Worcestershire Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mom always said war-chester-shire sauce. I learned to pronounce it properly as wooster sheer like most folks here. I too use it in marinades for steaks, mix it in hamburgers and meatloaf. I always splash some in my tartar sauce too. Most any beef recipe can be boosted with it. I've never tried it on veggies but will have to give that a go.

Oops, my fault!

Sometimes my fingers can be downright ignorant, lucky I have a smart mouth! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Just shows how long it is since I last checked my bottle of L&P! (Or how much notice I take of this really quite useful thing that I have been ignoring all this time!) :LOL:

I use all the ways people mentioned, but haven't really tried it on vegis. I'll have to try that. It's good in some salad dressings. I don't much like it on steak.

I pronounce it Wister or Wiste-sher

Katy, the sauce is wooster sauce. So what do you call the city?

Also, what's umami sauce?

I don't call the city anything!!! Never been there! It's "way oop north". :-p

Honest answer? In my head the city is called "Works" - the city is spelt Worcestor, but is abbreviated as "Worcs".

As for umami, yes, I have paste not sauce. I doff my hat Sir.

Wooster-sheer here, too. I use it in meatloaf and meatballs and some soups and stews. Never thought of putting it on tomatoes. I'm going to try that.

Addie, if you look at a map of southeastern Virginia, you'll see lots of familiar place names. Some of the first European explorers found and named towns, rivers, etc., here, including the Elizabeth River right down the street from me.

Jamestown of course was named after King James. And there is Williamsburg, named after King William of Orange. A lot of the folks who came here named their town after the one they came from in England. I know there is more, but right now I am having a senior moment and can't think of them. :angel:

I use all the ways people mentioned, but haven't really tried it on vegis. I'll have to try that. It's good in some salad dressings. I don't much like it on steak.

I pronounce it Wister or Wiste-sher

Now that is a totally new one on me Taxy!

I pronounce it wuster sheer, but I abbreviate it for my grocery list worc.

I like your pronunciation best, Katy and I'm going to call it wooster sauce from now on. Like you said, it's easier to pronounce,

In my part of the southern US, we call it worster-Shire. Emphasis on the second syllable. Eat it on steak, add it to hamburger meat before cooking, in stews (especially a good shake into a Brunswick Stew) and mostly in Bloody Marys.

Talking about "brown sauce" on another thread reminds me that I keep meaning to ask everyone about Worcestershire Sauce. I see it mentioned time and time again on "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives", so clearly it is a well-known ingredient across the pond.

I have two questions for everyone (and I particularly want to hear from some other Brits as well as everyone else on this one.)

1. How do you pronounce it? (I pronounce it "Wooster") And I cannot lie, I do smile when I hear it pronounced in all sorts of ways on DD&D.

2. If you use it, what do you use it for? I hardly ever use it, but at the same time, I always have it in my cupboard. (Strange, but true - every few years I check the sell-by date - realise it is way past and get another bottle.):blush:
I read recently that the US version of Lea & Perrins is slightly different to ours but it didn't specify how it was different.

Despite the sell-by date it lasts forever. When we broke up our student flat when we graduated we divvied up the kitchen stores and the bottle of Worcestershire sauce was part of my share. I finally finished it 3 years later. I swear it had got better with age. I expect the makers put a sell-by date to cover themselves.

I use it in lots of things, not just bloody Mary's - stews, ragu, soups, even curry, you name it, it goes in. A little goes a long way. Not good for vegetarians in it's original version as it contains anchovy.

Lee & Perrins is my choice of Worcestershire sauce. "Wooster" is my pronunciation too - as in Bertie!

The city is Wooster, the county is Woostersh-er although it's spelled as if it rhymed with "fire". The sauce though is Wooster.

I don't understand why the differences but then you guys have had a lot longer to mess with the language than we have.

I love the stuff and always have it on hand.
Good to know it lasts very long as Costco sells it by the two bottle package and the bottles are big.
One bottle could last two years no problem. We keep open bottles in the fridge.
I have a friend that uses it as a marinade for steaks.
While it tastes fine, it really darkens the meat and produces an almost black outside on the steak.
I used to marinade one side of the steaks with Worcestershire and the other half with Italian dressing.
I don't marinate steaks anymore. Just salt and pepper and a very very hot grill.

Whoosh-ta-sure. That's the best way I can describe my pronunciation of this wonderful sauce.

I try it in everything. :chef:

For some things it works and others it doesn't.
Beef and beans are where it's magical properties shine.

[snip]Lee & Perrins, accept no substitutes! [snip]

If it's not Lea & Perrins it's not Worcestershire Sauce. ;)

I just wish they hadn't changed the label.
My Grandfather always asked how many tines it said Lea & Perrins on the bottle and no one ever got it right. :rolleyes:
Just doesn't work with the new label. :(

Attachments

• copy (3).jpg
    copy (3).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 170
  • copy (4).jpg
    copy (4).jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 286
  • copy (1).jpg
    copy (1).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 248
going on memory here, never a good thing, but I think the difference in formulation between the UK and US product was the US one has/had high fructose corn syrup. I have had to abandon Lea and Perrins for a brand that does not add HFCS; Annies.

My pronunciation has evolved over the years but usually has 5 syllables.

I use it in many dishes. Today I added some to small batches of egg salad and tuna salad.

edit...I see where Lea and Perrins stopped using high fructose corn syrup in 2011. Maybe I will go back to them.

Last edited:
I don't understand why the differences but then you guys have had a lot longer to mess with the language than we have.

It's just one of those things Andy. And let's not forget you have a few oddities of your own! For example - Kansas and Arkansas. Now to my English eyes, these two should be pronounced the same - Kansas and then Kansas with an R sound in front. But Arkansas is pronounced ArkanSAW! What's that all about?? :wacko:

Whoosh-ta-sure. That's the best way I can describe my pronunciation of this wonderful sauce.

I try it in everything. :chef:

For some things it works and others it doesn't.
Beef and beans are where it's magical properties shine.

If it's not Lea & Perrins it's not Worcestershire Sauce. ;)

I just wish they hadn't changed the label.
My Grandfather always asked how many tines it said Lea & Perrins on the bottle and no one ever got it right. :rolleyes:
Just doesn't work with the new label. :(

Oh, completely different! I just have the one with the orange label.

Back
Top Bottom