Would you go to...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA? Better yet, if you have visited one or both cities, which would you recommend and why?

Himself and I will be headed home from the west coast of FL just in time for our 40th wedding anniversary. Yup, 40 years, and neither of us has killed the other one...yet! :LOL: We've done a couple of day trips in Savannah, and have spent a couple nights for longer stays in the Charleston area. They are both pretty cities with things to do. They are both far enough south that they'll be on the warm side the second half of November. They both sound appealing and I can't make up my mind.

I can't think of any memorable restaurants we've eaten at in Savannah so that we have a connection to go back to one, but we thoroughly enjoyed Poogan's Porch when we were in Charleston a couple years ago. Oddly enough, when my best friend back home posted on FB that she was at Poogan's Porch for Sunday brunch while down there for a wedding, I flippantly replied that perhaps we would celebrate our 40th anniversary there. Maybe that was a foreshadowing. :huh:

So if you want to vote for one city or the other, feel free to jump in with selling points for your pick. Restaurant recommendations, things to do and see (we'll be in our anniversary city from Friday night through Monday or Tuesday), and most importantly WHY you think we should decide on your suggestion.

It will be interesting to see what you guys can come up with. Meanwhile, while you have your thinking caps on and your fingers flying, I think I'll send off a few emails to each city during the week. I'm going to wheel and deal with the visitor's bureau's of each to see if they can come up with a really sweet package deal to tempt me. Couldn't hurt. ;)

I vote for Charleston, NC and here's why:
Continuing Our Christmas Vacation… | My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert
LOVED just outside of Charleston, James Island, even thought about moving there...

We've also been to Savannah, it was okay I guess, although we took a side trip over to Tybee Island to go to the beach not long ago
Our May Travels | My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert

...but we both agreed that there is so much more to do, eat, see...
we utilized the free trolley and walked the city center, fabulous! We stayed just outside of the Historic part of town in a Holiday Inn with free, yes I said FREE parking, very conveniently located next to the trolley stop.

I didn't want to bore everyone, going on and on, so this is why I've posted links for you CG.
If you like, we're welcome to email me for more details. :)

I vote for Charleston, NC and here's why:
Continuing Our Christmas Vacation… | My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert
LOVED just outside of Charleston, James Island, even thought about moving there...

We've also been to Savannah, it was okay I guess, although we took a side trip over to Tybee Island to go to the beach not long ago
Our May Travels | My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert

...but we both agreed that there is so much more to do, eat, see...
we utilized the free trolley and walked the city center, fabulous! We stayed just outside of the Historic part of town in a Holiday Inn with free, yes I said FREE parking, very conveniently located next to the trolley stop.

I didn't want to bore everyone, going on and on, so this is why I've posted links for you CG.
If you like, we're welcome to email me for more details. :)

I really enjoyed reading both your reports Kgirl!! Well done! You didn't miss much at Paula Deen's restaurant, so no big loss. Our favorite place there was Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room . We were lucky enough to have a private dinner there with our group, as they're not open to the public for dinner. The family style food was to die for!! I'd gladly stand in the long line for lunch if I had to.

We loved both cities CG, but be sure you take a romantic carriage ride to celebrate your 40 years together!!

K-girl and Kayelle, thanks so much for the links to your blog posts. Kayelle, I'm sorry you and your darling Souschef had a poor experience at Poogan's Porch. We both enjoyed our dinners very much. When we were in Charleston a few years back we also ate at Virginia's on King. We had delicious dinners there, with a much friendlier and attentive server, and thought they were at least as good as Poogan's. After checking both menus (and prices), if we select Charleston as our destination Virginia's is leading the anniversary dinner race for now.

You've both given me lots of stuff to think about. My biggest take-away is that we must take a carriage ride! Himself swears we did go on one in Charleston ages ago, Before Children (BC). Although I remember our ghost walk in fairly good detail, I cannot for the life of me remember ever being on a carriage ride.

Gee, for our last Anniversary, we went to Staples.:LOL:
I suppose it wasn't your 40th either. ;) We usually don't do anything for our anniversary. This time, however, we're going to celebrate the fact that one of us hasn't killed the other yet. Not gonna wait until the 50th because I'm not sure a suspicious death won't happen in the next ten years...:whistling

K-girl, I actually went into this preferring Charleston right from the start. I guess I'm looking for someone to talk me into Savannah! :LOL: So far, your and Kayelle's posts are just re-affirming why we also like Charleston.

BTW, if you like cozy mystery books, there is a series that takes place in Charleston. The Tea Shop Mysteries are written by Laura Childs. The Charleston of her books is not the one you see when you visit, but you can clearly see her vision of Charleston as you read through the series. As with most book series, this one is best started with Book One. She has great character development as the books progress.

I suppose it wasn't your 40th either. ;) We usually don't do anything for our anniversary. This time, however, we're going to celebrate the fact that one of us hasn't killed the other yet. Not gonna wait until the 50th because I'm not sure a suspicious death won't happen in the next ten years...:whistling

It will be 30 years this year...:rolleyes: I will ask to go to Staples, again...maybe the bookstore.

CG.......you indeed deserve another carriage ride, especially if your last one was that long ago!
I know the cost can sometimes seem extravagant but still less than a fancy dinner for two. They are worth it to us, and some of our best travel memories from all over the world.

K-girl, I actually went into this preferring Charleston right from the start. I guess I'm looking for someone to talk me into Savannah! :LOL: So far, your and Kayelle's posts are just re-affirming why we also like Charleston.

BTW, if you like cozy mystery books, there is a series that takes place in Charleston. The Tea Shop Mysteries are written by Laura Childs. The Charleston of her books is not the one you see when you visit, but you can clearly see her vision of Charleston as you read through the series. As with most book series, this one is best started with Book One. She has great character development as the books progress.

I have to look into those books CG. Thanks for the tip.

When we returned from that southern trip, I quickly devoured https://www.goodreads.com/series/69139-savannah-quartet

That summer I read the Savannah quartet , and then everything else she wrote too.

Last edited:
If you choose Savannah, I have 3 favorite restaurants there.

Elizabeth's
Sapphire Grill
Chart House

Funny, I mentioned this thread to DH and he jumped up,

"If they're going through Charleston, tell them about the Christmas Light show on James Island, that's a must!"

... and I agree with him, if your travel plans are at the latter part of
November, you might be able to hit that highlight in your Charleston trip.

Holiday Festival of Lights, Charleston SC 2014 - James Island Country Park - Charleston Lowcountry .com

This year it starts on November 14th

We went last year and bought our tickets at the Visitors Center

Funny, I mentioned this thread to DH and he jumped up,

"If they're going through Charleston, tell them about the Christmas Light show on James Island, that's a must!"

... and I agree with him, if your travel plans are at the latter part of
November, you might be able to hit that highlight in your Charleston trip.

Holiday Festival of Lights, Charleston SC 2014 - James Island Country Park - Charleston Lowcountry .com

This year it starts on November 14th

We went last year and bought our tickets at the Visitors Center

That sounds spectacular Kgirl. I just re read that they will be there the second half of November!!

That sounds spectacular Kgirl. I just re read that they will be there the second half of November!!

Kayelle, my camera doesn't take very good night-time photos, but it was unbelievable! Every turn we made, everyone in the car, OOH'd and AAH'd and WOW look at that!
there are some walking paths as well as food vendors,
so bring some cash if you go.

It was a little cool in the evenings, so do bring a jacket to the light show.

I'd love to go back someday, but DH and I have made a pact that if we can help it, we want see as much of the United States as we can, so that means few re-visits are allowed...
well, with the exception of Oahu Hawaii of course :cool:

Kayelle, my camera doesn't take very good night-time photos, but it was unbelievable! Every turn we made, everyone in the car, OOH'd and AAH'd and WOW look at that!
there are some walking paths as well as food vendors,
so bring some cash if you go.

It was a little cool in the evenings, so do bring a jacket to the light show.

I'd love to go back someday, but DH and I have made a pact that if we can help it, we want see as much of the United States as we can, so that means few re-visits are allowed...
well, with the exception of Oahu Hawaii of course :cool:

Personally we'd opt for the train ride offered to see the lights. Steve loves any kind of train. If I showed this to him right now, we'd be headed there in a few weeks. ;)

Back
Top Bottom