Challenge! Help me create a non salty, spicy, acidity or sweet sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simon85

Assistant Cook
Hi guys,

My girlfriend has recently been diagnosed of stomach cancer and creating meals for her that she likes is such a challenge.

She has to eat lots of wholemeal foods, fruit and vegetables. She cannot eat meat, salt, spicy, acidic or sweet foods. Also we're aiming to keep the fat down too, but a little olive oil is fine.

I'm trying to create something that will cheer her up, that tastes great, if at all possible. We live in Thailand so we have access to lots of foods but she has a more Asian taste bud.

Any suggestions I would be so so grateful and it would mean the world to us right now.

Thank you

Welcome to DC, Simon85. Can your gf eat rice? I am thinking of rice-based dishes that have lots of fresh green veggies added--sauteed pea pods, zucchini, carrot (or would the sweetness be too much?), eggs. Can she eat green onions? Cilantro? Oregano? Mint? Ginger? Sweet potatoes?

I love this dish made with quinoa instead of the bulgar wheat. You can leave out the cumin if that is too spicy, substitute cinnamon. I have made this with carrots instead of sweet potato. I have also made it with winter squash or pumpkin instead of the sweet potato.

Recipe Details

You can add fresh green peas, use veggie stock, leave out the lemon or lime juice, and use fresh coriander, mint, and cinnamon for the seasonings.

Can she eat ginger? A ginger-carrot soup mint be nice.

What about fish/seafood?

I feel that it might be an idea to make a list of all ingredients that are acceptable for her including vegetables, herbs, condiments such as turmeric for example,( that is a wonderful antioxidant),perhaps coconut or/ almond milk, in fact everything that is OK,then
post here' I only have these ingredients' and we can make up some ideas for you. You don't have to list everything everytime. You can pick a selection from your 'list' and see what comes up. Hope this helps ;)

Hi, Simon. This is really a medical question rather than a cooking question. I think it would be much better if you requested from your girlfriend's oncologist a referral to a trained dietician who can provide guidance specific for her needs.

In the meantime, here's information from the National Cancer Institute about a recommended diet for stomach cancer patients: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/eatinghints/page2

can she have coconut milk or cow's milk?

there are lots of scandinavian sauces that are largely cream and herbs (but you can sub lowfat milk) that go well with fish. the sauces are white, the proteins are white, and the countries are often covered in white. :chef:

for an asian dessert, how about mango over sticky rice with a sweet coconut sauce.

can she have coconut milk or cow's milk?

there are lots of scandinavian sauces that are largely cream and herbs (but you can sub lowfat milk) that go well with fish. the sauces are white, the proteins are white, and the countries are often covered in white. :chef:
Where I come from, that's called snowblindness:). At Christmas time, almost every dish on the table was white...if it wasn't white, whipped cream or mayonnaise could fix that.

Thank you everyone so much for your replies! I will write back when I have time,

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom