lot like enchiladas, but using crepes instead of tortillas. I'm going to give that a try.

Are you making beef/chicken enchiladas with them or something else? If you are making enchiladas, a Mexican rice or refried beans.

... maybe just grilled, i dunno.

This time of year I use every opportunity to grill. The weather is absolutely perfect, not too hot and soon it will be too cold, though I try to grill even in the winter. So definitely grill, grill, grill.

Are you making beef/chicken enchiladas with them or something else? If you are making enchiladas, a Mexican rice or refried beans.
Making it with ground beef. Those sound like good ideas. Thanks. Any good recipes for either of them?

i haven't had bresaola in ages as it's so hard to find around here.
never thought of making it myself. hmm, maybe an upcoming project.

It's our first foray into air-drying. Craig got the book Charcuterie, among other things, for X-mas and that's the recipe we are using. Bresaola seems like a fairly easy first try since it's a solid piece of meat. We're using a wine fridge for our drying chamber.

Making it with ground beef. Those sound like good ideas. Thanks. Any good recipes for either of them?
Out tonight so eating early.

Boned and skinned (thank you Mr butcher) chicken thighs, boiled new potatoes and carrots, watercress, steamed baby sweetcorn and sugar snap peas, followed by fat free natural yoghourt (home made) - all "free food" - and a spoonful of home made raspberry jam - 2 Syns.

What makes you think I'm on Slimming World. I went to the Drs for my tetanus booster y'day. Nurse decided to weigh me which was a shock so I looked up the nearest SW meeting and went last night. Bigger shock. The consultant's electronic scales weighed me in at 1/2 a stone more. Gulp!

Taking it seriously this time.

Going to make up some chicken breasts stuffed with Asiago cheese, and cappicola. Going to flour, egg wash and panko the breasts. Then, bake. Served with some kind of potato and figure out what to do with a basket of yellow heirloom tomatoes I was given...

Last edited:

Easy Mexican rice: make regular rice - 1 cup rice and 2 cups water - but replace 1/2 cup of the water with salsa. I use canned refried beans but I doctor them up with salsa, cilantro and lime juice and top with the same cheese I used on the main dish.

Easy Mexican rice: make regular rice - 1 cup rice and 2 cups water - but replace 1/2 cup of the water with salsa. I use canned refried beans but I doctor them up with salsa, cilantro and lime juice and top with the same cheese I used on the main dish.
I saw your recipe for easy Mexican rice in some other thread today and was thinking of trying it. Do you think there would be any problem doing it with brown rice? We don't use white rice at my house.

I saw your recipe for easy Mexican rice in some other thread today and was thinking of trying it. Do you think there would be any problem doing it with brown rice? We don't use white rice at my house.

I don't think so. The salsa will just cook longer with the rice, which won't hurt it.

Have a hankerin' for Taco Tuesday. May have to make some Mexican rice to go with them.

Last edited:

Taxi, authentic Mexican rice never has any chunks like Spanish Rice does. I don't see why it couldn't be done with brown rice with more water and cooking time.

I posted this a long time ago..

My friend owns a Mexican restaurant and I could never get it just right until she taught me how. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a sauce pan, and saute one cup of dry rice for a minute or two. Add 1 and 3/4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 tsp. of cumin, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir and bring to the boil. Cover, and cut heat to the lowest flame. Let it simmer for 15 min. Fluff with a fork. Perfect Mexican rice.
Do not try to substitute any other tomato product.....it just won't work.
BTW, I buy tomato paste in a tube rather than by the can. It's always ready for this recipe, and others, in the fridge without opening a whole can.

Hawaiian Style Beef Stew

(I could have sworn I posted this earlier today, :shrug: )

:bounce:
Very excited to be having a small piece from home
for dinner tonight, Beef Stew Plate lunch!
Maybe I should make some Macaromi Salad to go along side :yum:
I kinda follow this recipe, with my own addiotions of course
The weather is horrid here in the middle of the desert,
Hurricane Odile has made a mess of things,
so I need something warm and familiar

Back
Top Bottom